West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm not feeling good about this. But I stand with what I said previously, 30M and reinvest them all back into the team and we have a deal.

That would be absolutely insane.

There's no price I would sell Carroll for right now - our main guarantee against relegation, local lad and future England star, unplayable on his day, etc etc.

There's no profit to be had in selling Carroll at this point, and I still think he's not going anywhere. It's just the usual transfer window speculation.

Well ya we would be relegated if we didn't replace him, that's why I said I agree only if the 30M will be reinvested to strengthen the team all over. Carrol has massive potential but he is far from the finish product. It is the Geordie hero part that is making us overestimate his ability. We can get a better non English striker for 20M.

Disagree, I've heard many impartial commentators talk about him as a future star, people with nothing to do with NUFC and who usually spend their time criticising us.

Yes, we could stay up if we bought £30m pounds-worth of average players, but to achieve anything approaching success or progress we need to retain players like Carroll. Actually, there are no players like Carroll, so we need to keep him specifically!

30M pounds of average players? How much do you think players like VDV cost Spurs? Even Dzeko the most sought striker in Europe only cost 27M and that is by City's inflated standard.

No players like Carroll? What do you mean? He is the best striker in the world?

I'm not feeling good about this. But I stand with what I said previously, 30M and reinvest them all back into the team and we have a deal.

That would be absolutely insane.

There's no price I would sell Carroll for right now - our main guarantee against relegation, local lad and future England star, unplayable on his day, etc etc.

There's no profit to be had in selling Carroll at this point, and I still think he's not going anywhere. It's just the usual transfer window speculation.

Well ya we would be relegated if we didn't replace him, that's why I said I agree only if the 30M will be reinvested to strengthen the team all over. Carrol has massive potential but he is far from the finish product. It is the Geordie hero part that is making us overestimate his ability. We can get a better non English striker for 20M.

Disagree, I've heard many impartial commentators talk about him as a future star, people with nothing to do with NUFC and who usually spend their time criticising us.

Yes, we could stay up if we bought £30m pounds-worth of average players, but to achieve anything approaching success or progress we need to retain players like Carroll. Actually, there are no players like Carroll, so we need to keep him specifically!

30M pounds of average players? How much do you think players like VDV cost Spurs? Even Dzeko the most sought striker in Europe only cost 27M and that is by City's inflated standard.

No players like Carroll? What do you mean? He is the best striker in the world?

Which striker do you realistically think we can replace him with who a) is on the same level as him and b) would want to join us in our current predicament for c) wages that fit our operating model?

Which striker do you realistically think we can replace him with who a) is on the same level as him and b) would want to join us in our current predicament for c) wages that fit our operating model?

Probably not to the standard as Carroll, but on the day we've just signed a France international with the ability to be a world beater for about £4m, this comment surprises me.

Probably not to the standard as Carroll, but on the day we've just signed a France international with the ability to be a world beater for about £4m, this comment surprises me.

Are you more surprised by my comment than by the fact that Ben Arfa has joined us, because I know I still can't quite believe the latter. Why would a player of his ability be hell bent on joining us of all clubs? I am very happy he was, but I don't think it will be a very common occurrence, do you?

Are you more surprised by my comment than by the fact that Ben Arfa has joined us, because I know I still can't quite believe the latter. Why would a player of his ability be hell bent on joining us of all clubs? I am very happy he was, but I don't think it will be a very common occurrence, do you?

Tiote £3.5m? Our last two signings, potential top class players, for £7.5m.

Tiote £3.5m? Our last two signings, potential top class players, for £7.5m.

I wouldn't say Tiote came with the same pedigree as did Ben Arfa. Most of you didn't even know him ffs..

If your point is about taking gambles on up and coming players rather than has beens I fully agree (see my opinion on Bentley), but I don't see what that has to do with keeping Carroll?

You don't move forward by selling your best players. Yes if it's a Thierry Henry situation where you look at their age, injuries, form and so on and decide they are on the way downhill. Or Ronaldinho at Barca where you decide the player's heart isnt in it any more and may not rediscover his form. But not a 21 year old hometown player who wants to stay and has his career ahead of him. We let our talented players go in the 80s and it didn't do us any good. Look at Everton since Rooney left as an example, they have done alright but it didn't move them forward.

Yes that money could be reinvested but unless Man City come in with crazy money then we'd be mad to sell him. Not just for what we'd lose on the field but in terms of the message it would send out to everyone - current players, prospective players, fans, the lot. Let's not do a West Ham and become a feeder club for the big clubs.

Because if someone comes in with a bid of £30m for a player, no matter who he is, that's a serious offer that would be accepted by most chairmen and for most players.

Only Man City would offer that much for a striker with 11 goals in the Premier League. I would imagine Spurs' offer to be somewhere near half that.

But anyway, even if we did receive a tempting offer such as that, everyone knows you're loaded and you won't get deals like the Ben Arfa or Tiote one. A they know you're desperate for a replacement and B they know you're flush with cash. Look how much Liverpool forked out for Aquilani after the whole world saw them get a huge amount for Alonso.

Guest Haris Vuckic
Scottwilsonecho Scott Wilson

And the 'breaking' Carroll news is hardly revelatory either. Redknapp was told there'd be no sale after the game at Spurs last Tues.

Because if someone comes in with a bid of £30m for a player, no matter who he is, that's a serious offer that would be accepted by most chairmen and for most players.

Of course it is.

He's a very promising player, but 30 million pounds is a huge amount of money for a player with so little top flight experience. This isn't just about Ashley or Newcastle, every single chairman in the league - bar one or possibly two - would think very, very seriously about that sort of cash.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6635801,00.html

How can they keep stirring like that?

"The controversial business plans of Mike Ashley are also a factor, with conjecture suggesting that the Newcastle owner is running the club as a business in his long-term plans to sell-up and that he would be prepared to listen to offers for any player."

We've just been asked how much we wanted, and we said fuck off.  How can this suggest we'll listen to any offer?

"The controversial business plans of Mike Ashley are also a factor, with conjecture suggesting that the Newcastle owner is running the club as a business in his long-term plans to sell-up and that he would be prepared to listen to offers for any player."

We've just been asked how much we wanted, and we said fuck off.  How can this suggest we'll listen to any offer?

This is what I hate about the football press... they just invent absolute bollocks based on total speculation.

It also annoys me when my Dad believes it all and is convinced Ashley is looking to asset-strip the club.

Totally infuriating.

We've just been asked how much we wanted, and we said f*** off.  How can this suggest we'll listen to any offer?

They do have around the clock sports and news channels to keep going. They can, arguably, get more mileage out of inventing stories than they do out of reporting real facts.

Of course it is.

He's a very promising player, but 30 million pounds is a huge amount of money for a player with so little top flight experience. This isn't just about Ashley or Newcastle, every single chairman in the league - bar one or possibly two - would think very, very seriously about that sort of cash.

Yup agree with this, I would not sell for less but 30M is serious money. For some perspective of how much 30M is, VDV cost 8M, Edin Dzeko the most sought after striker cost City 27M, Ozil the hottest property after the WC cost Madrid 16.6M...so if we put sentiments aside, 30M for Carroll is a lot of money.

I take Ohmelads point that prices might be inflated if other clubs know that we have 30M to burn, but we can do the transfers simultaneously and only pull all the triggers at the same time when we got the deal we want, in other words don't sell till we got the deal for the 3-4 players we want sorted. 

Carroll's nowhere near good enough man  :lol:

Your mental if you think Carroll has suddendly become a good player after playing a good twenty mins for us,every other time I have seen him play hes being pure shit.

Carroll is shit.

He'd be out of his depth in the baby pool at wet n wild.

Awful, awful footballer. At this level anyway.

Anyone actually think Fat Mike got a plan for this? I mean, £30+ mill and he still says NO? I think that's a highly doubtful scenario... Fat Mike will unfortunately be willing to cash in any priced assets to try to run his cash account in ++++++++++ cuz them McDonalds are starting to increase in price - needs to keep his weight up! :)