Not For Sale

Thespence
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I am pleased nor disappointed about this "news", as the club's mouthpieces have had us warming to the idea for a while and I have to admit it's better to have Ashley speak out some form of commitment to the cause than to have the club left in its recent limbo any longer. However, I sympathise more with the 30% of posters who say they are unhappy about this latest development than with the 70% who are.

Everything depends on your perspective I suppose. I am content (happy is putting it way too strong) with this newest twist given our dire situation and the fact it is seemingly impossible to flog the club in the current climate at a price deemed reasonable to Mr Ashley. I am however disappointed by the fact they havent been able to find a buyer capable of really moving us forward, and this announcement slams the door shut for that to happen in the foreseeable future. We are stuck with Ashley whether we want it or not, and we may as well give the man another chance to prove his worth and pull together in support of the club (and that includes the present owner), because it doesnt seem like there will be a hero saviour who will magically right all the wrongs anytime soon.

Having said that, over one and a half year in Ashleys tenure I am still waiting to be convinced by him and its fair to say my initial waiting to be convinced has gradually transformed into an unhealthy scepticism. Ashley has made huge mistakes, ranging from getting the due diligence wrong and not having money available to invest as a result, lousy communication with the fans (its a FACT, silence), terrible appointments (a management team unable to work together for the best interest of the club), running at the first sign of trouble and a lack of expectancy management.

He will not get a clean slate but he has bought some time with this, and I think for the majority of our fans this will be last chance saloon for Mr Ashley. He will have to prove in the next months he has learned his lesson and is willing to invest in order to move the club forward, not just sideways. For me, this entails attracting a level of manager capable of moving us back to the top half of the table consistently (not Joe Kinnear!) and backing that manager by bringing in the players he wants on a transfer and wage budget that has been agreed beforehand. Despite not addressing some key weak areas in our squad and falling out with each other, there have been some decent acquisitions in the summer, so its a matter of building on whats there and making it work with the right manager in charge to oversee the on-the-field progress.

Making a football club successful is a long term proposition. Ashley has not made the best of starts, but since were stuck with him he gets my support for one more chance to move this club in the right direction. Although I am still sceptical he will duly deliver and promise to continue to voice my criticism when I see fit (i.e. when the clubs management is deserving of it), I dread to think what will happen if he doesnt.. Its up to you Mr Ashley to turn this ship around.

Great post. :thup:

Guest sicko2ndbest

I am pleased nor disappointed about this "news", as the club's mouthpieces have had us warming to the idea for a while and I have to admit it's better to have Ashley speak out some form of commitment to the cause than to have the club left in its recent limbo any longer. However, I sympathise more with the 30% of posters who say they are unhappy about this latest development than with the 70% who are.

Everything depends on your perspective I suppose. I am content (happy is putting it way too strong) with this newest twist given our dire situation and the fact it is seemingly impossible to flog the club in the current climate at a price deemed reasonable to Mr Ashley. I am however disappointed by the fact they haven’t been able to find a buyer capable of really moving us forward, and this announcement slams the door shut for that to happen in the foreseeable future. We are stuck with Ashley whether we want it or not, and we may as well give the man another chance to prove his worth and pull together in support of the club (and that includes the present owner), because it doesn’t seem like there will be a hero saviour who will magically right all the wrongs anytime soon.

Having said that, over one and a half year in Ashley’s tenure I am still waiting to be convinced by him and it’s fair to say my initial “waiting to be convinced” has gradually transformed into an unhealthy scepticism. Ashley has made huge mistakes, ranging from getting the due diligence wrong and not having money available to invest as a result, lousy communication with the fans (“it’s a FACT”, silence), terrible appointments (a management team unable to work together for the best interest of the club), running at the first sign of trouble and a lack of expectancy management.

He will not get a clean slate but he has bought some time with this, and I think for the majority of our fans this will be last chance saloon for Mr Ashley. He will have to prove in the next months he has learned his lesson and is willing to invest in order to move the club forward, not just sideways. For me, this entails attracting a level of manager capable of moving us back to the top half of the table consistently (not Joe Kinnear!) and backing that manager by bringing in the players he wants on a transfer and wage budget that has been agreed beforehand. Despite not addressing some key weak areas in our squad and falling out with each other, there have been some decent acquisitions in the summer, so it’s a matter of building on what’s there and making it work with the right manager in charge to oversee the on-the-field progress.

Making a football club successful is a long term proposition. Ashley has not made the best of starts, but since we’re stuck with him he gets my support for one more chance to move this club in the right direction. Although I am still sceptical he will duly deliver and promise to continue to voice my criticism when I see fit (i.e. when the club’s management is deserving of it), I dread to think what will happen if he doesn’t.. It’s up to you Mr Ashley to turn this ship around.

Fantastic post. :clap:

Sums up my feelings perfectly.

Great post.

The points that have been highlighted are mistakes yes, but not mistakes that cannot be turned arounf with forward thinking and planning.

I want to believe that he has learned fom his mistakes, i really do, and this window will go along way to showing me.

Everything depends on your perspective I suppose. I am content (happy is putting it way too strong) with this newest twist given our dire situation and the fact it is seemingly impossible to flog the club in the current climate at a price deemed reasonable to Mr Ashley. I am however disappointed by the fact they havent been able to find a buyer capable of really moving us forward, and this announcement slams the door shut for that to happen in the foreseeable future. We are stuck with Ashley whether we want it or not, and we may as well give the man another chance to prove his worth and pull together in support of the club (and that includes the present owner), because it doesnt seem like there will be a hero saviour who will magically right all the wrongs anytime soon.

Having said that, over one and a half year in Ashleys tenure I am still waiting to be convinced by him and its fair to say my initial waiting to be convinced has gradually transformed into an unhealthy scepticism. Ashley has made huge mistakes, ranging from getting the due diligence wrong and not having money available to invest as a result, lousy communication with the fans (its a FACT, silence), terrible appointments (a management team unable to work together for the best interest of the club), running at the first sign of trouble and a lack of expectancy management.

He will not get a clean slate but he has bought some time with this, and I think for the majority of our fans this will be last chance saloon for Mr Ashley. He will have to prove in the next months he has learned his lesson and is willing to invest in order to move the club forward, not just sideways. For me, this entails attracting a level of manager capable of moving us back to the top half of the table consistently (not Joe Kinnear!) and backing that manager by bringing in the players he wants on a transfer and wage budget that has been agreed beforehand. Despite not addressing some key weak areas in our squad and falling out with each other, there have been some decent acquisitions in the summer, so its a matter of building on whats there and making it work with the right manager in charge to oversee the on-the-field progress.

Making a football club successful is a long term proposition. Ashley has not made the best of starts, but since were stuck with him he gets my support for one more chance to move this club in the right direction. Although I am still sceptical he will duly deliver and promise to continue to voice my criticism when I see fit (i.e. when the clubs management is deserving of it), I dread to think what will happen if he doesnt.. Its up to you Mr Ashley to turn this ship around.

That's probably the best post in this thread. 

Guest Howaythetoon

Everything depends on your perspective I suppose. I am content (happy is putting it way too strong) with this newest twist given our dire situation and the fact it is seemingly impossible to flog the club in the current climate at a price deemed reasonable to Mr Ashley. I am however disappointed by the fact they haven’t been able to find a buyer capable of really moving us forward, and this announcement slams the door shut for that to happen in the foreseeable future. We are stuck with Ashley whether we want it or not, and we may as well give the man another chance to prove his worth and pull together in support of the club (and that includes the present owner), because it doesn’t seem like there will be a hero saviour who will magically right all the wrongs anytime soon.

Having said that, over one and a half year in Ashley’s tenure I am still waiting to be convinced by him and it’s fair to say my initial “waiting to be convinced” has gradually transformed into an unhealthy scepticism. Ashley has made huge mistakes, ranging from getting the due diligence wrong and not having money available to invest as a result, lousy communication with the fans (“it’s a FACT”, silence), terrible appointments (a management team unable to work together for the best interest of the club), running at the first sign of trouble and a lack of expectancy management.

He will not get a clean slate but he has bought some time with this, and I think for the majority of our fans this will be last chance saloon for Mr Ashley. He will have to prove in the next months he has learned his lesson and is willing to invest in order to move the club forward, not just sideways. For me, this entails attracting a level of manager capable of moving us back to the top half of the table consistently (not Joe Kinnear!) and backing that manager by bringing in the players he wants on a transfer and wage budget that has been agreed beforehand. Despite not addressing some key weak areas in our squad and falling out with each other, there have been some decent acquisitions in the summer, so it’s a matter of building on what’s there and making it work with the right manager in charge to oversee the on-the-field progress.

Making a football club successful is a long term proposition. Ashley has not made the best of starts, but since we’re stuck with him he gets my support for one more chance to move this club in the right direction. Although I am still sceptical he will duly deliver and promise to continue to voice my criticism when I see fit (i.e. when the club’s management is deserving of it), I dread to think what will happen if he doesn’t.. It’s up to you Mr Ashley to turn this ship around.

Fantastic post. :clap:

Sums up my feelings perfectly.

Yep.

It's the best post on this board for a fair few weeks.

Sure is.  Very balanced opinion. 

Excellent :thup:

all depends on the money spent or not spent in january tbf

i hate this attitude. bassong, jonas and guthrie cost hardly anything and look like great bargains. a few more like them in january and i'll be delighted.

Too true.

Spending big is NOT the answer, we've tried that before and failed miserably. Spending wisely is more important.

If the answer was to spend big we could follow Sunderland's example but that would hardly be deemed success.

A smart approach to recruitment and clever acquisitions of players with ability and good character like Bassong, Guthrie, Colo and Jonas is a much better way to go forward.

Too true.

Spending big is NOT the answer, we've tried that before and failed miserably. Spending wisely is more important.

If the answer was to spend big we could follow Sunderland's example but that would hardly be deemed success.

A smart approach to recruitment and clever acquisitions of players with ability and good character like Bassong, Guthrie, Colo and Jonas is a much better way to go forward.

Whatever type of spending is done in January, I think we all agree that it is absolutely vital that we increase the size of the squad

Whatever type of spending is done in January, I think we all agree that it is absolutely vital that we increase the size of the squad

I hope we do that by pushing first teamers out of our starting 11 rather than by bringing in bench warmers.

I hope we do that by pushing first teamers out of our starting 11 rather than by bringing in bench warmers.

:thup:

It's the best post on this board for a fair few weeks.

It's been put very nicely, but I've seen a lot of posters saying stuff along these lines since the summer in all honesty. Still, I'm glad some realism is starting to kick in across the board.

Guest FlapjackJoe

Agreed, great post.  One question though :

"I think for the majority of our fans this will be last chance saloon for Mr Ashley."

Or else what?  We'll have demonstrations and boycott (sorry, boycoutt) the club shop?

I don't think this statement changes anything really.  Mike Ashley will still sell the club if a high enough bid comes in at any stage.  All this means is that Ashley isn't paying Keith Harris a riduculous wage to make phone calls to Dubai every day anymore.

Yes, there has been several flaws in the Ashley regime (and the complete lack of communication between the board and the fans is ridiculous - yes, 99% of what gets said should come from the manager, but it's nice to get a soundbite from the top every month or so to share their vision for the club or whatever ... seriously, bring back Chris Mort!), but I do believe Ashley is a shrewd enough businessman to realise that the only way he won't make a massive loss on this club would be to invest.  And I know loads of people are bemoaning a perceived lack of investment, but we did break our transfer record for a defender by signing Coloccini.

It will be in everyone's best interests to pull together.  So, yes, love Ashley or hate him, but we're stuck with him and we need him.  And he needs us.

I want Ashley to fuck off, but given our position/current economic climate, we're hardly beating potential owners off with shitty sticks.

I'm hoping against hope Ashley realises what a fuck up he's made of things and spends a substantial amount of cash over the next two transfer windows to not only help us avoid relegation but drag us into the midtable/european spots. He's a man who likes to spend his money on having a good time so hopefully he'll give his head a shake and realise the best time you can have is being a billionaire willing to bankroll the team you own team a trophy*

Obviously, that'll never happen as he seems to think that spending limited amounts on decent players who improve the side but dont fill the holes in threadbare squads is the way to go  :undecided:

* May have been said while David Icke - Son of God was off his pretty little face on Hobgoblin Ale

Agreed, great post.  One question though :

"I think for the majority of our fans this will be last chance saloon for Mr Ashley."

Or else what?  We'll have demonstrations and boycott (sorry, boycoutt) the club shop?

I don't think this statement changes anything really.  Mike Ashley will still sell the club if a high enough bid comes in at any stage.  All this means is that Ashley isn't paying Keith Harris a riduculous wage to make phone calls to Dubai every day anymore.

Yes, there has been several flaws in the Ashley regime (and the complete lack of communication between the board and the fans is ridiculous - yes, 99% of what gets said should come from the manager, but it's nice to get a soundbite from the top every month or so to share their vision for the club or whatever ... seriously, bring back Chris Mort!), but I do believe Ashley is a shrewd enough businessman to realise that the only way he won't make a massive loss on this club would be to invest.  And I know loads of people are bemoaning a perceived lack of investment, but we did break our transfer record for a defender by signing Coloccini.

It will be in everyone's best interests to pull together.  So, yes, love Ashley or hate him, but we're stuck with him and we need him.  And he needs us.

To answer your question, I do believe the majority of fans are willing to give Ashley another chance given our current predicament, not despite of it. If he doesn't take it, I think what will happen will be far worse for the club than demonstrations and boycoutts, namely apathy will set in big style, resulting in significantly lower crowds and the club losing even more ground (financially and otherwise) to the top clubs in the country and those willing to invest to get there. We as Newcastle United supporters have been spoilt in the last two decades, but whenever I speak to my Geordie friends I sense there is a growing feeling of frustration with the club.

The reason there was such a massive outburst after the events at the end of the transfer window was twofold in my opinion. Firstly, it was clear to all and sundry the club had once again managed to shoot itself in the foot in spectacular style; another season was effectively over before it well and truly started, even though there had been promising signs of a reversal of fortune. Second, Ashley and his management team to which we had not exactly endeared ourselves yet had unwillingly soiled the reputation of one of our few club legends. It was an emotional reaction to a surprising turn of events.

Things have changed since then. Time is a great healer as they say, but instead of massive upset has come progressive indifference. Events on the pitch in the past half season have done little to buck this trend. I think Ashley has made a mistake by distancing himself from the club as he has done. He could have come out and hold his hands up, attempt to correct the situation by making changes to his management team and saying he was willing to listen to offers if a worthy new custodian came in. As it was, he more or less left us to our own devices and I don't think it has limited the damage as it could have done if he had been more active in trying to resolve the issues that had led to the events leading to Keegan's departure.

We will give Ashley another chance because there isn't really an alternative as most people are "locked in" by season tickets. Whether people will be willing to renew if there aren't significant changes made between now and renewal time remains to be seen, especially in the current economic climate. It is in everybody's best interest that Ashley has learned from his mistakes and corrects them, because if he plans on continuing as he has done people's interest in the club will dwindle, and along will the club itself.

I think January is a hard time anyway to buy players, so that'll be the main excuse that Joe uses when he doesn't get anyone of note.

Decent excuse to be fair  :sadnod:

And then what will happen when we have another summer window were the squad problems weren't addressed?

A little bit of positivity wouldn't go amiss, even if you think you have no reason to think you should be hopeful.

It's what being a football fan is all about.

I dont think that's such an unreasonable ask! Afterall, pro or anti-Ashley, we all want the club to succeed regardless of who is in charge. The trouble with some of the anti-Ashley brigade is that some of them talk as if Keegan was the only manager we could have succeeded under.

I think January is a hard time anyway to buy players, so that'll be the main excuse that Joe uses when he doesn't get anyone of note.

Decent excuse to be fair  :sadnod:

And then what will happen when we have another summer window were the squad problems weren't addressed?

A little bit of positivity wouldn't go amiss, even if you think you have no reason to think you should be hopeful.

It's what being a football fan is all about.

I dont think that's such an unreasonable ask! Afterall, pro or anti-Ashley, we all want the club to succeed regardless of who is in charge. The trouble with some of the anti-Ashley brigade is that some of them talk as if Keegan was the only manager we could have succeeded under.

Of course we all want the club to succeed but I've outlined why I don't feel the need to be positive. So I don't feel the need why I should feel positive for the sake of it, when frankly I've been given no reason to be positive. Of course I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong, but really what has this regime done to earn them this positive approach? Then again, if I go into it in such a negative manner I won't be let down yet again by this club.

Guest Brazilianbob

Time everyone got behind Newcastle United.

Time? That goes without saying, 47K there against Spurs doing exactly that, the same if not more going today to do exactly that.

John Beresford in this month THE MAG said "even with everything going on the fans have always backed the team, unlike other clubs where they sometimes turn on the players". TBH this months Mag is well worth read.

And he's right. That's one thing guaranteed with us - we'll support the club if not always the man or men.

It's only a few moths ago since you said you'd given up on the club (for the umpteenth time) ffs.

f***ing spare me.  :lol:

please god dig up that quote. it'll go great with his "newcastle are the best club in my world" rant a few weeks ago.

And they are the best club in the world, to me and to all those that follow the club. Muppets like you however take such throw away comments literally and store them in your tiny brain waiting to trip someone up one day because that's all this forum is about these days, point scoring, bringing up what people said in the past and trying to use it against them and to be honest its sad. No wonder a good number of good posters no longer seem to post here.

"please god dig up that quote"

You sound like a right little bitch. :lol:

I'll try and find it for you if it means that much to you.  :thup:

I know what you mean HTT, I rarely post these days for the reasons you cite, and if I do, it just seems to be largely ignored or ridiculed, probably because I am deemed to be a "forum outsider" due to the limited number of posts I have made, but I have been a member of this forum and its forerunners, under the same "handle", since around 2001, which is considerably longer than most posters on here.

However,  I am content to let them get on with it as every topic, and I mean every topic, always degenerates into childish disputes over who said what and when and the topic is lost in the mists of argument, and at that point it is so easy to distinguish the juveniles from the adults.