West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

http://www.footbo.com/Teams/Newcastle/Transfers

on balance i'd say that it's roughly even stevens if you look at number of windows strengthened vs. windows weakened/stagnated

however look at the bigger picture and tell me that managing to a "build" strike force of shola/best/loven/ranger in that time is strengthening the club, please look me in the eye and tell me that

we have virtually one player only for each position, backups are on the whole s**** and not worthy of the shirt (smith, guthrie) or we don't even have them (LB)

That is not a very fair statement, is devoid of circumstances which is why I said you were spouting rubbish. Firstly you can easily add HBA to that list (the fact that he was injured is nobody's fault except the c*** De Jong). We were only left with that pile of s*** because we did not replace Carroll in January 2011 which is why I said last Jan was a bad transfer window. Otherwise for a team that just got promoted (and is therefore not the most attractive for top players), having HBA, Carroll, Best, Ameobi, Ranger, Lovenkrads is not too bad. In fact immediately pre Ashley (post Shearer of course) which of our strikers would you categorized as really good? Martins at a stretch...who else? Unless you rate the likes of Owen, Luque and Viduka highly (which would again strengthen the rubbish claim I made), as of January 2011, we had quite a good bunch of strikers/attacking players especially for a team just newly promoted.

we also didnt replace ben arfa in january, even with a loan. it's bad management anyway you look at it, but continue to make excuses for them all the same.

Are you even reading? What excuses...I already said very early on (on Feb 1 actually) that January was a bad transfer window. The debate has moved on to discuss the other transfer windows. Try to focus, it's really not that difficult.

With regards to the poll about how many goals AC will score next season, I voted 6 to 10 because I dont believe that he will play  for Liverpool as much as he thought he would.

With Kuyt and Maxi now playing upfront along with (the excellent) Suarez, Carroll is in effect 4th choice striker.

Hope he enjoys doing a Michael Owen and sitting on his fat arse most weeks before coming on as  a sub.

:lol:

Spurs sold their best players and used the money to rebuild their whole squad. With £35m in the bank after selling Carrol,l Ashley can either do the same or prove all the critics right. I'll wait to see what happens in the summer before picking up a pitchfork.

it's so tragically inevitable that on 1st september this will all be repeating itself, i.e. let's see what happens in january - been the same since the moment ashley bought the club

:sadnod:

Rubbish.

Agreed Jonny, I have no idea why people keep on repeating this eventhough they have absolutely nothing to back up their claim, it's all speculation nonsense solely based on the last Jan transfer window and ignoring all the others which imo we've not done too badly.

bullshit right back at you both

under ashley how many windows have we come out of saying "we did well there"?

the first one under allardyce i'd suggest, and maybe the colo/jonas one but imo we've stood still or gone backwards in every other window squad-wise

What's that got to do with the Summer? You said that if we don't strengthen, people will say "well let's wait til January" etc. That's rubbish.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Wish the internet had been important when Andy Cole had been sold, would have loved to see if an Andy Cole thread looked similar to this one.

Spurs sold their best players and used the money to rebuild their whole squad. With £35m in the bank after selling Carrol,l Ashley can either do the same or prove all the critics right. I'll wait to see what happens in the summer before picking up a pitchfork.

it's so tragically inevitable that on 1st september this will all be repeating itself, i.e. let's see what happens in january - been the same since the moment ashley bought the club

Rubbish.

Agreed Jonny, I have no idea why people keep on repeating this eventhough they have absolutely nothing to back up their claim, it's all speculation nonsense solely based on the last Jan transfer window and ignoring all the others which imo we've not done too badly.

the first one under allardyce i'd suggest, and maybe the colo/jonas one but imo we've stood still or gone backwards in every other window squad-wise

What's that got to do with the Summer? You said that if we don't strengthen, people will say "well let's wait til January" etc. That's rubbish.

it can only be said to be rubbish come september 1st. let's wait and see what happens.

Wish the internet had been important when Andy Cole had been sold, would have loved to see if an Andy Cole thread looked similar to this one.

would've & should've been far more dramatic imo.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

would've & should've been far more dramatic imo.

Do you think the internet would have affected the attendance 'that night on the steps'? /sunderland attendance debate

Guest BooBoo

Cole was slightly different as although we were gutted to lose such a talent, there was the 100% belief that KK and John Hall would reinvest. Cole was sold on my 15th birthday, yet I was twice as gutted when we lost AC.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Cole was slightly different as although we were gutted to lose such a talent, there was the 100% belief that KK and John Hall would reinvest. Cole was sold on my 15th birthday, yet I was twice as gutted when we lost AC.

Aye, guess there aren't too many similarities between the two, just can't think of any other transfer that's caused so much disbelief amongst fans.

Rubbish.

it can only be said to be rubbish come september 1st. let's wait and see what happens.

Just like it can only be said we won't spend the money until then. It doesn't stop some people though :lol:

on balance i'd say that it's roughly even stevens if you look at number of windows strengthened vs. windows weakened/stagnated

however look at the bigger picture and tell me that managing to a "build" strike force of shola/best/loven/ranger in that time is strengthening the club, please look me in the eye and tell me that

we have virtually one player only for each position, backups are on the whole s**** and not worthy of the shirt (smith, guthrie) or we don't even have them (LB)

That is not a very fair statement, is devoid of circumstances which is why I said you were spouting rubbish. Firstly you can easily add HBA to that list (the fact that he was injured is nobody's fault except the c*** De Jong). We were only left with that pile of s*** because we did not replace Carroll in January 2011 which is why I said last Jan was a bad transfer window. Otherwise for a team that just got promoted (and is therefore not the most attractive for top players), having HBA, Carroll, Best, Ameobi, Ranger, Lovenkrads is not too bad. In fact immediately pre Ashley (post Shearer of course) which of our strikers would you categorized as really good? Martins at a stretch...who else? Unless you rate the likes of Owen, Luque and Viduka highly (which would again strengthen the rubbish claim I made), as of January 2011, we had quite a good bunch of strikers/attacking players especially for a team just newly promoted.

we also didnt replace ben arfa in january, even with a loan. it's bad management anyway you look at it, but continue to make excuses for them all the same.

Are you even reading? What excuses...I already said very early on (on Feb 1 actually) that January was a bad transfer window. The debate has moved on to discuss the other transfer windows. Try to focus, it's really not that difficult.

there you go, i've highlighted the bit that is one MASSIVE excuse for how bad our january window was. funnily enough you've mentioned ben arfa being injured and then gone on to say we were 'only left with that pile of shit because we didnt replace caroll'

well, thats bollocks isnt it. as i've said, we failed to replace ben arfa too, even with a loan signing. does the fact that we needed strikers BEFORE we even sold carroll not register with you at all?

excuses, excuses, excuses. its always 'well yeah it was a bad window BUT this, BUT that'. but nothing mate, we were severely under staffed in the playing department and they gambled, again. this time it paid off. they've done it before and they'll do it again, and when they do you'll have an excuse for it and be waiting til the next window to see what happens.

now say something else patronising, by the way when you said circumstances, didnt you mean context?

Rubbish.

Just like it can only be said we won't spend the money until then. It doesn't stop some people though :lol:

O0 well aye. i just call it as i see it from past experience mate.

"And Newcastle can't have it both ways.

Back in January, they were trying to win the PR war over the transfer, insisting Carroll wanted to go. They were saying it was Carroll who put in a transfer request. That he wanted to join Liverpool and there was no stopping him.

So when that message is spun to fans back in January to keep them onside, and against Carroll for quitting... it is no blooming wonder that the same fans turn on him when they get their first glimpse of him in a Liverpool shirt is it?"

Guest BooBoo

Aye, guess there aren't too many similarities between the two, just can't think of any other transfer that's caused so much disbelief amongst fans.

Looking back, it was a bit more "fun" in the pre internet/ digital era. Basically the Cole story spread through school by way of mouth. In half an hour I was told:

i) Coley's gone to Man Utd and Keegan's quit!

ii) Cole's been sold in a swap deal. We're getting Gillespie, Scholes and Butt in return.

iii) There's people at St James' on the pitch singing the Andy Cole song!!1

and my favourite, as it was the first time I'd ever heard such gibberish:

iv) Matt Le Tissier is at the airport and is going to training ground to meet Keegan! Terry Mac's just picked him up.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Looking back, it was a bit more "fun" in the pre internet/ digital era. Basically the Cole story spread through school by way of mouth. In half an hour I was told:

i) Coley's gone to Man Utd and Keegan's quit!

ii) Cole's been sold in a swap deal. We're getting Gillespie, Scholes and Butt in return.

iii) There's people at St James' on the pitch singing the Andy Cole song!!1

and my favourite, as it was the first time I'd ever heard such gibberish:

iv) Matt Le Tissier is at the airport and is going to training ground to meet Keegan! Terry Mac's just picked him up.

:lol:

Aye, crazy things like that are class. I remember being in school when the rumour spread Keegan had left, I was eating a Curry Pot Noodle from the Kandi Box.  :lol:

there you go, i've highlighted the bit that is one MASSIVE excuse for how bad our january window was. funnily enough you've mentioned ben arfa being injured and then gone on to say we were 'only left with that pile of s*** because we didnt replace caroll'

well, thats bollocks isnt it. as i've said, we failed to replace ben arfa too, even with a loan signing. does the fact that we needed strikers BEFORE we even sold carroll not register with you at all?

excuses, excuses, excuses. its always 'well yeah it was a bad window BUT this, BUT that'. but nothing mate, we were severely under staffed in the playing department and they gambled, again. this time it paid off. they've done it before and they'll do it again, and when they do you'll have an excuse for it and be waiting til the next window to see what happens.

now say something else patronising, by the way when you said circumstances, didnt you mean context?

Look mate I'm really not sure why you find it so difficult to understand. THERE ARE NO EXCUSES FOR THE JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW - DO YOU GET THAT? I said that as much on Feb 1, 2011. The point I was making when I listed HBA, Carroll...etc is that we had decent transfer windows before January (here's a hint: since I added Carroll's name to that list I can't be referring to the post January transfer window could I?). For a newly promoted team to have those players BEFORE the January transfer window was a refelction that we did reasonably well in the previous transfer window (Getting HBA, Tiote can only be described as excellent). Yes HBA got injured and we didn't replace him in January, that goes back to the point that we had a bad January but that's not the debate is it? I have not come across anyone on this forum defending the January transfer window.

The debate is whether January was an exception to the rule and why the argument that "those who are now saying let's see what happens in the summer will say the same thing come September 1" is just bollocks or is the January transfer window representative of our other transfer windows. Like I said try and focus on what is being debated. Even Colocho is doing better than you which really says it all  :lol:

We don't have the same pulling power as Spurs. You would have thought that Modric was testament to that ...

Nothing to do with the fact we wouldn't pay the wages he wanted.

Guest Heneage

We don't have the same pulling power as Spurs. You would have thought that Modric was testament to that ...

I can't think of many players who would go on tours of the training ground if they didn't want to join a club...(I'm agreeing with Tooj)

wasn't there something dodgy at the time, something to do with payments to his agents who were his brothers or somesuch when he moves on ?

Rubbish.

WTF.  I've posted a list of transfer windows under ashley where I've suggested that he's maybe done ok-well in 2 of 6 windows.  This, as Venkman and I agree, suggests some type of history on his part.  He also has history in selling players for perceived good money (Milner, Zog) and not replacing them properly.

How can this have nothing to do with the impending summer transfer activity, it has everything to do with it.

I suppose it's all different now because he has 35m is it?  Well my supposition is that we'll end the window once again lacking the reinforcements we clearly need in key areas and I base this on Mike Ashley's history in the transfer market since he took over the club.

Or are you taking issue with me saying people will say "let's wait until January"?  If we don't strengthen properly there'll be no revolt, no protests, fuck all.  The club will issue some shit about deals being hard to close, we were close on a number of amazing deals and that they'll fix it in the next window.

But yeah, neither of us can say with any certainty which outcome will be the more accurate until 1st September, so let's shut the board down shall we and reconvene then for a post-mortem? :thup:

The debate is whether January was an exception to the rule and why the argument that "those who are now saying let's see what happens in the summer will say the same thing come September 1" is just bollocks or is the January transfer window representative of our other transfer windows. Like I said try and focus on what is being debated. Even Colocho is doing better than you which really says it all  :lol:

you've yet to prove to me that it isn't btw, you've not addressed the old windows since ashley took the club

also i don't think january was "representative" in that selling carroll and not replacing him was a massive blow to the club as a whole so it had more of an effect than selling a single player should have done...but it was representative in that we started it needing to add a striker and ended it losing one :lol:

what's representative of ashley's dealings in the transfer market, which you seem to have trouble grasping yourself, is that:

we simply have not progressed as a football club under mike ashley, the best thing you could say is we got rid of a lot of bullshit high earning wasters, shame it took a relegation to achieve that

i'm proposing we'll end the window with maybe a couple of problems addressed but certainly by no means enough, once again, and people will be looking to the next window for them to be fixed

it's not hard - look at what we need to do, who we need to/will ship out: smith, guthrie, loven, campbell, rout, perch, raylor, xisco, because they don't or can't contribute enough to NUFC

how many of them will go and be replaced by quality?  will we get a backup left back?  will we get a top class striker?  even just one...

seriously, what's your prediction 'cause mine is pretty clear and it's based on MA's history in the market...one thing i'll give you is that he's had 2 "big" summer windows out of 3 but only one of those had a decent net spend (his first at the club) and the other one we lost milner to counter some of the spending on colo etc.

i started the whole "next summer" thing on the back of a post about spurs selling their best players in order to build a squad and push on, which they've done (oh and they've also had to spend a lot more than they took in through transfer fees only), there's really little chance of this happening under MA imo which makes selling carroll pointless if we don't use that money to progress, and we won't progress with a strike force of shola/best/loven/ranger let alone anywhere else on the pitch