Peter Løvenkradns signs cøntract tø end øf seasøn

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

An extra body, cover if N'Zogbia gets his wish.

Doesn't cost owt, only 28. No risk.

the risk is that he might not be any good. there's no financial risk or outlay (the ashley way) but a free transfer is more of a gamble, in terms of bringing in quality, then spending a sizeable amount of money on an established player.

Thats a one-dimensional way of looking at it.

the risk is that he might not be any good. there's no financial risk or outlay (the ashley way) but a free transfer is more of a gamble, in terms of bringing in quality, then spending a sizeable amount of money on an established player.

6m - Alan Smith

Thats a one-dimensional way of looking at it.

the opposite really, as i was pointing out there's more than one way of looking at risk, ie beyond the purely financial.

I suppose what was meant was the 'risk' was low, not because there was no possibility that he won't do well, but because even if he does turn out to be rubbish we will have lost very little.

Very similar to the Diatta situation. Nothing lost...

I suppose what was meant was the 'risk' was low, not because there was no possibility that he won't do well, but because even if he does turn out to be rubbish we will have lost very little.

yeah, in a financial sense that's spot on. but we may well lose out because we brought in a player who isnt good enough rather than someone who is decent just because one happened to be a free agent in january. considering our perilous position i'd rather we take a gamble financially (especially since we've spent almost nothing for 3 windows) than a gamble on quality.

yeah, in a financial sense that's spot on. but we may well lose out because we brought in a player who isnt good enough rather than someone who is decent just because one happened to be a free agent in january. considering our perilous position i'd rather we take a gamble financially (especially since we've spent almost nothing for 3 windows) than a gamble on quality.

I get you, I agree I would rather see us buying a quality player if we can. Just don't think that is likely to happen in the current situation, and even it was I wouldn't argue against this kind of squad-building on top.

Guest toonlass

I get you, I agree I would rather see us buying a quality player if we can. Just don't think that is likely to happen in the current situation, and even it was I wouldn't argue against this kind of squad-building on top.

Having thought about it, I guess he would be a good addition to the squad. He might just be a surprise and actually shine at Newcastle. Lets just wait and see what happens at the end of the week.

:thup: my worry would be that we're unneccessarily limiting ourselves to cheap signings. doesnt mean this player is not good, he might turn out to be awesome, or he might turn out to be shit. diatta turned out to be the latter, i'm not sure we can afford to make such a mistake this time round. of course it would be great if he is not the only attacking player we bring in but i wont be holding my breath on that front! will be interesting to see if Lovekrands coming in means someone like N'Zogbia leaves, too.

Jonas is a winger, this guy is a striker and when a striker fails to score ONE goal in TWENTY appearances, I say something's wrong. Also this may just be me, but when a player is "released", it sets off alarm bells. I don't think we should be wasting our time and pay roll.

Hey, I hope I'm wrong, though.

At least make an effort to find out what position he plays before flying off the handle.

I think you'll find he is played on the wing.

:thup: my worry would be that we're unneccessarily limiting ourselves to cheap signings. doesnt mean this player is not good, he might turn out to be awesome, or he might turn out to be shit. diatta turned out to be the latter, i'm not sure we can afford to make such a mistake this time round. of course it would be great if he is not the only attacking player we bring in but i wont be holding my breath on that front! will be interesting to see if Lovekrands coming in means someone like N'Zogbia leaves, too.

Yeah you're right, my main worry is that it would mean Zoggy going. I certainly wouldn't want that, but then again you could look at it the other way - if Zog is definitely going then we need someone else to come in.

Lovenkrands might be coming in as a striker to fill in for Martins I suppose, I think he can play that role as well.

If there are players to improve us available I'd like to think we'd be prepared to spend at least a bit, I also wouldn't be happy if we were taking second-best options out of choice.

I'm not against this possible signing by any means, my only question mark would be do we need yet another left winger? We need players through the middle or wide right and by that I mean players who are right-footed, not left wingers shunted to their wrong side. From what is being said here, he's too lightweight/lazy to play through the centre, so however cheap he might be it seems unlikely he's what we need.

Yeah you're right, my main worry is that it would mean Zoggy going. I certainly wouldn't want that, but then again you could look at it the other way - if Zog is definitely going then we need someone else to come in.

Lovenkrands might be coming in as a striker to fill in for Martins I suppose, I think he can play that role as well.

If there are players to improve us available I'd like to think we'd be prepared to spend at least a bit, I also wouldn't be happy if we were taking second-best options out of choice.

yep we definitely need another pacy striker tbh, when Martins is out our shape across the length of the pitch suffers a ridiculous amount. remains to be seen where this lad will play, so far ive heard him described as a striker, a left winger and a right winger.

Lovenkrands will cost nothing, if he is crap he wont get a contract, if Kinnear likes him then he will sign, I dont understand why people are being so negative, is he better than Donaldson, Lua Lua, Xisco -  Yes he is. That is all we have at present. No Martins, Barton, Viduka, Smith etc for another three weeks we need players now.

We are no longer a buying club, we compare to West Brom, Stoke and other clubs near the bottom with exeption of Spuds and Citeh, we have to accept that, the likes of Elano, Jo etc is just a dream it will not happen. Bassong came on a weeks trial and has turned out to be our best player this season, if we got to the end of the transfer window people would slag the club off and say we haven't tried to sign players, at least Lovenkrands is an extra body to come off the bench if needed.

I genuiely believe the club is trying to get players in, but dont expect world beaters, they will be players no one wants, because at the moment no high profile player will sign for this club because we are a mess. FACT

Lovenkrands will cost nothing, if he is crap he wont get a contract, if Kinnear likes him then he will sign, I dont understand why people are being so negative, is he better than Donaldson, Lua Lua, Xisco -  Yes he is. That is all we have at present. No Martins, Barton, Viduka, Smith etc for another three weeks we need players now.

We are no longer a buying club, we compare to West Brom, Stoke and other clubs near the bottom with exeption of Spuds and Citeh, we have to accept that, the likes of Elano, Jo etc is just a dream it will not happen. Bassong came on a weeks trial and has turned out to be our best player this season, if we got to the end of the transfer window people would slag the club off and say we haven't tried to sign players, at least Lovenkrands is an extra body to come off the bench if needed.

I genuiely believe the club is trying to get players in, but dont expect world beaters, they will be players no one wants, because at the moment no high profile player will sign for this club because we are a mess. FACT

True, but a little over dramatic.  Elano or Jo would come here in a shot imo. I think its more about our top brass wanting to steer clear of the players than them being out of our league.

The reason Elano isnt going anywhere is because of his reputation of being a tantrum throwing trouble maker.

Jo would seem a gamble for any club in the premier league.

Whilst we are struggling and have kinnear as a manager we are still alot more attractive to players than you are putting it.

Gibberish. If you get a player in for free it still gives you the opportunity to spend any money you have. Unless time is such a scarce resource that making a free signing 'crowds out' the ability to make other signings which involve money, then essentially your talking through your poop-hole.

what if Lovenkrands is completely finished (like Duff) and yet Kinnear insists on starting him, instead of let's say Jonas.. I'd say that's not very likely, but in recent years we've seen Pattison start ahead of Luque, Duff ahead of N'Zogbia and Carroll ahead of Xisco, so this wont be the first time a manager f***s up, because he favors his players.

Guest sicko2ndbest

The way i see it is:

If hes good its a bonus

If hes shit weve not lost or gained owt

I think like all new signings we as fans make a massive difference to his confidence levels!

Guest Guinness

Don't see any harm in signing him if he impresses in training. Just hope that if we sign him he doesn't turn out to be our only January signing.