West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Suarez is better than Carroll, ergo Carroll's price should be lower than £23m.

The only reason we'll get close to £40m for him is because he's English. Torres will be going for that amount, man! It's an insane price for someone like Carroll.

says who?

If you think Carroll is better than Suarez, you're daft.

Suarez is a big gamble considering the amount of strikers with much better goal records who've come out of Holland and flopped.

I'm not saying he's better than Carroll, but honestly he has proven that he's a good striker for the national team too during the world cup. Afonso Alves, Mateja Kezman, and those guys never proved it for their national teams in a big tournament.

He hardly set the place on fire, man. He got 3 goals.

3 goals in a World Cup in a team with two other strikers getting a few share of the goals is pretty good. I'm not saying he set the place on fire, I just said he's more proven on the international stage than Kezman and Afonso Alves, and even Dirk Kuyt were. He scored 16 in 38 for Uruguay which isn't very bad.

He's also a way better goalkeeper than Carroll.

On that logic we should sign David Healy. The "international stage" is far weaker than the domestic one.

On that logic we should look to promote you as Chief Scout at the club. I mean Northern Ireland finished 4th in the World Cup and Healy was one of the major reasons why they reached there. Healy also scored 81 in 108 for his club which played in the Champions League.

No...just no...

Sorry like but there's a very long list of players who have been bought off the back of three or four games at a major tournament and absolutely bombed.

Suarez might be fantastic but judging him because he scored two goals against South Korea (their back four made up mainly of players from the Saudi league) is very ill advised. He's got one goal in this year's Champions League and they got knocked out, so I wouldn't go bandying that around as evidence of his ability to do it in England.

Of course, I'm not disagreeing with you, but there's also a very big chance of him succeeding it all depends to how he adapts, what I'm saying is that there's no doubt he has talent. He's proven it for Ajax and he's proven it in arguably the biggest tournament of the world (at least for me it is). However, nothing says he's a sure thing in the Premier League, or Bundesliga or Seria A or even the Irish league. I'm just saying that he's a good player ;)

Are people seriously arguing that Carroll is better than Suarez on the basis of his half good season this year? Fair enough if people want to question whether Suarez can adapt to the premiership (though his physical size tells me that he will), but it's not like Carroll has proven that he is good in the Premiership season after season. Get a grip of yourself, stop being delusional, those who think Carroll is better than the likes of Suarez is as bad as Mackems who were worshiping Bent before he left.  Utter embarrassment  :facepalm:

Carroll's proved that he's pretty fucking dynamite in the PL. Suarez hasn't, obviously. He's looked good in a poor league and against poor players in the WC. Obviously, Carroll is by far the safer bet for PL clubs.

If there's one thing that's been rammed down our throats in the last few years, it's that players who look special in other leagues aren't guarenteed to make any impact in the PL. Away from NUFC, I can think of the likes of Morientes, Crespo and Kezman.

The reason I rate Suarez is because he has the physical attributes to succeed. He's not just the type of striker who's in the right place at the right time, like Inzaghi who wouldn't have been as successful in the Premiership. He's got strength, pace, two good feet and he can head the ball. He's not Kuyt who's too slow for the Premiership. He's not Kezman who wasn't pacy nor strong, and he's not Alves who only had one good season.

Suarez has scored most of his goals in a weak league, sure, but he's also scored in Europe and he's also scored for Uruguay. The physical attributes is the most impressive thing about him, and it's why I'd take him over Carroll this instant.

Morientes was past it when he joined Liverpool and Kezman wasn't up to it physically. I don't think Crespo was a failure in English football (better than 2 in 1 in the league) and Mourinho never gave him a chance.

The reason I rate Suarez is because he has the physical attributes to succeed. He's not just the type of striker who's in the right place at the right time, like Inzaghi who wouldn't have been as successful in the Premiership. He's got strength, pace, two good feet and he can head the ball. He's not Kuyt who's too slow for the Premiership. He's not Kezman who wasn't pacy nor strong, and he's not Alves who only had one good season.

Suarez has scored most of his goals in a weak league, sure, but he's also scored in Europe and he's also scored for Uruguay. The physical attributes is the most impressive thing about him, and it's why I'd take him over Carroll this instant.

Morientes was past it when he joined Liverpool and Kezman wasn't up to it physically. I don't think Crespo was a failure in English football (better than 2 in 1 in the league) and Mourinho never gave him a chance.

He is more physically impressive than Carroll? ???

Andy Carroll?

Carroll's proved that he's pretty fucking dynamite in the PL. Suarez hasn't, obviously. He's looked good in a poor league and against poor players in the WC. Obviously, Carroll is by far the safer bet for PL clubs.

If there's one thing that's been rammed down our throats in the last few years, it's that players who look special in other leagues aren't guarenteed to make any impact in the PL. Away from NUFC, I can think of the likes of Morientes, Crespo and Kezman.

why does it always have to be extremes? :lol:

carroll has had half a good season in the PL, which is half a season more than Suarez

that's the long and short of it - you can debate potential all day long but carroll is 'ahead' in the PL stakes and that's all there is too it, not FAR ahead mind

Andy Carroll?

he didn't say he was ffs :lol:

this debate is shit, why are they even being compared?  fwiw i also think suarez will succeed but it's far from guaranteed

Andy Carroll?

That's not what I said.

Suarez's physical attributes, combined with his pedigree, technical ability and obvious goalscoring instinct, makes him a better player than Carroll, in my opinion.

Edit: It's his combination of strength, pace and technical ability - physical attributes - that impresses me the most. That's what I should have said. Apologies.

Second edit: I would love more than nothing to be wrong and for Suarez to end up like Kuyt, but it's far more likely he ends up impacting English football in the way than van Nistelrooy did.

Suarez's physical attributes, combined with his pedigree, technical ability and obvious goalscoring instinct, makes him a better player than Carroll, in my opinion.

better for NUFC at this current time with our current squad?  can't agree with that like but each to their own

Are people seriously arguing that Carroll is better than Suarez on the basis of his half good season this year? Fair enough if people want to question whether Suarez can adapt to the premiership (though his physical size tells me that he will), but it's not like Carroll has proven that he is good in the Premiership season after season. Get a grip of yourself, stop being delusional, those who think Carroll is better than the likes of Suarez is as bad as Mackems who were worshiping Bent before he left.  Utter embarrassment  :facepalm:

People are arguing that he's worth more then Suarez, and I'd agree simply because he's a very rare kind of striker.  Arguing that one player is better then another completely different player, especially when they're playing in two very different leagues is pretty stupid IMO.  Though obviously Carroll is the safer bet in this league.

I think Carroll is quick, has a great instinct for scoring (does miss some he should score but then he is young and most do), can drift wide, put in excellent crossses, can shoot from distance, bullies the fuck out of defenders and is absolutely unstoppable in the air when he wants to be.

He might not have the history behind him as he only really stepped onto the scene a year ago but his potential is outstanding and I can see why people think he is worth the punt more than someone who has done exceptionally well in a far inferior league (defensively) and done good at international level.

better for NUFC at this current time with our current squad?  can't agree with that like but each to their own

I never said that. I just think Suarez is a better player, overall.

I think Carroll is quick, has a great instinct for scoring (does miss some he should score but then he is young and most do), can drift wide, put in excellent crossses, can shoot from distance, bullies the fuck out of defenders and is absolutely unstoppable in the air when he wants to be.

He might not have the history behind him as he only really stepped onto the scene a year ago but his potential is outstanding and I can see why people think he is worth the punt more than someone who has done exceptionally well in a far inferior league (defensively) and done good at international level.

I don't disagree with that. If he can improve his control then he'd be the best striker in the league. Carroll's excellent for us now. He's probably the best striker in the world for our squad because we exploit his strengths so well, but if we're to step up, Carroll has to improve his game on the ground because to be a good team, we have to be able to dominate possession.

As it is, Suarez has more to his game, in my opinion.