West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I hope that he does well and is a success. Just as I hoped that Shearer did well before he joined us, and that Gazza did well at Lazio and Waddle at Marseille and that Clarke is a success at Huddersfield as a manager etc. They are all Geordies and they deserve our support whether they play for us or not. Under different and better circumstances they would have happily played their entire careers at NUFC. There are some very petty people on here.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Chelsea-Fernando-Torres-50m-man-is-king-of-shirt-sales-outselling-his-Liverpool-replacement-Andy-Carroll-by-250-jerseys-to-one-article689695.html

Chelsea's record £50million signing Fernando Torres is already king of the shirt sales – outselling his ­Liverpool replacement Andy Carroll by 250 jerseys to one.

Demand for Chelsea's new Torres home shirts are currently 40% higher than when he arrived at Anfield three years ago, according to suppliers.

Shirt sales for the Kop’s other new striker, Luis Suarez, are 380% more popular than Carroll replicas, but are still trailing behind Chelsea’s Spanish signing by 30 to one.

Ray Evans, managing director of Kitbag.com, said: “It will be interesting to see whether Torres can maintain his popularity among Chelsea fans and whether Carroll can break into the hearts of the Liverpool fans.”

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Chelsea-Fernando-Torres-50m-man-is-king-of-shirt-sales-outselling-his-Liverpool-replacement-Andy-Carroll-by-250-jerseys-to-one-article689695.html#ixzz1CwsQ41IJ

:iamatwat:

I hope that he does well and is a success. Just as I hoped that Shearer did well before he joined us, and that Gazza did well at Lazio and Waddle at Marseille and that Clarke is a success at Huddersfield as a manager etc. They are all Geordies and they deserve our support whether they play for us or not. Under different and better circumstances they would have happily played their entire careers at NUFC. There are some very petty people on here.

why on earth would you hope a person like that does well at anything except recovering from being a twat ?

I'm not being funny madras, but I can't see how what you've said bears any relation to what I've said. 

Therefore I can't be arsed to reply to it, since it's a completely different issue.  Unless I'm missing something.

just with you saying you can't bring yourself to hate him.....i can on a few levels. his one saving grace is he's a good footballer. is that enough to stop me hating him...no, maybe you should question how you should feel about him as for many it seems to change their view on reality.

Oh right, so we're talking about footballers as human beings now, yeah?  I still think Barton is a pure wanker but can't deny that I've become rather attached to him as a player.  Etc, etc.

Prior to Monday Carroll had shown signs of being a hothead, a radgee, bit of a thug.  But he'd shown no signs of being disloyal, having no pride in his city, etc.  Also, by all accounts he's supposed to be a decent lad when not in one of these situations he was getting in.  I just think he's dead thick personally, but undeniably a bit rough n'all, yeah.

The fact that you're saying you could never bring yourself to sing his name surprises me a bit really, seems incredibly pious to me.

If a club like Newcastle United cannot hold onto its own home-grown talent regardless of the circumstances then there is really no hope for the future just as there was none during the days when the club sold the likes of Waddle, Beardsley and Gazza - as history proved.

Your future after selling Waddle and Gazza was pretty good though, wasn't it? For a while at least.

If you call relegation OK...we went down the season after selling Gazza..!!

We did OK after Waddle simply because we still had Beardsley and Gazza.

I'm not being funny madras, but I can't see how what you've said bears any relation to what I've said. 

Therefore I can't be arsed to reply to it, since it's a completely different issue.  Unless I'm missing something.

just with you saying you can't bring yourself to hate him.....i can on a few levels. his one saving grace is he's a good footballer. is that enough to stop me hating him...no, maybe you should question how you should feel about him as for many it seems to change their view on reality.

Oh right, so we're talking about footballers as human beings now, yeah?  I still think Barton is a pure w***** but can't deny that I've become rather attached to him as a player.  Etc, etc.

Prior to Monday Carroll had shown signs of being a hothead, a radgee, bit of a thug.  But he'd shown no signs of being disloyal, having no pride in his city, etc.  Also, by all accounts he's supposed to be a decent lad when not in one of these situations he was getting in.  I just think he's dead thick personally, but undeniably a bit rough n'all, yeah.

The fact that you're saying you could never bring yourself to sing his name surprises me a bit really, seems incredibly pious to me.

couldn't for lee bowyer and still can't for joey barton.

Guest firetotheworks

Madras, I was talking purely on a football level. As far as anything else goes, I don't know him so wouldn't go as far as saying I hate him personally, without knowing him.

Madras, I was talking purely on a football level. As far as anything else goes, I don't know him so wouldn't go as far as saying I hate him personally, without knowing him.

bollicks.......you hate many people you don't know...if carroll had played for west brom instead of us you'd hate him as a thug etc.

Guest firetotheworks

bollicks.......you hate many people you don't know...if carroll had played for west brom instead of us you'd hate him as a thug etc.

Hate's too strong a word for someone you've never met/don't know the full story of, and even so I was talking purely about football, so ram that up your preach pipe.

Hate's too strong a word for someone you've never met/don't know the full story of, and even so I was talking purely about football, so ram that up your preach pipe.

true...how about mildly dispise or loathe.

at least i've been consistent with him through the taylor trials etc

Guest firetotheworks

Quite honestly, I don't know. Whenever Barton, or Bowyer, or Ranger, or whoever does these things I get riled up, but when it was Carroll it never seemed to fit the perception of his character.

If a club like Newcastle United cannot hold onto its own home-grown talent regardless of the circumstances then there is really no hope for the future just as there was none during the days when the club sold the likes of Waddle, Beardsley and Gazza - as history proved.

Your future after selling Waddle and Gazza was pretty good though, wasn't it? For a while at least.

No, my point is that HTT said there was no hope for the future. A handful of years after Gazza left, you had your best team in my lifetime and nearly won the league. There may be pain in the short-term, but there is hope when you are a club with a high turnover.....as long as UEFA manage to knock out the Citys and Chelseas.

Did you hope that Waddle and Gazza did well at Spurs? Genuine question.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Chelsea-Fernando-Torres-50m-man-is-king-of-shirt-sales-outselling-his-Liverpool-replacement-Andy-Carroll-by-250-jerseys-to-one-article689695.html

Chelsea's record £50million signing Fernando Torres is already king of the shirt sales – outselling his ­Liverpool replacement Andy Carroll by 250 jerseys to one.

Demand for Chelsea's new Torres home shirts are currently 40% higher than when he arrived at Anfield three years ago, according to suppliers.

Shirt sales for the Kop’s other new striker, Luis Suarez, are 380% more popular than Carroll replicas, but are still trailing behind Chelsea’s Spanish signing by 30 to one.

Ray Evans, managing director of Kitbag.com, said: “It will be interesting to see whether Torres can maintain his popularity among Chelsea fans and whether Carroll can break into the hearts of the Liverpool fans.”

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Chelsea-Fernando-Torres-50m-man-is-king-of-shirt-sales-outselling-his-Liverpool-replacement-Andy-Carroll-by-250-jerseys-to-one-article689695.html#ixzz1CwsQ41IJ

unbelievably petty but i enjoy that fact

Guest TheSummerOf69

No, my point is that HTT said there was no hope for the future. A handful of years after Gazza left, you had your best team in my lifetime and nearly won the league.

Waddle left for better times and we had Jack Charlton in charge who didn't really rate his type of player.

Beardsley left in similiar circumstances to Carroll, he probably would have stayed if we'd given him a half-decent contract.

Gazza we did try to keep hold of with a decent contract offer but he was away for the bright lights. We got a decent fee for the time and for once we re-invested the money, bringing 4 players in. We were immediately relegated from the top flight.

A few years later we nearly got relegated to the 3rd division (where we've never been, unlike Sunderland) and possible bankruptcy, only staying up at the last gasp after bringing Keegan in. Then we took off under Keegan who - in the space of one brief Summer - turned our worst ever team into one that won the first 11 games of the Season (on a shoestring budget, which is often overlooked - the money didn't come from John Hall 'til after we really needed it), got promoted, finished 3rd in the Premier League, then nearly won the thing.

Selling players nearly put the club out of business. There's no way that our later success is in any way linked to selling Waddle, Beardsley and especially Gazza.

We later sold Andy Cole under Keegan, who came to reassure fans outside the stadium that we could trust him. We had loads of talent at the club and then went and bought Ferdinand, Shearer and Asprilla, so that one's different.

Under Ashley, Keegan left his 2nd spell as manager because the club sold Milner against his wishes. He was persuaded to front it on the promise of the money being reinvested in players he wanted (and that 12m was supposedly over the odds, according to Dennis Wise - Milner then went for more than double that a year and a half later of course) but then had a couple of numpty players imposed on him and the window closed without any of the players he'd asked for, so his promise this time that we weren't a selling club and that we could trust him was severely undermined. And then we were relegated.

Guest Gemmill

This "Judas cunt" stuff is so fucking immature.  Such an idiotic outlook.

This from Twitter last night btw:

Raphael Honigstein on Twitter:

btw. I'm told Mike Ashley brazenly upped Carroll prize by £10m on Monday. Liverpool thought they had understanding for £25m

another source just confirmed Carroll price-hike story, with one small clarification: initial price agreed on Friday was £22m

Mark Douglas (Sunday Sun and Journal sportswriter) in response:

@honigstein Certainly not what the club are saying. #nufc sources say Sun night was the 1st time they contemplated selling

@MsiDouglas well, someone's lying then...

@honigstein I'm honestly not knocking your sources. My head was spinning on Mon: so many claims & counter claims...

@MsiDouglas I didn't take it that way, no worries

@honigstein I was told as soon as anyone went to 30m, all bets were off. If they were selling at 22m... Wow

@MsiDouglas there's more to it. DM me

Then you've got a load of people saying "Put it on a public forum, the fans deserve to know", but there's nowt on either of their timelines other than this from Douglas:

@honigstein Everyones got an agenda! But yeh,#nufc interests best served by saying they wouldn't sell. Your info v.interesting

Honigstein has never struck me as the type to make stuff up.

We always knew he was a red carroll carroll

Hes got a dirty greasy head carroll carroll

He punches birds, they burn his house

But we dont care, thats fucking scouse

Andy Caroll Liverpools Number 9!!

:nope:

:facepalm:

btw. I'm told Mike Ashley brazenly upped Carroll prize by £10m on Monday. Liverpool thought they had understanding for £25m

another source just confirmed Carroll price-hike story, with one small clarification: initial price agreed on Friday was £22m

@honigstein Certainly not what the club are saying. #nufc sources say Sun night was the 1st time they contemplated selling

@honigstein I'm honestly not knocking your sources. My head was spinning on Mon: so many claims & counter claims...

@honigstein I was told as soon as anyone went to 30m, all bets were off. If they were selling at 22m... Wow

Then you've got a load of people saying "Put it on a public forum, the fans deserve to know", but there's nowt on either of their timelines other than this from Douglas:

@honigstein Everyones got an agenda! But yeh,#nufc interests best served by saying they wouldn't sell. Your info v.interesting

I do think they should make whatever they're DM each other public, tbh

What was interesting also was what Honigstein said beforehand which ignited that exchange of tweets between them:

honigstein raphael honigstein

If they were at this from Friday, then there's really no excuse whatsoever for not bringing in replacements at all, other than it being yet another shafting by Ashley.

:no:

He's never struck me as being a particularly good journalist, though. Had an argument with him on the Guardian blog once. Nothing to do with this story, but it was about an issue of fact, which he'd got wrong, and when I'd pointed it out, kept twisting and making excuses, Wanker, tbh.

unbelievably petty but i enjoy that fact

Not surprised that people in west london can afford more shirts than people in Liverpool TBH.