Ryan Taylor

Dave

He is a regular starter, and regardless of how limited many think he is, he has done a decent job and performed to a decent standard in a consistent top 6/7 team in the Premier League. To get him committed for another 2 years saves the club a shit load of cash that they would need to spend on fees/agents to replace him, so free that money up in theory for other players/contracts.

Good news if you ask me.

He is a regular starter, and regardless of how limited many think he is, he has done a decent job and performed to a decent standard in a consistent top 6/7 team in the Premier League. To get him committed for another 2 years saves the club a s*** load of cash that they would need to spend on fees/agents to replace him, so free that money up in theory for other players/contracts.

Good news if you ask me.

He is a regular starter, he shouldn't be.

Hopefully he'll just be a squad filler next season, I think he's earned a new contract to be honest. He is limited but pretty solid this season. I would have him in the team before Simmo on current form.

Very useful player. I am good with having someone in our squad that loves playing for the club, can cover four positions with varying degrees of competence, delivers very good set pieces, and will not make noises about playing more. Ryan is a valuable asset, imo, and well worth the (undoubtedly minor) wage that he is being compensated with.

Glad he's signed a new contract, never going to be a world beater but a good squad player and somebody i'm relatively confident in not fucking up if he plays.

Can't agree on that, especially at fullback he's always likely to let the side down. Not his fault, he's just not very good.

He is a regular starter, and regardless of how limited many think he is, he has done a decent job and performed to a decent standard in a consistent top 6/7 team in the Premier League. To get him committed for another 2 years saves the club a s*** load of cash that they would need to spend on fees/agents to replace him, so free that money up in theory for other players/contracts.

Good news if you ask me.

He is a regular starter, he shouldn't be.

Completely the managers fault that one, obviously. Raylor is easily worthy of a place in the squad for a team in our position. We just need a manager who can see what his strengths/weaknesses are and who'll play more talented players ahead of him.

If you think this is bad news you have an ulterior agenda.  Clearly it's important to keep good squad players signed up and happy.  He's done a good job when called upon this season and this is due reward for him and the club.

Guest bimpy474

Glad he's signed a new contract, never going to be a world beater but a good squad player and somebody i'm relatively confident in not fucking up if he plays.

Can't agree on that, especially at fullback he's always likely to let the side down. Not his fault, he's just not very good.

Aye, Man City errors was blotted from my memory until now :(

Completely the managers fault that one, obviously. Raylor is easily worthy of a place in the squad for a team in our position. We just need a manager who can see what his strengths/weaknesses are and who'll play more talented players ahead of him.

I don't have any problem at all with having Ryan Taylor on the bench, especially as he can cover a few positions, I cringe every time he starts.

Sewelly's said it best.

If he's a squad player/cover player going forward, I'm fine with it.  If he's seen as a first XI regular, no matter where on the pitch that may be, it's a problem.  He is certainly good enough to be a squad player in the Premiership but he should be nowhere near a top 6 quality starting XI.  Surely Pardew knows this, right?  (Don't answer that)

I think sometimes it's easy to mix up the fact that we've managed to get some decent results while he's playing with him actually being responsible for those decent results.

He played in just about every match when he's been fit. We've had a very good season and he's clearly been part of that effort. The guy has done a lot this season. I think you are being unfair if want to insinuate that he has somehow just been a passenger on the journey.

I think sometimes it's easy to mix up the fact that we've managed to get some decent results while he's playing with him actually being responsible for those decent results.

He played in just about every match when he's been fit. We've had a very good season and he's clearly been part of that effort. The guy has done a lot this season. I think you are being unfair if want to insinuate that he has somehow just been a passenger on the journey.

Maybe I am being harsh, he's capable of filling a space on the field and tracking his opposite number most of the time. Except at fullback where he gets badly exposed unless heavily protected by his winger.

Going forward he can pass it short with reasonable success and obviously can deliver a great set piece.

I don't have anything against him, he has over-performed vs (very low) expectations but I still don't think he's a good player.

Guest Brynn

From barely making the bench in the championship, to becoming a fantastic fotballer and one of our best players starting every week.

Pardew must see something in him previous managers havent.

Does anyone know how much he is/was on?

Content with this. We do need some depth in our squad and Raylor can cover a variety of positions. I've put cover in italics because that should be his role within this squad, a player who is primarily backup. He has been decent this season and has certainly improved so he really does deserve this extension. Decent squad player, no more and no less. Mind you, if he's a regular in the starting XI come next season then some questions do need to be asked.