West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

this could be whats holding everything else up (anita,debuchy). we need a forward, full back, centre mid, if we get the forward for a loan fee it could well free up a bit for those others. however i can understand liverpool holding out as long as possible in the hope someone comes in with any sort of offer rather than lose face in loaning him back to us.

We need a centre-half as well tbf

this could be whats holding everything else up (anita,debuchy). we need a forward, full back, centre mid, if we get the forward for a loan fee it could well free up a bit for those others. however i can understand liverpool holding out as long as possible in the hope someone comes in with any sort of offer rather than lose face in loaning him back to us.

We need a centre-half as well tbf

not as much as the others and I think douglas will be in either very late (after he has his dutch national qualification thing) or in january at a much reduced price with him being out of contract in the summer. (he is isn't he ?)

Do we really need a centre mid? at least as much as we need a centre back? I'd argue getting Saylor some genuine quality competition is more important than getting centre mid.

Going by reports and quotes, Pardew seems to disagree but there you go.

Set up to join us TBH. I've always had my view that Newcastle and Carroll have an agreement that he will rejoin us, even if Liverpool want to dig their heels in.

Liverpool will come under increasing pressure to let him go, the turning point will be when a player becomes available to Liverpool at the end of the window and they need to move Carroll on.

The fact that Liverpool accepted a bid from West Ham means that they have a starting point for negotiations too.

I can only see this ending in one way, if we still want him.

Guest BooBoo

Centre mids we have Cabaye, Tiote, Gosling, Abeid, Vuckic and Bigi.

At a push you can play Jonas there.

Basically only two proven quality central midfielders, can see why Pards wants to strengthen there.

Guest Chubby Jason

Any word on what fee was agreed?

£2m for the loan then a further £17 to make it permanent iirc.

If we got them down to £15 million I'd be happy with that.

Do we really need a centre mid? at least as much as we need a centre back? I'd argue getting Saylor some genuine quality competition is more important than getting centre mid.

Going by reports and quotes, Pardew seems to disagree but there you go.

yes on two levels, first i wouildn't want to go any length of time with cabaye or tiote out, also for all jonas has looked OK on the ball when nearer the middle he still just chases the ball regardless when playing there and doesn't really have the vision for it.

Basically only two proven quality central midfielders, can see why Pards wants to strengthen there.

True, btw i'd argue Jonas is better at CM than he ever was out wide all his best attributes suit a CM.

We do need a CM quite frankly, but we also need a CB just as much. Up to Pardew and the management what they consider more important.

I hate saying this, but i think the performances of Perch last season and the promise of Tavernier and Good has put a CM in front of a CB at this time.

As long as we get a RB, Forward and a CM/CB i won't be complaining in any case.

Set up to join us TBH. I've always had my view that Newcastle and Carroll have an agreement that he will rejoin us, even if Liverpool want to dig their heels in.

Liverpool will come under increasing pressure to let him go, the turning point will be when a player becomes available to Liverpool at the end of the window and they need to move Carroll on.

The fact that Liverpool accepted a bid from West Ham means that they have a starting point for negotiations too.

I've always thought that there is something going on here.  It's weird how Pardew always praises Carroll when he was only his manager for about 7 weeks and for which Carroll was injured for at least 4-5 weeks of that time.  He cannot have worked with him enough to back him in public as much as he does.  Also, Dekka got a bit touchy when Carroll received stick in one of our matches against Liverpool and actually managed to write something in the programme the following week to criticise our fans for giving Carroll a hard time. 

Anyway, if Carroll only wants to come to us then Liverpool have a problem.  The papers say they need to sell in order to raise money to buy players.  So does Rodgers sell him at a knock down price or pay another £4m a year in wages to a player he doesn't want, probably won't play and who will be worth less with every passing window.

Agree. Still not sure what to make of it.

I'm not saying he will definately join us but I highly doubt he will join any other club with us sniffing about. Combine that with the probability that Liverpool want rid and there was only really one solution.

The trouble is that we won't pay over the odds for anyone and Liverpool will want to save face in terms of a transfer fee.

I think Carroll could play a big part if he is willing to drop his bonuses, wages etc to come back. I'd guess that he probably would, since he will have made a fortune in his first year at Liverpool.

Plus Perch and Raylor who've both played there last season. Marveaux can play there too, and then there's some that say Amalfitano looks a CM. I'd say we're rather well stocked in central midfield personally, especially compared to central defense. I can't see our interest in Anita being anything other than as a Tiote replacement in case we receive a big bid for him.

Don't think we will sign a centre half now. I think we have kept our powder dry and are taking a risk on Curtis Good being a squad player. Perhaps our supposed suprised interest in a striker and centre midfielder are the reason behind this.

We clearly rate Good highly and there are three senior players ahead of him in the pecking order. Then there's Perch and Simpson for extreme crises.

I'll be surprised if we sign another first team centre half, the Douglas stuff is probably in case Taylor breaks down again or we accept... nah I don't want to think about it.

Douglas has publicly stated time and time again he was ready with playing in Holland. He's just biding his time before he's qualified to play for Holland and he will move based on terms already agreed. Don't know if it's with us though, but would be very surprised if he was still at FC Twente come September 3rd (or whatever the day past deadline day is).

Plus Perch and Raylor who've both played there last season. Marveaux can play there too, and then there's some that say Amalfitano looks a CM. I'd say we're rather well stocked in central midfield personally, especially compared to central defense. I can't see our interest in Anita being anything other than as a Tiote replacement in case we receive a big bid for him.

yes perch and raylor both played there. would you feel comfortable either of those two playing there for say, a spell of 6 games ? we have numbers in central midfield but none outside of cabaye and tiote i'd happily be there for a long spell.

We clearly rate Good highly and there are three senior players ahead of him in the pecking order. Then there's Perch and Simpson for extreme crises.

I'll be surprised if we sign another first team centre half, the Douglas stuff is probably in case Taylor breaks down again or we accept... nah I don't want to think about it.

go on say it........

...or we accept williamson isn't good enough.

Yeah i don't think we will sign a CB either, i know we shouldn't pay 100% attention to reports especially considering of what happened in January.

But our summer has been dominated with RB, CM and Striker searches, so i have to believe those are the 3 positions we are trying to strengthen.

Hopefully Saylor can stay away from long term injury.

I think the Carroll transfer will be key to our summer.  If we can sign him on loan for a minimal outlay this summer (2m fee being mentioned) I think this could free up the transfer budget to bring in a CB, RB, and DM (Debuchy, Douglas & Anita?).

Given we have already brought in around 5 million (Best and Forster) and have offloaded Lovenkrands, Smith, Guthrie etcs wages + its still looks like Simpson could be offloaded for 3 or 4 million, it could leave us with a budget capable of vastly improving the squad.

If however we cannot get Carroll and look at other options (Remy etc) it will take a massive chunk out of this summers budget and surely must have an impact on our overall spend.