Ryan Taylor

Dave

is it just me or is he starting to link up well with Jonas not only with Jonas helping him out in defence but offering an option for him in offence

I've noticed that too, they do seem to be building up a bit of an understanding and Jonas has been more free to roam forward recently.

is it just me or is he starting to link up well with Jonas not only with Jonas helping him out in defence but offering an option for him in offence

He should help Jonas out, Jonas does at much of his defending as he does.

A few terrible bits of defending today, but he's not as much of a liability as I expected. Still need a proper LB as soon as though.

Aye, my opinion of him has certainly improved. Don't shit myself as much when he touches the ball these days.

Got caught out of position a few times today.

I think Wigan's tactics were to expose the lack of pace at the left side of our defense as the majority of long balls they played in the first half came down that side for Rodallega to run on to.

This run of games has shown me he's good enough for cover there, something I didn't think possible at the start of the season however he is one of the weak links in the side and if Santon is going to play right back then a left back should be our top priority.

Former Wigan man Ryan Taylor was not surprised that Newcastle were made to work until the very end for their win over his old club.

Despite losing their last five league games before Saturday's match at St. James' Park, Taylor knew that the Latics would offer a stern test - and so it proved.

It took a superb goal from Yohan Cabaye with just nine minutes on the clock to secure the three points and the left-back, who had an excellent game, always had a feeling one goal would decide the match.

And fortunately, that goal fell to the Magpies just as the visitors appeared to have done enough to frustrate Alan Pardew's side, who remain fourth after their latest victory. 

"I'd agree we didn't play at our best but you're going to get games like that and it's about getting through them and getting the points - especially at home," Taylor told nufc.co.uk.

"The character of the team was needed today and the win justified the character because we never say die.

"We knew it was going to be tough. Wigan set up with a five man midfield and it was tough. Full credit to Wigan, they came here with a gameplan but we took the points so we're happy.

"I think it was a good move by the gaffer to bring Hatem (Ben Arfa) on because he opens up defences. Wigan kept it tight at the back and kept our wide men quiet.

"It was always going to be a one-niller and the gaffer was saying even two days ago that Wigan could be a 1-0 game. People were looking at it thinking we should be beaten them by three or four but I know what Wigan are like and Wigan don't let you just roll over them.

"To win was great but we always knew that we had to dig in - and we did."

Taylor spent four years with the Latics before joining United in February 2009, and still has friends in the Wigan dressing room.

But there is no room for sentiment in football and Taylor was more concerned with another win for his current side than his former team dropping to the bottom of the Barclays Premeir League.

"Obviously I want Wigan to do well, but I'm not sad that we took three points off them because I want us to move on and push up the league, and keep up there," he insisted.

"I want to see Wigan stay in the Premier League but when we play them I want to take six points off them every season.

"It was a bit heartbreaking for Wigan because they did well but on personal level I'm happy with the win."

• 2 weeks later...

Say what you want about Ryan Taylor, but he is tough!

Fucking hero tonight, and no mistake. Has taken a fair few hard batterings from various Stoke players and weathered the storm. :clap:

Great game tonight from him :thup:

Working brilliantly down the left with Jonas as well. Tough decision for Pardew when to bring Santon in as Raylor has hardly put a foot wrong this season (apart from looking shaky at QPR).

That was probably the first time this season I've felt comfortable with him at the back and well done to Jonas for helping him out.

:nods:

For me though, I started to feel comfortable with him in defence after the Spurs game.