West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Since your thick as shit i'm not surprised you didn't understand.

:lol:

Really I'm not going to bother with the primordial retards that infest this forum anymore.

It is a sad inditement of this country that a horrendous cretin with a brain more defunct than Cliff Richard's penis is allowed to address a refined intellect such as mine with crass abandon. Hopefully the job centre put you on a literacy course so you may actually be able to spell words with more than one syllable.

As for Carroll, hopefully he'll improve and start scoring the goals we need to gain promotion.

Guest palnese

Name him for the reserves, he clearly thinks he's made it, when really he's done fuck all.

Just like the rest of the first-team squad.

Guest Heneage

Name him for the reserves, he clearly thinks he's made it, when really he's done f*** all.

Just like the rest of the first-team squad.

I'd debate Nolan and by the sounds of it Enrique, and maybe even Harper.

Since your thick as s*** i'm not surprised you didn't understand.

:lol:

Really I'm not going to bother with the primordial retards that infest this forum anymore.

It is a sad inditement of this country that a horrendous cretin with a brain more defunct than Cliff Richard's penis is allowed to address a refined intellect such as mine with crass abandon. Hopefully the job centre put you on a literacy course so you may actually be able to spell words with more than one syllable.

As for Carroll, hopefully he'll improve and start scoring the goals we need to gain promotion.

:rolleyes: mm the fact that you have 'Ramage is to defenders what Chris Benoit is to babysitters' under your avatar and also in your signature sums it up to me, you think your hilarious when in reality its just sad.  Keep up the good work. 

Guest winchestermag

Heard his name 4 times, he's had his chance

I heard his name when Harewood took an apparently presentable chance off him with a ridiculous overhead kick attempt. :thup:

Carroll would have had a free header had Harewood not tried the spectacular overhead kick

Really I'm not going to bother with the primordial retards that infest this forum anymore

Get used to it mate - or as I have done, give em back as good (or better) than they give out.

And Carroll ? He's been a MASSIVE disappointment, and shows little sign of cutting it even in this league.

Harewood has shown nothing so far warranting keeping him after his loan period.

Shola, for all the crap aimed at him, HAS produced. He's as injury prone as Owen (probably more genuine injuries) though

I was there last night and have been to most games this season and struggle to see how he actually gets a game. Ranger is far better than him and at least can hold the ball up. Carroll is over 6 foot yet cant win a header against the defenders and always gets out muscled. Oh and when it comes to his shooting  :tickedoff:

Stephen Carr is a premiership player

When I say 'top premiership player' I mean a player worthy of being in the top league, who'll stay there consistently.

You mean like Stephen Carr, who but for a one year stint has been there consistently since about 1996.

I think those of us with sense know that since 2004, Carr hasn't been worthy a place in a premiership team

Guest toonlass

is Carroll the youngster always turning up late for training, as said on that report on nufc.com, or who is it? Anyone know?

Which report?

Guest Heneage

is Carroll the youngster always turning up late for training, as said on that report on nufc.com, or who is it? Anyone know?

Which report?

Bout 3/4 down, it's a blog. It does sound like Carroll.

Guest toonlass

The latest jottings from The Times 'wor correspondent' on the state of the Geordie Nation:

Congratulations to Chris Hughton and a bouquet of poison ivy for Mike  Ashley - at the contrary, contradictory, baffling, extraordinary club that is Newcastle United, it is possible to offer both. A team that has hovered around the summit of the Coca Cola Championship this season is simultaneously teetering on a precipice; only tortured analogies can encapsulate the chaos of Barrack Road.

To begin, a disclaimer: second-guessing Ashley's intentions is futile. Making sense of a senseless regime is impossible. But after two years of decline, five managers, Dennis Wise, relegation, cost-cutting, redundancies, admissions of deliberately misleading supporters and dunder-headed policy, we have precedent to point to and Newcastle's owner is incapable of stringing two good decisions together.

So Ashley-s offer to Hughton of a permanent contract (nothing has been signed) can be interpreted in any number of ways, from recognition that a takeover saga has drifted towards stalemate, to an attempt to embrace stability, to a puppet-master's machinations. But whatever the reason and however it fits the sportswear retailer's agenda, we already know that failure lies at the heart of his governance.

On a facile, immediate level, Hughton’s appointment would carry logic with it. He, like his players, has done a fine job under testing circumstances, reacting to demotion with principle, fortitude and the avoidance of hysteria. He is a sound coach who gives little away in public – too little, if anything – who is well-liked by a first-team squad which has been pared back to the bone.

To judge from Newcastle’s lurches into crisis, you would think that St James’ Park sits on seismic fault-lines and at least Hughton offers continuity. We should not forget that as recently as two months ago, Newcastle were – incredibly - talking to both Joe Kinnear and David O’Leary. Where Ashley is concerned, things can always get worse and perhaps fan can console themselves with minor mercies.

There is a connected argument, too. How reasonable is it to expect a team and coaching staff to function efficiently under temporary leadership, when nobody knows if tomorrow will bring new ownership or management? As the campaign has matured and amid largely positive results – this is written before Scunthorpe United – such short-termism cannot be sustainable.

In spite of his earlier enthusiasm (we know now that nothing said by his regime can be taken at face value), Ashley’s refusal to name Alan Shearer as manager was because he did not want Newcastle’s next custodians – ha! - to be encumbered with someone else’s man. And he stated in the Sunday Times at the weekend that he would elevate Hughton if he could not sell the club.

Fans can draw their own conclusions - the mood feels leaden - but it would be premature to take a wrecking ball to Barry Moat’s hopes of unseating Ashley. There are obvious conflicts about the structure of payments and Ashley is clearly not convinced about Moat’s financial wherewithal, but a formal offer has been made and negotiations have not yet broken off.

Those close to the deal retain the gut feeling that Ashley “is a seller.” In other words, he wants out. Nothing more has been heard from a South African consortium, but Seymour Pierce, the investment bank, are still engaged to sell Newcastle. As things stand, it would not be incompatible for Hughton to be offered a contract until the end of the season and for the club to remain on the market.

Wishful thinking, perhaps, although under Ashley there is scope for nothing else; no rationale or substance to base theories on and precious little communication. There is only blind hope. And once you delve beyond the league table, the victories, the spirit of the side – best not mention Nottingham Forest – there are significant issues regarding the Hughton scenario and what, feasibly, it might entail.

Where is the strategy on Tyneside? Who, to paraphrase that renowned political genius George W. Bush (and, yes, that was sarcastic), are the deciders? Who determines the things that are not just about daily training sessions, team selections and tactics, which will affect the club for months down the line? Scouting, player identification, sports science and medicine are not seat-of-the-pants operations.

A couple of months ago, Steve Bruce was already making plans for Sunderland’s next pre-season, for possible opponents and training camps. That might not appear the most earth-shattering issue, but are similar things being examined on Gallowgate? Niall Quinn has said that a cornerstone of his leadership is about looking at the transfer window after the next one. Newcastle, meanwhile, are asleep at the wheel.

This is what Kevin Nolan, the midfield player, said in the Newcastle Journal on Monday. “We need to strengthen. We’ve been saying this for a long, long time and it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. We need to strengthen the squad if we are going to give ourselves the best chance of going up. Chris Hughton needs the right backing … it is frustrating to have to keep saying it.”

Is persuasion, cajoling, in Hughton’s armoury? And, just as importantly, does he have time for it given that he, along with Colin Calderwood and Paul Barron, is also responsible for coaching? When Shearer was briefly in charge at the end of last season, Paul Ferris undertook a necessary and comprehensive review of the whole football set-up. Did that wither on the vine when Shearer departed?

Here is some information. When Shearer arrived, he insisted that the first-team squad ate together, something he picked up from Sir Bobby Robson and something which Fabio Capello, amongst others, insists upon, too. This is not a criticism – it can’t be when results have been so self-evidently positive – but an observation: it no longer happens.

A rigorous system of fines, implemented by Shearer, is still in operation, but this column knows of one younger player who has been persistently late for training. Shearer made ice baths and extra treatment compulsory for injured players, grappling with the malingerers, and while the Newcastle squad is now too small to carry passengers, has this, too, gone away?

Shearer, meanwhile, has been consumed by the prospect of management. He has waited patiently all summer for developments, seen players he wished to keep move on and bitten his tongue. Every time either Ashley or Derek Llambias, the managing director, opened their mouths, the takeover cause was delayed further, but Shearer held firm. Now, though, he would certainly entertain other offers.

The point to all this? That Newcastle have become genuine candidates for automatic promotion is not an illusion. The team, with senior professionals assuming greater responsibility, have found something within themselves and self-motivated. They are where they are on merit and Hughton deserves enormous credit for the role he has played.

Ashley, though, warrants none. This is a man who compares his outlay on Newcastle to that of fans who repeatedly spend above their means on a club they adore, as if loyalty and affection can be measured by your bank account. He is the opposite of King Midas, a man whose every touch turns another part of Tyneside to rubble. They are where they are in spite of him. And where they are is straddling a knife-edge.

--------------------------------------------------

Sorry to be pedantic, but how does that sound like Carroll? It just says "one young player".

If i had to guess i'd probably say Ranger, given that Hughton's attitude towards his talents seems to have changed recently

If i had to guess i'd probably say Ranger, given that Hughton's attitude towards his talents seems to have changed recently

L8 (like a banana).