Ryan Taylor

Dave

I don't understand how the second wasn't a mistake, if you're uncertian put it in the stands. Taylor has been relatively solid this season but he's had his fair share of suspect moments, a couple of which were brutally expolited by a quality outfit. It by no means undoes his good work of the previous weeks, but Santon has to start getting a look in, sooner rather than later.

Both his mistakes were born from being unbalanced. You can't use the fact that he's a midfielder as an excuse for mistakes - he's playing left-back and the errors were made, which is why people are questioning his place in the side. Whether or not he's a defender or a midfielder has always been a grey area anyway.

That said, i still wouldn't drop him for now because of the message it would give to the player and the rest of the squad. He's earned his place on merit and doesn't deserve binning immediately after a cock-up. We've enforced that policy in the past and it's done nothing for morale. Plus i don't fancy changing the defense/slinging a new player in against away to one of the best sides in Europe.

It was the lad's worst performance for us this season (well maybe QPR was worse). The penalty he gave away was stupid, why did he have his arms spread out like that? You shouldn't do that at this level. The second goal was his mistake too, such a poor touch.

For the past 11 games or so before City, he has been reasonably solid (QPR game aside), so it is harsh to drop him just like that. But his weaknesses were exploited yesterday so it may be time to ease him out of the side.

His positioning and body shape were wrong for the second - something you could maybe forgive a player for, baring in mind he is arguably a midfielder and he was on his wrong side i.e. Left Back. It's probably happened a few times this season in less dangerous positions, with lower quality opposition who haven't done the ultimate damage...although that's not something I could say was 100% correct, I reckon it probably is. You're not wrong in your criticism, I just hope people don't think this justifies him being kicked out the team.

As for the first, any player that close to their own goal makes themselves as large as possible, and as hard to beat as possible. An opposition player wont be looking at the defender thinking "His arms are out let's get the penalty." They'll be thinking "f***ing hell, where do I put this" or "I'll just smack it." I don't think Raylor did a great lot wrong here, and I'm not saying you are, but a number on here are just waiting for people like Raylor to fail. If the same happened with a more liked player (possibly Saylor) or a younger player (Santon) then not as many would complain, in my opinion.

I think our back four have been outstanding, as has Tim Krul this season, and the stats reflect that. I could be wrong but I don't seem to remember Krul having too many saves to make at the weekend, despite Shiteh's domination. That's pays testament to our full team, but more specifically our back 5.

Raylor is more than a squad player at the moment, he's a key player for me, as are the other 4 in the back 5. Their performances have alone have laid the foundation for the midfield and strike force to do their thing. That's not to say anyone else has under-performed, just that this has been the bigegst factor in our success to date. The best defence in the league despite the fact we have played Shiteh, Spuds and Arsenal, not to mention tough away trips to Stoke, Wolves and the scum, says it all really.

Sorry Sifu, I don't mean to single you out...

Agree with pretty much all that, a very good post.  But, I don't see him as a key player.

The bit in bold is something I also noticed and it's a really promising sign.  We can go away to one of the best sides in Europe, manage a few decent attempts at goal ourself, whilst also limit the opposition's shots on target.  In the end, they needed two penalties and a fuck up from one of our players to get their goals.  Not saying they couldn't have stepped it up a gear if needed, but I feel it's still worth pointing out .

There's nothing wrong with his attitude or his reading of the game, but he isn't particularly strong or quick and always looks like a target for the opposition. It's not a matter of just blaming him for the City result, there's a bigger picture.

Definitely seen opposition teams targeting him.

I think he'll be looked at as the weakest link. City almost from the first minute had told their right back to get up over the half way line. They knew he was suspect. And as ou suggest any team worth their salt can and will target his position. QPR exposed him badly.

He might be vulnerable come Saturday. Santon might well get his opportunity.

There's nothing wrong with his attitude or his reading of the game, but he isn't particularly strong or quick and always looks like a target for the opposition. It's not a matter of just blaming him for the City result, there's a bigger picture.

This is a similar situation to Nolan in that his goals are blinding people to his clear deficiencies as a player. He's not a very good defender, can't carry the ball with any confidence and when he does have the ball is easy to pressure into making mistakes. A good measure of a player's quality is to ask the question if we sold him, which team would buy him?

Don't want to kill the lad off and i don't think I'd drop him.  Especially when it would mean handing Santon his full league debut away at Old Trafford!  But him playing at left back is hindering Jonas somewhat. 

He looked really fed up against Everton like, constantly covering for Raylor, he had to do it at Stoke before that and he did it again Saturday.  We are limiting him massively as an attacking player, he looks too knackered to have a go at the full back when going forward and he's always sat so deep on Raylor's toes.

His positioning and body shape were wrong for the second - something you could maybe forgive a player for, baring in mind he is arguably a midfielder and he was on his wrong side i.e. Left Back. It's probably happened a few times this season in less dangerous positions, with lower quality opposition who haven't done the ultimate damage...although that's not something I could say was 100% correct, I reckon it probably is. You're not wrong in your criticism, I just hope people don't think this justifies him being kicked out the team.

As for the first, any player that close to their own goal makes themselves as large as possible, and as hard to beat as possible. An opposition player wont be looking at the defender thinking "His arms are out let's get the penalty." They'll be thinking "f***ing hell, where do I put this" or "I'll just smack it." I don't think Raylor did a great lot wrong here, and I'm not saying you are, but a number on here are just waiting for people like Raylor to fail. If the same happened with a more liked player (possibly Saylor) or a younger player (Santon) then not as many would complain, in my opinion.

I think our back four have been outstanding, as has Tim Krul this season, and the stats reflect that. I could be wrong but I don't seem to remember Krul having too many saves to make at the weekend, despite Shiteh's domination. That's pays testament to our full team, but more specifically our back 5.

Raylor is more than a squad player at the moment, he's a key player for me, as are the other 4 in the back 5. Their performances have alone have laid the foundation for the midfield and strike force to do their thing. That's not to say anyone else has under-performed, just that this has been the bigegst factor in our success to date. The best defence in the league despite the fact we have played Shiteh, Spuds and Arsenal, not to mention tough away trips to Stoke, Wolves and the scum, says it all really.

I agree with most of what you say and the sentiment behind it, however, Ryan Taylor is certainly not a key player in this NUFC side, nor will he ever will be. He wasn't even a 'key player' in the Championship.

He's key while the team perform and get results like they have been though. However, on paper he wouldn't be...

I don't understand how the second wasn't a mistake, if you're uncertian put it in the stands. Taylor has been relatively solid this season but he's had his fair share of suspect moments, a couple of which were brutally expolited by a quality outfit. It by no means undoes his good work of the previous weeks, but Santon has to start getting a look in, sooner rather than later.

I didn't say it wasn't a mistake. Both were mistakes - but all I'm saying is that they weren't ridiculous mistakes as some people make out.

Both his mistakes were born from being unbalanced. You can't use the fact that he's a midfielder as an excuse for mistakes - he's playing left-back and the errors were made, which is why people are questioning his place in the side. Whether or not he's a defender or a midfielder has always been a grey area anyway.

That said, i still wouldn't drop him for now because of the message it would give to the player and the rest of the squad. He's earned his place on merit and doesn't deserve binning immediately after a cock-up. We've enforced that policy in the past and it's done nothing for morale. Plus i don't fancy changing the defense/slinging a new player in against away to one of the best sides in Europe.

You can use that fact, if it's not the players natural position. It was his positional sense that let him down not his touch or balance. If he was correctly positioned he would have been correctly balanced and potentially made a better first touch.

It was the lad's worst performance for us this season (well maybe QPR was worse). The penalty he gave away was stupid, why did he have his arms spread out like that? You shouldn't do that at this level. The second goal was his mistake too, such a poor touch.

For the past 11 games or so before City, he has been reasonably solid (QPR game aside), so it is harsh to drop him just like that. But his weaknesses were exploited yesterday so it may be time to ease him out of the side.

Sorry Sifu, I don't mean to single you out...

Agree with pretty much all that, a very good post.  But, I don't see him as a key player.

The bit in bold is something I also noticed and it's a really promising sign.  We can go away to one of the best sides in Europe, manage a few decent attempts at goal ourself, whilst also limit the opposition's shots on target.  In the end, they needed two penalties and a f*** up from one of our players to get their goals.  Not saying they couldn't have stepped it up a gear if needed, but I feel it's still worth pointing out .

Fair enough. I just think he currently is, based on our defensive record. That back 5 are all our key players atm.

You're right though in the rest of your post, people need to take that into deep consideration.

You can use that fact, if it's not the players natural position. It was his positional sense that let him down not his touch or balance. If he was correctly positioned he would have been correctly balanced and potentially made a better first touch.

You can't use it as an excuse for him though. It's the same as putting Demba Ba in goal and letting him off for fucking up 'cos he's out of position'.

You can't use it as an excuse for him though. It's the same as putting Demba Ba in goal and letting him off for f***ing up 'cos he's out of position'.

I would potentially let the player off, but not the manager.

If a player is out of position, and their positioning is wrong in said position, it's either down to human error, or poor coaching - I'm going to suggest it's the former based on our defensive record and if so one human error isn't enough to make him a poor defender. The same way playing in a team that has the best defensive record after 12 games in the Premier doesn't make him a world beater.

You can't use it as an excuse for him though. It's the same as putting Demba Ba in goal and letting him off for fucking up 'cos he's out of position'.

What the fuck? :lol: Certain you could let him off if that was the case. Terrible example to use.

Let's not hedge it too much....he's a mediocre defender at best who has managed to do well as a square peg in a round hole. He's neither key or a genuinely adequate long-term defensive option; as great as his application and willingness to put himself about is.

What the fuck? :lol: Certain you could let him off if that was the case. Terrible example to use.

Sigh. Understand what i'm saying.

If it isn't good for the team, you can't make excuses like "well, he's out of position".

If you're talking exclusively about the player's individual development or ability, sure, you can excuse him for the fact that he's not in his best role.

But thinking purely from a team point of view, him being out of position is irrelevant. He is there and he needs to be good.

That's why people will have a go at him for Saturday.