Alan Smith

Dave

Alan Smith is going to make a large difference to our team  up until the end of the season. IMO of course.

I agree. With him playing we're dead certs for relegation

Nice twist. However, I believe he is the sort of player we need on the pitch just to show a bit of fight and passion. Especially if we were to be drawn into a major relegation fight. I would have him in before Butt and Geremi I know that.

mackems.gif

Apologies, but have you seen Smith play? his version of fight and passion involves one move.  Slide tackling.  And he's shit at it.  Misses and lets the man go by or chops him down and gives away free kick (and often gets a card).

Ask Leeds fans if his "fight and passion" was worth it when they went down.

Guest firetotheworks

I can only he hope he has A Nicky Butt-esque renaissance period which helps us stay up, and then we can look to get a half decent price for him in the summer.

Alan Smith is going to make a large difference to our team  up until the end of the season. IMO of course.

Nice twist. However, I believe he is the sort of player we need on the pitch just to show a bit of fight and passion. Especially if we were to be drawn into a major relegation fight. I would have him in before Butt and Geremi I know that.

The problem is that as a midfielder he not only offers nothing by way of passing ability, he's ridiculously crude in the tackle. He's a massive liability in there.

If he gets a game anywhere it should be up front. He might not score or make any goals but at least he won't cost us any.

The problem is that as a midfielder he not only offers nothing by way of passing ability, he's ridiculously crude in the tackle. He's a massive liability in there.

If he gets a game anywhere it should be up front. He might not score or make any goals but at least he won't cost us any.

Problem is, given that he can no longer find the back of the net, I'd rather have Ranger or Carroll up there.  Developing a youngster is more important to me than risking two yellows or a straight red as Alan Smith chases shadows and throws himself in to people up front.

I so hope Smith proves me wrong if he does get a game.

The thing is I would rather have people who ould actually score up front and I don't think Smith is any worse than Butt tbf, Smith has got more running in him than Butt too...

I'd play him ahead of Butt too, he was used there by Fergie. I'm still hopeful we'll sign M'Bia or Donadel in which case we wouldn't see either of them near a starting line up.

He doesn't shoot

He can't time a tackle

He's never demonstrated any ability to pass a ball

We'd be better off fielding 10 men rather than let him back on the pitch

Do you remember how appalling he was last season mate? He didn't even show any fight or passion, most of the time he just stood around in the centre circle, and when the ball came close he lunged into a reckless challenge.

Him and Barton both in CM, worth a bet we go down to 10 men, if they do not fight eachother that is. Sky could book that as a PPV fight and make a fortune.

:D

Like most players he says the right things but on the pitch he is not good enough and has'nt been since his time at Leeds. I can't imaginne the surgery he had on his ankle is going to turn him into Pele :lol:

Smudger Targets Baggies Return

By Craig Hope

ALAN Smith is hoping to celebrate the end of six months of painstaking rehabilitation by returning to the Newcastle United squad for this weekend's trip to West Brom.

The 28-year-old fractured his ankle during pre-season and has yet to figure for the Magpies this term.

But, after making a competitive comeback for United's Reserves last week, Smith says that Saturday's clash against the West Midlands basement boys is now firmly within his sights.

"My aim was to get through 60 minutes for the Reserves so I was delighted to do so and at the end of it I didn't want to come off,"

"West Brom is now the target for me.

"I felt great in my comeback match and there were no muscle strains or anything which sometimes happens when you've been out for a while.

"I've worked hard during the past six months or so and my thanks go the physios for their help in getting me where I am today.

"I feel good now but obviously it was a big setback for me because I'd played most of pre-season before I fractured my ankle.

"I had a fracture which, in layman's terms, is a broken ankle. There was also a ligament reattachment on the outside so it was a very serious injury.

"Six months was the schedule but during then there was a bit of confusion and it was reported that I had an Achilles problem but that was never the case."

Might as well give him another shot in dm, can't be worse than Butt,  if his only job is to tackle and give the ball to Nolan he could do alright, he did that against arsenal I believe last season and played well.

It's probably just because I havn't seen him play foe ages though and have forgotten how bad he is.

Guest johnson293

If Oba isn't back for the weekend, would it be worth giving Smith another go up front alongside Ameobi or Carroll?

I know we needs goals, which he hasn't scored any of for us, but at least its less damaging than having him mis-timing tackles in the middle, and getting himself booked/sent off - especially if he's too fired up.

:undecided:

Can he make things any worse than they are now, I suppose at least there is a bit of up and at em about him and one thing and I mean one thing we can't criticise him for is his effort.

Who knows a goal or two may spark a run in him. Then again it is Smith and it is Newcastle so chances are he will be dogshite again and be played regardless..

If we want to put a positive spin on smith here it is.

If he returns to the starting lineup he will get a run of games as a striker in a 4-4-2  alongside Oba, who he has looked most decent alongside.

Under Allardyce he played in a 4-3-3 as both a wide striker and a midfielder and he is worthless in these positions.

When Keegan first came in I believe he played Smith in a 4-4-2 initially but I don't think it was with Oba. Then we switched to the 3 striker formation which he didn't feature in.

IMO I think this is the only thing we can hold onto i.e. Smith alongside Oba as Oba will hopefully cause enough havoc to give Smith a chances in space.

Smith alongside the other plodders is a waste of time.

Guest Stephen927

The performance up front against Arsenal last season shows what he's capable of. He's not a midfielder, he's not a prolific goalscorer, he's a half decent target man who desperately needs to be given a second chance.

His confidence took a huge knock when he was asked to play on the right of a midfield three under Allardyce, everyones confidence was low at that time but Smith was never given the chance to start over with the fans under Keegan.