West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pardew loves 4-4-2 man, I would be astonished if we play more than half of our games next season in any other formation.

I'm scared of this. It's why I think we're going after AC, hence why I'm so vehemently against it.

Would you agree that we could buy a better striker who would fit in with our 433 better than Andy Carroll? I'd find it difficult to disagree with that statement, and therefore it's a no-brainer for me. I always want the best for my club, and I don't think he is, tbh.

That's a decent point when you put it like that - would be interesting to hear suggestions of possible strikers people might have if we did have up to 15 million to spend?

Looks like we were willing to spend close to that on de Jong but I've never actually seen him play so no idea how he compares to Carroll.

It's an interesting point but I would say as a loan it'd be fine. Especially as I'd rather see that money re-invested in areas of our squad that are more vulnerable IMO.

Poll 1/3 of Newcastle fans are daft.

:lol: I genuinely think you're daft. Barely any reasoning behind any of your arguments. As far as I know you've not really given a solid reason as to why it would be so stupid to just not bother getting Carroll.

Try something else, maybe something that actually suits the way our team are going.

:lol:  posted for just such a bite. If you read my posts ive given every credible reason for signing him, for what he brings to the team, the squad, and the fact he fits the description of a striker Pardew gave. daft?

Since when did winning an argument depend upon getting a bite ffs? :lol: Fucking hate shit like that. Every credible reason being :

1) He's massive and would be good to have on if we can't win by playing good football (sounds fantastic!).

2) Pards 'described' him.

Well, 1 he would not be good to the team, since he broke the jaw of 1/2 of our first choice CB pairing, and 2, I'm sure Pardew has described buying players with versatility, where is Andy Carrolls versatility? Obviously if Pardew is the oracle you should also take this into account.

who said anything about winning an argument? it was just banter. arguments can not be won on here- nobody changes thier mind, it just rolls on page after page.

Excuse my naivety but I had presumed at least some of the more regular posters would be able to form opinions but still have them moulded by others arguments. Suggestions are made and opinions are changed, it's the whole reason for putting across your argument in the first place :lol:.

Would you agree that we could buy a better striker who would fit in with our 433 better than Andy Carroll?

In theory yes I would agree. In reality its not that easy , we could find him - fuck about etc,unable to agree term, miss out etc.whereas Carroll is on the table and offers something imo. id take him.

That's it, the root of the disagreement. I think you're right, too. A known is definitely more reliable than an unknown quantity. I just reckon I know Andy C well enough to say, personally, I don't fancy it atm.

Carroll still has a pretty good chance of waiting this out, could end up playing for Liverpool again under a different manager.

It's incredible to single out Carroll when you consider the amount of shite they've got in the squad.

Downing, Henderson, Carragher, Joe Cole, Aquilani, Adam & Johnson should all be shown the door before him.

Pardew loves 4-4-2 man, I would be astonished if we play more than half of our games next season in any other formation.

I'm scared of this. It's why I think we're going after AC, hence why I'm so vehemently against it.

Me too.

I guess if it's really true that Pardew is wedded to the 442 then we better grin and bear it. I'm not sure it's quite as bad as that though.

Carroll still has a pretty good chance of waiting this out, could end up playing for Liverpool again under a different manager.

It's incredible to single out Carroll when you consider the amount of shite they've got in the squad.

Downing, Henderson, Carragher, Joe Cole, Aquilani, Adam & Johnson should all be shown the door before him.

Actually Cole and Aquilani could have parts to play IMO, but I know what you mean. I genuinely don't understand why Rodgers has been so quick to wash his hands of Carroll - unless it's just to look the big man.

Poll 1/3 of Newcastle fans are daft.

:lol: I genuinely think you're daft. Barely any reasoning behind any of your arguments. As far as I know you've not really given a solid reason as to why it would be so stupid to just not bother getting Carroll.

Try something else, maybe something that actually suits the way our team are going.

:lol:  posted for just such a bite. If you read my posts ive given every credible reason for signing him, for what he brings to the team, the squad, and the fact he fits the description of a striker Pardew gave. daft?

Since when did winning an argument depend upon getting a bite ffs? :lol: Fucking hate shit like that. Every credible reason being :

1) He's massive and would be good to have on if we can't win by playing good football (sounds fantastic!).

2) Pards 'described' him.

Well, 1 he would not be good to the team, since he broke the jaw of 1/2 of our first choice CB pairing, and 2, I'm sure Pardew has described buying players with versatility, where is Andy Carrolls versatility? Obviously if Pardew is the oracle you should also take this into account.

who said anything about winning an argument? it was just banter. arguments can not be won on here- nobody changes thier mind, it just rolls on page after page.

Excuse my naivety but I had presumed at least some of the more regular posters would be able to form opinions but still have them moulded by others arguments. Suggestions are made and opinions are changed, it's the whole reason for putting across your argument in the first place :lol:.

Would you agree that we could buy a better striker who would fit in with our 433 better than Andy Carroll?

In theory yes I would agree. In reality its not that easy , we could find him - fuck about etc,unable to agree term, miss out etc.whereas Carroll is on the table and offers something imo. id take him.

That's it, the root of the disagreement. I think you're right, too. A known is definitely more reliable than an unknown quantity. I just reckon I know Andy C well enough to say, personally, I don't fancy it atm.

I fancy him more than nowt, or an as yet unknown unidentified person who we havent discussed terms with or even established wants to come here. the clock is ticking if Carroll wants to come, and lolerpool want rid, its so much further down the line than anything else I think its an opportunity we should take.

Tho Ive no idea who the club have spoken to like.

In that case the problem's Pardew though surely? Not Carroll.

I am sure his preference is coming back here, but failing everything else I think he will end up at West Ham with Big Sam and buddy Kev.

Personally I am happy for him to return but not in the slightest bit upset if he doesn't, we will find someone just as adequate if not better. Carroll is a physical beast but is better technically than people are giving him credit. He is unique in terms of similar English strikers, I have no doubt we would get him back on track here. 10-15m seems a lot but at his age and the potential we know he has he would be less of a risk than DeJong, I can see why we are jumping in.

I thought initially this would rumble on until late in the window, before changing my mind and thinking it will be done within a week or two. He is desperate to return, Liverpool are desperate to get rid.. it is a case of us upping are bid slightly to making Liverpool cave. They won't get more than 15m for him from anyone imo.

In that case the problem's Pardew though surely? Not Carroll.

Aye, I wasn't totally sold on Luuk De Jong either, but descriptions of him gave a feeling of class/deft touch, which wouldn't have been the end of the world.

Guest firetotheworks

I was going to say that it wouldn't surprise me if Liverpool wanted to sell to anyone but us, but then again, I wouldn't be surprised at anything anymore.

Anything above 10M and we're spending too much. We all know that the price of an English player is inflated and even more so for an English striker (this is part of the reason why Liverpool were mugged coz KD wanted his English players as the core if his first 11). For 10M, we can get a better European striker whose proven more than having a 6 months purple patch and is technically more suitable to the fluid passing football we are trying to play.

Plus if we do spend in excess of 10M, there's every chance that we will have to cheap out on our other purchases of RB, CB and midfielder (that means potentially loosing out on the likes of Debuchy, Douglas...etc for cheaper options). So anything above 10M is a big no for me and those saying yes are just caught up in the romanticism of having a Gordie lad back in his home club potentially leading the line (at least in some games)

I'd be a bit miffed if they got 10m out of us, we only paid 8 for Cisse. On loan (with option to buy) it's definately a good move for us but I can't see it happening since it's win win for us and sort of lose lose for Liverpool.

I was going to say that it wouldn't surprise me if Liverpool wanted to sell to anyone but us, but then again, I wouldn't be surprised at anything anymore.

The player drives a lot of the activity these days but then again if Liverpool are only interested in selling him and we're offering no more than a loan then it might be a bit of a Michael Owen to us situation where he has to go to West Ham or wherever rather than sit on the bench.  If it's a straight race between us and another club on a permanent deal then I can see Liverpool having to accept a bit less money as the player holds a lot of sway.

this kid is on America crack

Nah I'm not that patriotic (only on July 4th, history's greatest day).

And the banter doesn't bother me all that much. You just seem to be a major cunt about it all the time.

No need tbh. :no:

Apologies mate. You got me in a rare patriotic fervor.

Calming down now.

You've missed the u out of fervour.

Guest BooBoo

just had a read through when he left. shite day

I had to leave work early that day as I was too distracted. Horrible day, absolutely gutted.

just had a read through when he left. s**** day

I had to leave work early that day as I was too distracted. Horrible day, absolutely gutted.

I nearly got fired that day. I've had all kinds of weird shit happen to me but I don't think I've ever been as mad as that cold winter day