West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It would be nice to have £30m+ to spend on players, but it's a matter of if it would go back into the squad.  I doubt Ashley would be as incompetent as Quinn was with the Bent transfer at least, so I'd hope we'd demand it all upfront.

If Newcastle turn down 30m for Andy Carroll they're absolutely mental. That's an outrageous offer for someone who has only had a good six months in the Premiership.

And look at it on the otherside, we have a striker now thats worth more then 30 mil and other teams sniffing round.

i think retaining the asset is far better.

Assets can depreciate as well as appreciate - he would need to come back fit and continue to score goals or his price will plummet. There's no guarantee he'll do that - teams will inevitably start to come to terms with him (like they tend to do with all players) so he'll find it increasingly difficult. This time last year Bobby Zamora was the next big thing....

You could buy half a dozen good players with £30m. Like I said, if they've turned that down they are absolutely mental. Incompetent.

Bitter nonsense.

Care to explain how that's nonsense? Or indeed why I'm bitter given how swimmingly things are going at the club I support at the moment?

If you think £30m isn't a hugely inflated price for an INJURED player with limited Premier League pedigree and considerable off the field problems it's you who is talking nonsense.

He's scored 11 goals ffs and a good number of those are from set-pieces. I very much doubt anyone will ever offer anything like that for him again.

I joined this board to join in the banter and have a bit of debate, not wind people up. Anyone with half a brain can see that Liverpool have hugely over valued him if the offer that's rumoured to have been made has in fact been made.

You monkeys got any pitch invasions/opposition player attacks planned at the Stadium of Light in the near future ?

Got to be more interesting for you than speculation about a Newcastle player's future.

Guest neesy111

How much is AC9 'Reportedly' on per week?

£45k a week.

seriously?

New contract in November, from what I was told he was on at least 40k a week now.

Guest NQsDiscoPants

Hark at the jealous Mackem, man. Probably even more pissed off because they aren't getting a mention on transfer day.

That's because we've done good business already. We have a stronger squad now than we did three weeks ago and have even more wedge in the bank to be thrown around in the summer.

£30m for someone with less than 20 PL goals ffs. The world's gone mad.

It would be nice to have £30m+ to spend on players, but it's a matter of if it would go back into the squad.  I doubt Ashley would be as incompetent as Quinn was with the Bent transfer at least, so I'd hope we'd demand it all upfront.

you could be onto something- as ashley likes his money on the table- but you can bet  the tores money is on account. and Liverpools owners havent got cash to buy.

Hark at the jealous Mackem, man. Probably even more pissed off because they aren't getting a mention on transfer day.

That's because we've done good business already. We have a stronger squad now than we did three weeks ago and have even more wedge in the bank to be thrown around in the summer.

oh yeah - i look forward to all your confidence pre derbies again next season. :lol:

£30m can be pissed away on nothing very easily. It could get you Luque, Owen and Emre, for instance. With the going rate for strikers we'd have to pay big money anyway to get a suitable replacement, and tbh it is highly unlikely a player of Carroll's calibre, with no ties to Newcastle, would really consider coming here.

Also i doubt Carroll is on that much a week, buying a bunch of new players with any money received would end up being more expensive in terms of wages.

If Bent didn't hand in a transfer request, at what price would you have said sell? I bet it would have been a lot more than what he went for.

Guest johnson293

Rooney only had 15 goals for Everton before Man Utd signed him for £25m (?), and that was 7 years ago.

Guest toonlass

Em, who's going to be scoring goals for you? You haven't replaced Bent yet.

NO FOOKING WAY.  We should be building a team around him.o

As someone has said, we are probably only 3-4 players away from being a consistent top 8 side and a couple more on top to maybe stick around 6th place.

Sell him and we might just get the 3 players but no way would be get his quality and potential with that much to spare.  No brainer, keep him what ever the bid.

Having him in the team at this apparent value will also help attract players IMO.

Guest neesy111

£30m can be pissed away on nothing very easily. It could get you Luque, Owen and Emre, for instance. With the going rate for strikers we'd have to pay big money anyway to get a suitable replacement, and tbh it is highly unlikely a player of Carroll's calibre, with no ties to Newcastle, would really consider coming here.

Also i doubt Carroll is on that much a week, buying a bunch of new players with any money received would end up being more expensive in terms of wages.

That's my view as well.

Guest NQsDiscoPants

If Newcastle turn down 30m for Andy Carroll they're absolutely mental. That's an outrageous offer for someone who has only had a good six months in the Premiership.

And look at it on the otherside, we have a striker now thats worth more then 30 mil and other teams sniffing round.

Assets can depreciate as well as appreciate - he would need to come back fit and continue to score goals or his price will plummet. There's no guarantee he'll do that - teams will inevitably start to come to terms with him (like they tend to do with all players) so he'll find it increasingly difficult. This time last year Bobby Zamora was the next big thing....

You could buy half a dozen good players with £30m. Like I said, if they've turned that down they are absolutely mental. Incompetent.

Bitter nonsense.

Care to explain how that's nonsense? Or indeed why I'm bitter given how swimmingly things are going at the club I support at the moment?

If you think £30m isn't a hugely inflated price for an INJURED player with limited Premier League pedigree and considerable off the field problems it's you who is talking nonsense.

He's scored 11 goals ffs and a good number of those are from set-pieces. I very much doubt anyone will ever offer anything like that for him again.

I joined this board to join in the banter and have a bit of debate, not wind people up. Anyone with half a brain can see that Liverpool have hugely over valued him if the offer that's rumoured to have been made has in fact been made.

You monkeys got any pitch invasions/opposition player attacks planned at the Stadium of Light in the near future ?

Got to be more interesting for you than speculation about a Newcastle player's future.

There's a meeting of the official SAFC Supporters Pitch Invasion and Player Assaulting Planning Group on Thursday, I'll let you know on Friday if anything is decided.

Until then you could occupy yourself practicing some knew and more interesting patter, because at the moment you're both tedious and repetitive.

If this was just coming out of NUFC via David Craig, I would be sceptical but it looks like it is also coming form Liverpool.

I think it would be madness to sell - what would we replace him with?  Another Championship hopeful or someone from abroad who doesn't give a toss.  We've not been able to find a partner for Carroll as it is never mind a replacement plus most clubs are desperately looking for strikers with little success (another reason for the high price).  And we won't pay the wages for a proven striker.

Anyway, if we have a £30m striker on the books that has come through the Academy surely that raises the value of the club in terms of its assets.

And it won't be £30m in cash either - probably £10m downpayment with the rest over the duration of a contract and it will include performance related payments.

Once this window is over, I would like the club to offer Carroll a new contract to at least show their commitment to keeping him as he will now know that he will get the big money elsewhere so his agent will be looking for that from Newcastle.

Bitter nonsense.

There's a meeting of the official SAFC Supporters Pitch Invasion and Player Assaulting Planning Group on Thursday, I'll let you know on Friday if anything is decided.

Until then you could occupy yourself practicing some knew and more interesting patter, because at the moment you're both tedious and repetitive.

:dowie:

Guest neesy111

Bitter nonsense.

5-1 simple as.  Comeback when your pathetic club and fans have something decent to talk about.