Ryan Taylor

Dave

I appreciate what the lad has done for us so far this season but I didn't  rate him before the season as a left back and i still don't now. Everything just seemed to work in terms of the team chemistry and defensive understanding during the unbeaten run. But without testing out Santon with the first team we can't really know if we were doing well in-spite of taylor or thanks to him.

I think long term it is still better to see how our £5m left back fairs sooner rather than later

I think it's nice that we didn't have to immediately pitch Santon into huge pressure games before he'd settled into the area and the squad, but I'd look to start him if not against Man U then certainly at home to Chelsea.

It would be "yeah, you've had an excellent season, but that's one bad game and it's time to sling your hook". Not gonna happen.

It's not one bad game though, it's the latest.

Like shite, i didn't even think he had that bad a game today. he was unlucky with the penalty and needed a shout from someone for the 2nd goal to tell him he had a man onand to just put it out for a corner. otherwise i thought he did well and was not embarrassed at all by Milner or Johnson in the 2nd half.

I think it's nice that we didn't have to immediately pitch Santon into huge pressure games before he'd settled into the area and the squad, but I'd look to start him if not against Man U then certainly at home to Chelsea.

If there was a time to throw him in then surely it was today when we were down by three.  He's played, what 15 minutes for us? Puzzling (and frustrating) that Jonas and Taylor can be so poor and he remains on the bench.

Like s****, i didn't even think he had that bad a game today. he was unlucky with the penalty and needed a shout from someone for the 2nd goal to tell him he had a man onand to just put it out for a corner. otherwise i thought he did well and was not embarrassed at all by Milner or Johnson in the 2nd half.

He stood with his arms stretched at shoulder height, how was that unlucky?  And how did he need a shout for the 2nd?  He was standing next to and facing Richards, what would a shout have told him that his eyes didn't?

Like s****, i didn't even think he had that bad a game today. he was unlucky with the penalty and needed a shout from someone for the 2nd goal to tell him he had a man onand to just put it out for a corner. otherwise i thought he did well and was not embarrassed at all by Milner or Johnson in the 2nd half.

He stood with his arms stretched at shoulder height, how was that unlucky?  And how did he need a shout for the 2nd?  He was standing next to and facing Richards, what would a shout have told him that his eyes didn't?

i thought he was unlucky to have the ball hit his hand and he thought he had more time than he did for the 2nd and needed Krul to tell to him.

I think it's very knee jerk of peopel having a go at him as he looked gutted when he came off at halftime as he had done okay otherwise and has been an integral part of what has been the best back 4 in league this season.

No way should he be dropped next week.

It would be "yeah, you've had an excellent season, but that's one bad game and it's time to sling your hook". Not gonna happen.

Like shite, i didn't even think he had that bad a game today. he was unlucky with the penalty and needed a shout from someone for the 2nd goal to tell him he had a man onand to just put it out for a corner. otherwise i thought he did well and was not embarrassed at all by Milner or Johnson in the 2nd half.

I think that's the mistake people are making, it's not about one game, a couple of mistakes or a fantastic free kick now and then. It's about whether he's good enough to be a left back for a side aiming for Europe. Is he good at snuffing out fast tricky wingers? Can he bring the ball out and move forward without conceding the ball or whacking it long under the slightest pressure? Can he overlap and link with one twos with the wide man? Would any decent team seriously want to buy him like they did with Enrique?

He's done a sterling job in an unfamiliar position and hats off to him for that, but we still need a quality left back, if it's not Santon then get someone else in January.

I think that's the mistake people are making, it's not about one game, a couple of mistakes or a fantastic free kick now and then. It's about whether he's good enough to be a left back for a side aiming for Europe. Is he good at snuffing out fast tricky wingers? Can he bring the ball out and move forward without conceding the ball or whacking it long under the slightest pressure? Can he overlap and link with one twos with the wide man? Would any decent team seriously want to buy him like they did with Enrique?

He's done a sterling job in an unfamiliar position and hats off to him for that, but we still need a quality left back, if it's not Santon then get someone else in January.

From what i've seen Santon is more right footed than Taylor.

i thought he was unlucky to have the ball hit his hand and he thought he had more time than he did for the 2nd and needed Krul to tell to him.

I think it's very knee jerk of peopel having a go at him as he looked gutted when he came off at halftime as he had done okay otherwise and has been an integral part of what has been the best back 4 in league this season.

No way should he be dropped next week.

The ball wouldn't have hit his arms if they were where they should have been, his arms being at shoulder height served no purpose at all and you'll always give away a penalty in that situation. As for Krul giving him a shout, I don't see what difference that would have made, it's not as if he had his back to goal or anything.  As for him being OK other than the two mistakes, he wasn't.  He was totally ineffective as a defender for most of the game as he was constantly by-passed by a defender who spent more time in our box than Ryan Taylor.  Richards waltzed passed him as if he wasn't on the same planet, never mind football pitch.

Just seen the pen incident again on football first. What the hell was he doing with his arms spread out like that?

His arms were already spread and the ball was whacked to him from 6 yards, it's not like he put them up deliberately to stop a goal. In most other games that would have been judged ball to hand. He's a shit footballer but he doesn't deserve to be crucified for that. The second goal however...what a fucking clown.

Just seen the pen incident again on football first. What the hell was he doing with his arms spread out like that?

http://content7.flixster.com/photo/30/78/87/3078873_gal.jpg

His arms were already spread and the ball was whacked to him from 6 yards, it's not like he put them up deliberately to stop a goal. In most other games that would have been judged ball to hand. He's a shit footballer but he doesn't deserve to be crucified for that. The second goal however...what a fucking clown.

Eh? If it wasn't to block the ball, why have his arm out? The comment about it not being given in most other games is mental IMO.