Luque: 3 starts - 3 goals

Guest Knightrider

Its clear he doesnt like him, and after watching MOTD last night (why I wanted to watch the shambles again i dont know) Shearer really doesnt like him either.

His name wasnt even mentioned, with Shearer saying "Rossi is the only choice for Striker with Ameobi, Martins, Owen and Sibierksi injured, there is no one else that can play upfront!"

Its obvious he still doesnt understand the work ethic needed, but he was more than trying yesterday. I think there is still a language barrier breakdown though, he clearly still doesnt understand quite what is needed of him, which is shocking with how long he has been here and the fact Solano is mates with him.

He did more in his stint on the pitch, than Rossi, Duff, Parker did the whole game. You know there's something wrong when Luque comes on fighting, and the rest have lost interest long before. Normally when you mention Luque should be on, people around you scoff, but this time everyone was in complete agreement.

Duff was fucking atrocious, has been for a while, so either Roeder has something against Luque, he thinks the fans would rather see a ''big name'' i.e. in the form of a chelsea reject, or there's some bum loving taking place.

What the **** went on before he came on? When he was stipped off to come on then Roeder sent Ramage warming up? Shambles tbh.

Glenn has been treating him like a piece of shit on his shoe.

i think one of the defenders took a knock.

think Luque did well considering

Guest Invicta_Toon

The way half the board creams over him he shouldn't need games to find his 'form'

If he's fit, he should be banging them in straight away. Where was he last night? Did he even get a shot away?

The way half the board creams over him he shouldn't need games to find his 'form'

If he's fit, he should be banging them in straight away. Where was he last night? Did he even get a shot away?

Your trying to be funny right?..

Are you serious?, the time Luque was on him and Emre did more than the whole squad did for the game.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Are you serious?, the time Luque was on him and Emre did more than the whole squad did for the game.

I guess I must have been too pissed by then then...

It's a bit worrying, this growing belief among many that Luque is the answer. He isn't. He doesn't have the heart. If anyone can save this season, it's the much-maligned bling boy, Kieron Dyer. We'd better just pray he can keep fit.

Actually boby nobody expects Luque to save our season, that kind of thinking is idiotic (of any player) and is the reason why our fans help ruin so many of them.  No one player will save our season, its about getting the best collection of players we can on to the pitch on a game by game basis.  It just so happens that a lot of people think Luque is one of the players who should be in our team at the moment.  If you enterpret that as people thinking that one player is the answer to all our prayers then that's your problem.

Thanks so much for telling us the facts of the situation boby.. but actually nobody expects Luque to save our season, that kind of thinking is the reason why our fans help ruin so many players.  No one player will save our season, its about getting the best collection of players we can on to the pitch on a game by game basis.  It just so happens that a lot of people think Luque is one of the players who should be in our team at the moment.  If you enterpret that as people thinking that one player is the answert to all out preys then that's your problem.

:thup:

Luque isn't a CF but he held off a defender and rose to head in a fantastic cross against Palermo. If we are going to play with two wingers then we should appreciate the fact that someone got on the end of one of their crosses rather than muse on what's going wrong when two titchy forwards watch cross after cross sail tantalisingly over their heads as Duff and Rossi were forced to yesterday.

Luque needs to play. If he plays and he's shit then fine, at least we know he can't cut it in this league. But at the moment we have a virtually untested £10m striker sitting on the bench when we're in the middle of an injury crisis. It's a joke and if Roeder can't give the guy a runout then he should resign.

Ameobi has had 218 games (!!!!) to try and prove he can cut it at the top but has scored a pathetic 45 goals, whilst Luque has had just 11 starts. Yet still some people are suggesting Ameobi needs time to prove his worth but they've already made their minds up that Luque is a waste of time. Such people frankly need their heads read - If he starts 10 games in a row then we can judge him, but until then he's an unknown quantity.

People say "Perhaps Roeder has seen a bad attitude in training from him". Well I have 2 answers to that:

1) Asprilla, Cole and Ginola were all lazy in training (Our uni side used to train at Maiden Castle back in the mid 90s so I saw them extensively first hand) but given the chance they could produce the goods on the pitch and would walk into today's side.

2) I wouldn't trust Glenn Roeder to open a tin of beans.

Actually boby nobody expects Luque to save our season, that kind of thinking is idiotic (of any player) and is the reason why our fans help ruin so many of them.  No one player will save our season, its about getting the best collection of players we can on to the pitch on a game by game basis.  It just so happens that a lot of people think Luque is one of the players who should be in our team at the moment.  If you enterpret that as people thinking that one player is the answer to all our prayers then that's your problem.

You're doing what a lot of people do on this site, which is seize on particular words rather than respond to the overall meaning of the post.

There's a lot of exasperation around that Roeder won't play Luque, but based on his performances that decision seems perfectly reasonable to me. This clamour for his being picked must be based on something, but that something seems to be hope born of desperation, rather than any level-headed assessment of his contributions so far.

On the other hand, Dyer is a very energetic player who, on his day, can really make things happen and turn a performance round. We do need someone like that, because overall confidence is very low. For sure it's a team game, but often particular players can make all the difference.

^ not really bobyule. if you confront the argument that luque is "the answer" to our problems then you're simply demolishing a straw man. there is no one player who is the answer, certainly not luque or dyer. approaching team selection from the point of view of wondering which players can "save a season" is misunderstanding the situation we are in.

you make a good point that luque hasn't looked great when he's played, but neither has anyone else. Rossi's performance against Sheff Utd, or in the 2nd half against Charlton, was equal to Luque at his worst last season. while Duff has looked bright he never looks threatening and nor does the team look comfortable with him there. Luque doesn't exist in a vacuum by which he should be selected simply based upon what he alone does. he has to be assessed in comparison to the other forwards in the team. as i've pointed out, rossi and duff has looked a shocking combination so far, while in contrast Luque doesn't look nearly as bad.

^ not really bobyule. if you confront the argument that luque is "the answer" to our problems then you're simply demolishing a straw man. there is no one player who is the answer, certainly not luque or dyer. approaching team selection from the point of view of wondering which players can "save a season" is misunderstanding the situation we are in.

you make a good point that luque hasn't looked great when he's played, but neither has anyone else. Rossi's performance against Sheff Utd, or in the 2nd half against Charlton, was equal to Luque at his worst last season. while Duff has looked bright he never looks threatening and nor does the team look comfortable with him there. Luque doesn't exist in a vacuum by which he should be selected simply based upon what he alone does. he has to be assessed in comparison to the other forwards in the team. as i've pointed out, rossi and duff has looked a shocking combination so far, while in contrast Luque doesn't look nearly as bad.

Top post especially on relative merits  :thup:

I'd agree that Rossi and Duff don't look like a combination, but I think that's because both are more suited to the more withdrawn striker Bellamy / Beardsley type role. With Owen, Shola, Martins and Sibierski all injured, we don't have a fit player who can play the more advanced role.

Trouble is, I don't think Luque can either, at least not in the Premiership. Your line of argument seems to be 'at least he's not going to be as bad', but I can understand Roeder's decision here. With the other two, Roeder can trust them to put in a bit of effort, whereas Luque still looks like he's not sure he really wants to be here. In a crisis, the last thing that Roeder and the team want is someone who's not pulling their weight. It's a downer and an irritant for everyone.

I'd agree that Rossi and Duff don't look like a combination, but I think that's because both are more suited to the more withdrawn striker Bellamy / Beardsley type role. With Owen, Shola, Martins and Sibierski all injured, we don't have a fit player who can play the more advanced role.

Trouble is, I don't think Luque can either, at least not in the Premiership. Your line of argument seems to be 'at least he's not going to be as bad', but I can understand Roeder's decision here. With the other two, Roeder can trust them to put in a bit of effort, whereas Luque still looks like he's not sure he really wants to be here. In a crisis, the last thing that Roeder and the team want is someone who's not pulling their weight. It's a downer and an irritant for everyone.

Bob, your argument would only be valid if it was true that Luque does not want to be here which quite frankly is an observation/myth that is only advocated by those who want to get on his back. He might not have adapted to our long ball tactics and is consequently  unable to play in a  Shearer centre forward position (even that has been improving of late), but that is very different from saying he does not give a toss bout our club. My bet is that a player whose gets very rare opportunities to play would give more than one who knows for sure he is buggering back to Man Utd come January.