West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Richard Buxton ‏@Richard_Buxton_

Informed by #LFC that Carroll's absence from squad for tomorrow is precautionary due to injury & is being rested for next week's second leg.

Suarez and Bellamy are both at the Olympics, does that make Borini the only striker?  Rodgers must really want shot of Carroll. 

It's because he likes to play passing football and when you put players like Carroll into the team that tends to go out of the window. Liverpool won't get back into the top six if they play Donkey Kong up front. Same reason we should stay clear IMO.

Guest bimpy474

Suarez and Bellamy are both at the Olympics, does that make Borini the only striker?  Rodgers must really want shot of Carroll. 

It's because he likes to play passing football and when you put players like Carroll into the team that tends to go out of the window. Liverpool won't get back into the top six if they play Donkey Kong up front. Same reason we should stay clear IMO.

Complete and utter horseplop.

You can definitely play good football with Carroll in the team, at least in theory. The problem is that actual footballers seem almost impossible to convince that they shouldn't just launch the ball to him as an easy option. Don't think it's his fault at all.

It's been said before it's not Carroll's technique which is the percieved problem, it's his movement.

Naturally players like Ba, Marveaux, Cisse, Ben Arfa etc etc will all have better movement and suited to carpet football but that doesn't mean you couldn't fit Carroll into that way of playing.

You can definitely play good football with Carroll in the team, at least in theory. The problem is that actual footballers seem almost impossible to convince that they shouldn't just launch the ball to him as an easy option. Don't think it's his fault at all.

That was my point. I said when he went to Liverpool that it might end up messing their game up and here we are less than a year later and they are desperately trying to sell him. Is he a bad player? Not really, he's just not anywhere near as good as strikers like Ba and Cisse on the deck. In the air he's better...but guess what that means as far as game plans go?

It's been said before it's not Carroll's technique which is the percieved problem, it's his movement.

Naturally players like Ba, Marveaux, Cisse, Ben Arfa etc etc will all have better movement and suited to carpet football but that doesn't mean you couldn't fit Carroll into that way of playing.

The fact he stands with one hand in the air in front of centre half when the ball is in our own half appealing to have the ball hoofed to him is the main problem. Movement is shocking.

Guest bimpy474

He has only played for us and Liverpool, neither teams launched it long, in fact we played more long ball under Pardew to Demba's bonce than we ever did when Carroll was in the team (under Hoots mainly).

Its lazy and utter nonsense to say that when you have Carroll in the team, the team will launch it. It hasn't happened yet and just because teams have a big player up front doesn't mean they have to smash it. Its down to the manager what kind of football you play. Llorente and Bilbao are the perfect example of good football despite a big player up front (in no way am i saying Carroll is as good as Llorente).

This long ball and Carroll crap is just getting on my nerves and there isn't one iota of substance in it at all.

If Liverpool weren't playing it long and Carroll is good with that ball at his feet then why was he playing so badly there? Seems like a contradiction to say Liverpool weren't playing "his way" but say he's not just good in the air.

The fact he stands with one hand in the air in front of centre half when the ball is in our own half appealing to have the ball hoofed to him is the main problem. Movement is shocking.

Agreed, for what's it worth i'm against the move i would much rather someone like Remy if possible. Someone who has good movement, pace and trickery as well being comfortable all across the front line.

But the whole Carroll = hoofball mentality i don't subscribe too, i think you can play good football with someone like Carroll in the side.

Guest bimpy474

We played a lot of long ball stuff with Hughton.

I didn't think so, i thought we sat back and gave up a lot of possession in some games away from home, which bugged me to be honest.

I'm not arguing for or against him coming back, its just this launch it stuff when he's in the team is complete nonsense.

We played a lot of long ball stuff with Hughton.

I didn't think so, i thought we sat back and gave up a lot of possession in some games away from home, which bugged me to be honest.

I'm not arguing for or against him coming back, its just this launch it stuff when he's in the team is complete nonsense.

Actually, I think we did not do much long ball either. What we did do was rely on Barton's crosses and set plays to good effect. And I really doubt Carroll has been given much of a chance either playing with players who would play the passing game whether it be for us, for Liverpool or for England, which is why I've yet to give any judgment as to whether it's his presence that makes the team hoof it or the kind of players that he plays with.