Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

I think they'd want more for Richards if they came to sell him. To be honest I still think he's a good player, he's just stagnated a bit and regressed in places. Looked like a probable world-beater not too long ago.

Seems to be more of a mental problem with him than a physical one, and I wouldn't trust our lot to have a major positive effect on the mental side of his game.

I dont know what would happen truth be told, normally we just take players that are hyped up and in a good mental state, then drag them down and rip them apart.

Could be a good thing if he joins us,  he will at least fit in.

Again I'd worry about the mental state of Elano's game. I wouldn't trust the likes of Kinnear to get the best out of him.

I think he would have worked well under Keegan for example; he's clearly got the talent there, just not totally sure about his application at the moment.

I think they'd want more for Richards if they came to sell him. To be honest I still think he's a good player, he's just stagnated a bit and regressed in places. Looked like a probable world-beater not too long ago.

Seems to be more of a mental problem with him than a physical one, and I wouldn't trust our lot to have a major positive effect on the mental side of his game.

Micah would have been out of our bracket a couple of years ago, he'd be perfect for us in theory covering both the RB and CD positions. The only doubt is whether he's turning into another Bramble, unable to deliver on the initial hype.

I wouldnt be crying into my milk if we signed Elano, but he does seem a risk, volatile in the dressing room and has fallen out with every manager he has played with.

It could be noted Mido was exactly the same and plenty of people were happy to take him here a couple of weeks ago.

Given the situation we are in I wouldnt be confident Elano would come here and deliver more than a couple of performances, even if those 6 points could determine staying up or not he might be too much of a risk.

I wouldnt be crying into my milk if we signed Elano, but he does seem a risk, volatile in the dressing room and has fallen out with every manager he has played with.

It could be noted Mido was exactly the same and plenty of people were happy to take him here a couple of weeks ago.

Given the situation we are in I wouldnt be confident Elano would come here and deliver more than a couple of performances, even if those 6 points could determine staying up or not he might be too much of a risk.

Only reason people would have been happy with Mido was because Smith was going!

I am sure Micah has played most of the season at left back iirc.

But he's a right back by trade. Would be a good replacement for Beye while he's injured, not to mention a very decent centre back.

I am sure Micah has played most of the season at left back iirc.

Don't think he has. Was with a City fan tonight who doesn't know what's gone wrong with him, mainly been at centre back with Dunne. Worked brilliantly last season, shocking this.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/67124/Shay-on-his-way/

Shay Given has ‘agreed’ his move to Man City – and Newcastle want England keeper David James to replace him.

It’s now a question of mega-rich City and Toon agreeing a fee for Given and there could be a compromise figure of £10million – a British record for a keeper.

City have so far had bids of £3m and £6m rejected, with the Geordies valuing the Republic of Ireland No.1 at £14m.

The current record for a keeper is the £9m Sunderland paid for Hearts’ Craig Gordon.

But that could be broken this week and the fact Newcastle have made enquiries about Portsmouth’s James, 38, indicates United expect Given to quit Tyneside after 12 seasons at the club.

James has already played for six clubs – Watford, Liverpool, Villa, West Ham, Man City and Pompey.

Meanwhile, a source close to Given, 32, told the Daily Star Sunday: ‘‘Shay wants to go to City and as far as he is concerned, his deal is effectively agreed in terms of the wages he’d be paid and even his image rights.

‘‘He could double his pay to £100,000-a-week and sign a contract for three-and-a-half or four-and-a-half years."

Newcastle would seem to have a replacement for Given already at the club in Steve Harper.

But he is 33 and out of contract this summer.

Newcastle boss Joe Kinnear could ask for City midfielder Michael Johnson to be part of the Given deal.

Hughes also wants Blackburn striker Roque Santa Cruz and is unlikely to part with England defender Micah Richards, 20, who has been linked with Liverpool, Wigan and Bolton.

Shay Given has ‘agreed’ his move to Man City – and Newcastle want England keeper David James to replace him.

It’s now a question of mega-rich City and Toon agreeing a fee for Given and there could be a compromise figure of £10million – a British record for a keeper.

City have so far had bids of £3m and £6m rejected, with the Geordies valuing the Republic of Ireland No.1 at £14m.

The current record for a keeper is the £9m Sunderland paid for Hearts’ Craig Gordon.

But that could be broken this week and the fact Newcastle have made enquiries about Portsmouth’s James, 38, indicates United expect Given to quit Tyneside after 12 seasons at the club.

James has already played for six clubs – Watford, Liverpool, Villa, West Ham, Man City and Pompey.

Meanwhile, a source close to Given, 32, told the Daily Star Sunday: ‘‘Shay wants to go to City and as far as he is concerned, his deal is effectively agreed in terms of the wages he’d be paid and even his image rights.

‘‘He could double his pay to £100,000-a-week and sign a contract for three-and-a-half or four-and-a-half years."

Newcastle would seem to have a replacement for Given already at the club in Steve Harper.

Newcastle boss Joe Kinnear could ask for City midfielder Michael Johnson to be part of the Given deal.

Hughes also wants Blackburn striker Roque Santa Cruz and is unlikely to part with England defender Micah Richards, 20, who has been linked with Liverpool, Wigan and Bolton.

Grim reading alround.

If there is one player this club and the current plight deserves its David James.

I would rather bring Mike Hooper back.

Grim reading alround.

If there is one player this club and the current plight deserves its David James.

Mike Hooper over the current England number 1? Interesting...

Grim reading alround.

i wouldn't and you're lying.

Yeah, he wouldnt be that bad.

I wouldnt want James anywhere near our team though. Fact he is England number one is not something anyone british should be shouting about.

He is a bigger liabilty than Bramble. We dont need another keeper if Shay leaves.

If we do get rid of Given, we'd be foolish to bring in another keeper in Jan when the money clearly needs to spent on a central midfielder, just wait until the summer to sort out the situation where :

if we go down give Krul a go/ Harper will sign a new contract

if we stay up get a new keeper in.

I wouldnt want James anywhere near our team though. Fact he is England number one is not something anyone british should be shouting about.

He is a bigger liabilty than Bramble. We dont need another keeper if Shay leaves.

What are you on about?

Hardly anything between them on James' good days. Your last line is laughable and unfair as James is a keeper so naturally any mistakes he makes will be more glorified and obvious than any the likes of Bramble might make.

Guest The Libertine

james wouldnt be able to handle the pressure the fans would surely put on him. portsmouth is fairly low-key so he does well there but the added pressure to perform is why he folds so often for england.

most likely a nothing story anyway.