West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Waiting for Pardew/Ashley or Lambias on the steps..

"If we have got this wrong there is a bullet with our names on it.."

....think there are bullets like that anyway to be fair..

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/11/11/article-0-00EECEC100000191-652_306x199.jpg

Surely we could have got a player out of liverpool in return.. wheres our Keith Gillespie?

Been extremely busy all day and just got back in. Have we been linked with anyone to come in? Does it look like there is a contingency plan?

Unbelievable money for Carroll from Liverpool. Never should have been accepted though, unless the club were prepared for this scenario and had a plan in place to get players in to counter the loss.

Any word on players we might get in having sold Andy?

Been extremely busy all day and just got back in. Have we been linked with anyone to come in? Does it look like there is a contingency plan?

Unbelievable money for Carroll from Liverpool. Never should have been accepted though, unless the club were prepared for this scenario and had a plan in place to get players in to counter the loss.

:lol:

None, because we wont receive any money it goes directly into Fat Mikes pocket.

Would anyone expect us to sign a young talent with only partially realised potential for 35 million quid? No? Then, as hard as it is to swallow, why should we expect to keep such a player, even if he is "homegrown" and supposedly "one of us"? This is business, not a boy's own annual.

Imo, it makes sense to take this sort of crazy money, and then to invest it in order to deepen the squad. I know it's not what big clubs do, but - news flash - we're NOT a big club ... at the moment. Providing we can maintain our PL status this season, and then invest the funds wisely over the summer, this sale can be used to consolidate a top 6 place in the PL in seasons to come, and from there the move to "big club" status can be plotted.

Is it not possible that from a bigger picture perspective, Andy Carroll might have done the best thing he could have done for NUFC - that is, to bolster our 2011-12 EPL war chest by 35 million quid (substantially more than we would have been likely to get for him in the summer)?     

Way too sensible.

Cue some bullshit exclusive from Carroll about his position at the club being untenable when his second father Hughton was sacked.  I won't buy for one minute, you mercenary tit.

Fuck everybody involved on this one.  If we had a good replacement lined up, then I would say, "jettison the prick."  Buy a dude with a broken leg, secure the contract of one of the best midfielders in the country?  That's the frustrating part.  Ashley has been consistent in one way.

Build the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, and then carpet bomb them into dust right after completion.  Rebuild them with cheaper labor, then bomb them with even more expensive and sophisticated ordnance.  It's like Newcastle is his very own sadistic game of Civilization.

What do you think the reaction will be the next time the teams meet and he's involved? I think it could get quite heated. Obviously players come and go but at Newcastle there is always a special bond between the fans and local lads and Carroll epitomised that, he did what we all wanted to do as kids;scored goals, wore the number 9 shirt and was loved for it.

He's burned his bridges though for me, he joins that elite club containing the likes of Don Hutchinson and Graeme Fenton. He might have been born up here but as far as I'm concerned he's relinquished all rights to call himself a Geordie.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Everyone get a grip man, £35 million and he's decided he wants to go. How's that ashley's fault you utter morons.

It's times like this I hate being a Newcastle fan because 85% of our fans are idiots.

It's £35 million! Imagine what we can do with that?! How does anyone know it won't be reinvested? When has Ashley ever 'kept' any transfer fees?

I'd rather he wasn't going, but it's his choice, and I hope he's fucking shite, breaks his legs, goes to prison, and gets aids

As much as i loved Carroll he could be a one-season wonder. I can't see him being one, IMO he's just got too much about him: Unbeliveably good in the air, quick and powerful. £35m is 35m for a 22 year-old in his first season in the prem is a brilliant bit of business especially considering he put in a transfer request. My only genuine worry is with all the other teams getting stronger this window we've gotten weaker. We have three hours to get a striker, i'd prefer it to be on loan until the end of the season, who will score the goals to get the ten or so points to keep us up so we can hopefully spend this £35m on a great striker to wear the black and white #9 and wear it with pride. I hope Carroll's thigh injury ends his career like a similar injury ruined Woodgates.

I feel sick.

This is worse than relegation.

Edit: sorry, but really?! :lol:

Sorry, but I genuinely feel like that.

Relegation felt awful.  This feels worse.

Then I really do feel sorry for you.

Hope you feel better, mate!

I feel sick.

This is worse than relegation.

Edit: sorry, but really?! :lol:

Sorry, but I genuinely feel like that.

Relegation felt awful.  This feels worse.

Are you radio rental??

Everyone get a grip man, £35 million and he's decided he wants to go. How's that ashley's fault you utter morons.

It's times like this I hate being a Newcastle fan because 85% of our fans are idiots.

It's £35 million! Imagine what we can do with that?! How does anyone know it won't be reinvested? When has Ashley ever 'kept' any transfer fees?

I'd rather he wasn't going, but it's his choice, and I hope he's fucking shite, breaks his legs, goes to prison, and gets aids

Seriously, what do you get out of mouthing off like that? People are upset, and rightly so. Ashley's track record suggests whatever he does will be in his best interests first and the club second.