The Kevin Keegan thread

The Prophet

For all those who reckon Keegan was right to walk in 2008, do you also reckon he was right to walk in 1997?

For me, he was wrong to walk back then, he broke my heart for no apparent reason. The basis of his exit was proved by history to be a load of bollocks as Shepherd continued to back his managers as best as he could.

He didn't leave us in the lurch in 1997, whatever the rights and wrongs of his departure.

True enough, i only asked if he was right to do what he did.

Interested in what people have to say about this, as the 'man of principle who had no choice but to leave' must have left the last time for the same reasons.

I do love a bit of historical revisionism.

I guess from my point of view I don't/didn't mind so much if his reasons for leaving us were bollocks back then as he left us in a good situation which he'd built up over several seasons.

I cried, soft shite that I am, in 1997. I was just fucking angry this time around. But angry with everyone, not just him.

For all those who reckon Keegan was right to walk in 2008, do you also reckon he was right to walk in 1997?

For me, he was wrong to walk back then, he broke my heart for no apparent reason. The basis of his exit was proved by history to be a load of bollocks as Shepherd continued to back his managers as best as he could.

He didn't leave us in the lurch in 1997, whatever the rights and wrongs of his departure.

Interested in what people have to say about this, as the 'man of principle who had no choice but to leave' must have left the last time for the same reasons.

I guess from my point of view I don't/didn't mind so much if his reasons for leaving us were bollocks back then as he left us in a good situation which he'd built up over several seasons.

I cried, soft shite that I am, in 1997. I was just fucking angry this time around. But angry with everyone, not just him.

I'm asking people like Robster and many others on here that insist that Keegan had no choice but to leave if thats why he left the last time?

Because he was wrong in 1997, history tells us that.

I'm asking people like Robster and many others on here that insist that Keegan had no choice but to leave if thats why he left the last time?

Wrong, or lied about his reasons for going.

Anyone?

from what ive read he said to terry mac that he felt he couldnt motivate the players any longer, and that terry mac agreed. so he offered to resign at the end of that season, but due to the imminent floatation, members of the board (mark corbridge?) said he should either stay long term or leave immediately. so that was that. if we're looking for dirt on keegan (god knows why) then his first term here probably isnt the best place to start looking considering his huge achievement back then.

I must admit I am not really looking that deeply into whether he was wrong or right to leave. All I can say is that if Keegan felt it was right to leave then I am prepared to accept that - as devastating as it was to have him leave in '97.

I just dont feel that he owed it to me, personally to stay because he "loved" me as a fan. I just cant go along with the angle of "how could he leave the club if he loved it that much" like he doesnt get affected by things at work like the rest of us.

Probably over simplistic I know  :undecided:

Anyone?

I'm not sure why he walked in 1997, but he had transformed the club completely by the time he did.

All those people who think he should have battled on longer than he did this time around, surely realise that he would've been held responsible for the non-performance of any players recruited for him, eg Xisco. Unreasonabe circumstances in which to continue IMO.

:lol: @ this thread, non of us know what went on, if he was sacked or if he walked, both sides have a different story and the fact is we will NEVER get the truth on the matter. Even after its settled the deal will contain a gag order of some sorts to make sure its all hushed up.

There is a big difference between walking and being pushed, the hardest thing to bare though is the mess we are in now, if we had been in the top 6 no one would care. We are still suffering the effects of the expectation we had when he came back, 1st game new season a draw away at Man Ure got everyone over excited. Then a poor transfer window happens and everyone is furious about it, next day KK's gone and its down hil from then. Keegan did not apoint JK, Keegan did not make a mess of the January window, its not his fault we are in this mess so bebg angry with him for that is crazy.

Guest BooBoo

Keegans a petulant brat at times but he will be one of many who will have to shoulder a proportion of the blame, should we go down.

Keegan shafted "the club he loves" and is now trying to get £9 million for  it and you're all falling over  yourselves to make excuses for him. :lol:

As Toon's Taylor has said, you're like battered wives.

You and TT keep making excuses for munters who are failing our club.

Try using a bit of logic sometime. Pointing out where Keegan is to blame is not making excuses for anyone else.

So you blame KK and not ashley?

I blame them both, and the fans who immediately went nuclear.

The reaction came about not only because Keegan left in the circumstances he did, but also because of the silence from the club. Ashley could have come out before the Hull game with a statement in reaction to Keegan leaving. A statement similar to the one he released when selling the club; re-enforcing his vision for the club, but also explaining things like Wise's role in more detail. People wouldn’t have gone as nuclear if this had happened.

There was nothing apart from the 'FACT' statement, which had no name to it. It was crazy really; anger was allowed to build up during that week because zero leadership was shown by the people at the club.

Yes, the chaos/unrest did not help the team, but there were allegations of foul play towards a legend of this club & during this time there was no communication from anyone at the club. It was mis-managed so badly & the reaction was, in part, a result of that, and understandable imo.

Rafa has had major problems regarding transfers but didn't quit.

Mourinho had the same problems but didn't quit.

Jol had the same problems but didn't quit.

Keegan has played a huge role in this whole mess regardless of how justified people think he was in his actions.

Guest afternoonfix

Keegan has left us in this mess, and he says he loves the club..........bollocks, he's a bottler ,

its easy to walk ,harder to knuckle down and get on with things.

Guest Brummiemag

In my opinion Keegans position was made untenable by Ashley and I dont blame him for walking. I'm sure Keegan wouldn't have returned unless he had been promised serious transfer funds by Ashley and complete control over those transfers.

He got neither and was in effect tricked by Ashley into coming back. Ashley could have salvaged the situation by moving or removing Wise but he didn't - in effect he chose Wise over Keegan and thats the thing that many fans including myself find hard to understand and forgive.

Its been downhill ever since

Even if we were managers of NUFC, and the owners wouldnt actually let us manage or sign players, we would walk.

Would Keegan be more respected for working against his bosses? If he had the current team, we'd be mid table and everyone would be calling him shite (as us nufc fans do)

Guest The Libertine
I'm sure Keegan wouldn't have returned unless he had been promised serious transfer funds by Ashley and complete control over those transfers.

He got neither and was in effect tricked by Ashley into coming back.

what a load of shit. mort said keegan knew the system/situation and agreed to it before he signed. any talk from keegan himself about breaking world records was sheer stupidity.

some thoughts:

"keegan left us in a mess" - did he fuck, we'd played 3 in the league and had 4 points, and were still in the CC...we also played very well against manyoo at OT, to say he left us in a mess is a disgrace to be honest as the mess was created entirely after he went by a number of factors, MA & the protests basically

"he should have stayed if he loved the club" - good point from Chez [i think] about happiness at work and why should he stay if he's not happy, however that doesn't stand up for me...employment in professional football isn't comparable to anything else and given there are only 2 opportunities to buy players all season how does not being in control of transfers lead him to be unhappy when it's irrelevant 90% of the time?  of course he should have fucking stayed, however he couldn't have predicted what happened when he left, no-one could

"he shouldn't be suing the club he loves" - of course he fucking shouldn't, especially when we're losing money hand over fist, it must be a nice principle to live by that, one that allows you to walk away with impunity while the fans you profess to love are stuck in the shit, then you expect 9m or whatever for sticking to your principles...have to see if i can come up with something similar to apply to my own life

could probably write more but there's no point, all parties share a portion of the blame for where we are now, including FS & the previous regime...no one is clean in this one, no one at all

Guest Brummiemag

I'm sure Keegan wouldn't have returned unless he had been promised serious transfer funds by Ashley and complete control over those transfers.

what a load of s***. mort said keegan knew the system/situation and agreed to it before he signed. any talk from keegan himself about breaking world records was sheer stupidity.

Your the one talking shit - Keegan would not have returned unless he had been promised significant funds and control over transfers. Why do some people on here prefer to believe Ashley rather than Keegan, amazing really

what a load of s***. mort said keegan knew the system/situation and agreed to it before he signed. any talk from keegan himself about breaking world records was sheer stupidity.

Your the one talking s*** - Keegan would not have returned unless he had been promised significant funds and control over transfers. Why do some people on here prefer to believe Ashley rather than Keegan, amazing really

Spot on. Look where we are for f***s sake. Yes, KK agreed to Wise being a DOF. No, he didn't agree to players being signed on Wise's sole authority.

Cue the denial brigade.......

Your the one talking s*** - Keegan would not have returned unless he had been promised significant funds and control over transfers. Why do some people on here prefer to believe Ashley rather than Keegan, amazing really

Spot on. Look where we are for f***s sake. Yes, KK agreed to Wise being a DOF. No, he didn't agree to players being signed on Wise's sole authority.

http://www.milartgl.com/images_2_b/b_the_iron_brigade.jpg

The Mike Ashley Denial Brigade

"Theres Kevin Keegan!"

"Quick get him"

Guest The Libertine

Your the one talking shit - Keegan would not have returned unless he had been promised significant funds and control over transfers. Why do some people on here prefer to believe Ashley rather than Keegan, amazing really

at what point in ashleys time here has he or anyone connected to him claimed we would spend "significant funds"? the club would NOT have said "here kev have £200 million m8" as a lure. keegan most likely came back for the money he would get, not spend. sad, but very possibly true.

at what point in ashleys time here has he or anyone connected to him claimed we would spend "significant funds"? the club would NOT have said "here kev have £200 million m8" as a lure. keegan most likely came back for the money he would get, not spend. sad, but very possibly true.

The 16 million quid they were going to spunk on the croation tranny?

Guest The Libertine

the most we've heard of that last part from someone who would know is that wise brought in a loan player at the last minute to strengthen the squad after milner went.

:omg:

Guest The Libertine

The 16 million quid they were going to spunk on the croation tranny?

they thought that would be a "right deal at the right time". that doesnt mean we would follow that up with another £50 million on other players. chances are we'd not have colo if we'd got modric.