Llambias Q&A with Chronicle: OP updated with Thursday's articles

Guest neesy111

Get back in your own thread NE5.

nowt to say then ?

Just joking man, I'm pretty bored, we all know spending money improves your chances of doing well, but it's not a given, you need the right manager, the right scouts and the right amount of money but you can do well without spending massive amount if you have the right manager e.g. Moyes and Everton.

on the other hand, if you are lucky enough to get a decent manager, and it IS a lottery, and don't back him, he'll be off. Like Moyes, unless Everton are taken over or it all suddenly goes tits up for him.

When you say "do well", how well do YOU want to do ?

It's a lottery getting a good manager?

No it's a skill, not an easy one but it is definately a skill.

is it now ?

We'll see how easily Arsenal replace Wenger and ManU replace Ferguson.

Or Everton replace Moyes ..........

Even a "good manager" isn't necessarily the "right manager", which I suppose adds credence to NE5's "lottery" theory.

Bit simplistic on the whole though, as usual.

Man U will appoint a good successor to Fergie because I bet right now Fergie is invovled in identifying him and monitoring them over a decent time span.

not necessarily. But it depends what you mean by "decent". Didn't Chelsea think they appointed a worthy successor to Mourinho ? Two appointments later, and this is an owner who knows about football.

Arguably they did, unfortunately they sacked him in the summer & hired Scolari.

Scolari had never managed a club in Europe, he hadn't been involved in club management since 2001.  He was a risky appointment that most people thought would succeed based on his reputation.

nowt to say then ?

Just joking man, I'm pretty bored, we all know spending money improves your chances of doing well, but it's not a given, you need the right manager, the right scouts and the right amount of money but you can do well without spending massive amount if you have the right manager e.g. Moyes and Everton.

on the other hand, if you are lucky enough to get a decent manager, and it IS a lottery, and don't back him, he'll be off. Like Moyes, unless Everton are taken over or it all suddenly goes tits up for him.

is it now ?

Even a "good manager" isn't necessarily the "right manager", which I suppose adds credence to NE5's "lottery" theory.

Man U will appoint a good successor to Fergie because I bet right now Fergie is invovled in identifying him and monitoring them over a decent time span.

not necessarily. But it depends what you mean by "decent". Didn't Chelsea think they appointed a worthy successor to Mourinho ? Two appointments later, and this is an owner who knows about football.

I assume you mean Scolari and not Grant!

Imo Abramovich is a names man, he wanted to build a team full of superstars, or at list a large number of star names. Hence his eternal pursuit of Sheva.

In an ideal world Roman would have got Hiddink in last summer but couldn't for reasons to do with his relationship with the Russian FA, Scolari was the biggest name that he could get, iirc as many people had reservations on how well he would adapt as thought it was a great move.

Man U on the other hand will have had a time span for Fergies departure for a couple of years (as soon as he breaks Liverpools record imo) and will have been planning for it accordingly. There will be dossiers on the likes of Hughes, Bruce, Moyes, Quierroz (sp) etc etc detailing every aspect they beleve to be necessary to carry on the success of the past decade.

nowt to say then ?

is it now ?

Imo Abramovich is a names man, he wanted to build a team full of superstars, or at list a large number of star names. Hence his eternal pursuit of Sheva.

In an ideal world Roman would have got Hiddink in last summer but couldn't for reasons to do with his relationship with the Russian FA, Scolari was the biggest name that he could get, iirc as many people had reservations on how well he would adapt as thought it was a great move.

Man U on the other hand will have had a time span for Fergies departure for a couple of years (as soon as he breaks Liverpools record imo) and will have been planning for it accordingly. There will be dossiers on the likes of Hughes, Bruce, Moyes, Quierroz (sp) etc etc detailing every aspect they beleve to be necessary to carry on the success of the past decade.

Scolari is also a World Cup Winner. You don't get anything better than that.

it just proves that even the best looking CV makes it a lottery in respect that the best CV's will not succeed.

Do you think the Glaziers will go looking for an up and coming tracksuit manager or a big world name ?

It took them over almost 30 years to replace Matt Busby.

nowt to say then ?

is it now ?

The difference being that Arsenal and Man U have to replace people who have built their clubs, with huge success.

When hiring a manager, you need luck because noone is guarenteed success. However, you hire good managers and you get good results (in most cases), therefore the luckiness is minor.

We hired Robson, we had success. We hired Souness, we fell on our arse.

One was always going to be a good choice, where as one was never going to be. 

nowt to say then ?

is it now ?

it just proves that even the best looking CV makes it a lottery in respect that the best CV's will not succeed.

Do you think the Glaziers will go looking for an up and coming tracksuit manager or a big world name ?

I don't disagree one bit, would never argue that a good paper appointment = a good reality appointment. Also worth bearing in mind that had Mourinho turned Chelsea down Souness could well have been in charge of Chelsea!

I think Man U wil go foreigh fwiw, if Fergie was to leave tomorrow then maybe they would play safe. Quierroz or Mourinho I could see there, Kinnear at a push

nowt to say then ?

is it now ?

TBF, there are alot of people who thought Scolari was risky and an equal amount that believe they should not have sacked him but i agree with the sentiment. Of course it's not easy but it's not a "lottery".

nowt to say then ?

is it now ?

Scolari had never managed a club in Europe, he hadn't been involved in club management since 2001.  He was a risky appointment that most people thought would succeed based on his reputation.

I actually said the same thing in the past when people talked about Scolari as being a manager in the premiership, long before he went to chelsea ie he had not managed a club in europe and so it was very risky, but many people said because he had won a world cup and probably because he is a foreigner, nailed him on as being a certain success. Which just proves the point, that it is a lottery, its all about opinion, and even the best looking appointments can go wrong.

nowt to say then ?

is it now ?

Joe Kinnear  ;D

nowt to say then ?

is it now ?

The difference being that Arsenal and Man U have to replace people who have built their clubs, with huge success.

When hiring a manager, you need luck because noone is guarenteed success. However, you hire good managers and you get good results (in most cases), therefore the luckiness is minor.

We hired Robson, we had success. We hired Souness, we fell on our arse.

One was always going to be a good choice, where as one was never going to be. 

We also hired Dalglish, who at the time had a better record than Ferguson, and we hired Gullit who had won the FA Cup and left his team in the top 3 and the last 8 of the Champions League. Chelsea replaced him with Vialli - with no experience - and we also previously appointed Keegan, again with no experience. Where is Vialli these days ?

Lottery ? Luck ? Whats the difference, when the most nailed on can go wrong. Sir Alf Ramsey was sacked by Birmingham. Very few managers can guarantee you success. I think alex Ferguson was one, Wenger another, Brian Clough, Bill Shankly. They are very very rare.

"We inherited a mess" - check

"Dennis is fab" - check

"Mike spent <<insert another made up figure plucked from the air?>> that nobody knows about" - check

Sly digs at Keegan - check

Lies about NUSC - check

Excuses based on not knowing about football (then get some fucker who does!!) - check

Long term plans (so expect nowt) - check

What a load of s****.

That’s the strangest thing about Ashley, how can he from a sportswear retail background with a MD from a casino background (and a lawyer previously) think they can run a football club? Even though they know they have made huge mistakes, they still don’t get anyone in other than an inexperienced Dennis Wise – madness.

One positive is the academy recruitment policy, but if that’s the “5-year plan” don’t they realise that a lot less than 10% of any EPL clubs academy become any good. And what happens in the meantime?

Plenty of people have said that business is business, and it shouldn't be any different.

Which is, of course, utter bollocks, and always was utter bollocks.

How many other chairman come from football backgrounds though ? FS wasn't was he ?

When Keegan wanted to sell Andy Cole, SJH thought he was mad but backed him 'as i'm not a football man'.

He then however floated the club which ultimately caused Keegan to walk the first time, which was wrong of Keegan as he wasnt a businessman.

Goes both ways imo.

not in Ashley’s case, as he clearly knows nowt about football and nowt about the business side of football. He needs help AND soon.

Go on, indulge me, what should he be doing with the business side of football?

how wouldn’t know how to “indulge” you about the business side of football, that’s the point, neither does Ashley, or haven’t you realised that yet?

again, he needs help AND soon.

You dont know anything about the business side of football but you know Ashley is doing it wrong? How does that work then?

nowt to say then ?

is it now ?

I don't disagree one bit, would never argue that a good paper appointment = a good reality appointment. Also worth bearing in mind that had Mourinho turned Chelsea down Souness could well have been in charge of Chelsea!

I think Man U wil go foreigh fwiw, if Fergie was to leave tomorrow then maybe they would play safe. Quierroz or Mourinho I could see there, Kinnear at a push

I would say Mourinho would be a great appointment for manu, but who knows, it could all go wrong.

nowt to say then ?

is it now ?

I actually said the same thing in the past when people talked about Scolari as being a manager in the premiership, long before he went to chelsea ie he had not managed a club in europe and so it was very risky, but many people said because he had won a world cup and probably because he is a foreigner, nailed him on as being a certain success. Which just proves the point, that it is a lottery, its all about opinion, and even the best looking appointments can go wrong.

In the same way that the 'best looking players' can go wrong?

nowt to say then ?

is it now ?

I would say Mourinho would be a great appointment for manu, but who knows, it could all go wrong.

I think it will be O'neill, he's proving himself to be a top class manager and he was mooted for the job a few years back, also plays a good brand of football. Dont think Man U will ever go to a defensively minded coach, Hitzfeld would be my outise shot.

Just a few things to point out regarding NUSC.

Firstly neither the Chronicle or Journal article came about through us. I think the interviews came about because there is a general frustration amongst NUFC fans about the lack of communication, which is something NUSC has been saying, but plenty other people have as well.

Having said that Luke Edwards from the Journal was at the meeting last Wednesday and did ask for questions which he would put to Llambias.

Llambias says that there is dialogue with us and that we have monthly meetings.

To date, the only dialogue NUSC has had with anyone at NUFC was when we went up to the supporters panel meeting about 3 weeks ago. We talked about the stewarding issues and NUFC's representative was Simon Esland. It was agreed that 2 or 3 NUFC committee members would go along to supporters panel meetings from now on. But there has been no contact with Llambias, Ashley or Wise, let alone monthly meetings, If they want to talk on a monthly basis we'd be happy.

I find it strange that he finds it strange that our members pay subs. It's pretty much the norm amongst the majority of supporters clubs, and the FSF itself, and plenty of clubs and societies outside of football.

Considering we have around 800 members and are processing 6,000 enquiries when we've only been going since mid September, I don't think that's bad going.

Whether we get more credence than we deserve is for others to decide. No doubt some people will believe that's the case, and others won't. All I can say to that is that those of us who've set NUSC up are just regular NUFC supporters who have given up our spare time, and are concerned about how the club is being run and the direction in which it is being taken. It breaks our hearts to watch this happen, and we set NUSC up and have been doing what we've been doing because we love the club. There's no ulterior motives or wanting to get ourselves known on TV and radio. We want there to be a good relationship between the club and its fans.

Not sure where else to put this....

Just listening to Andrew Warshaw, journalist on Talksport and I was only kind of half listening but it sounded like there has been some big meeting in Geneva today about a quota system (I guess on foreign players) and Chelsea and Newcastle didnt have representatives there.

If anyone else heard the interview, I would happily be corrected if I didnt hear that correctly...

nothing wholly unexpected about it all, thought he came across reasonably well if a little condescending (although given the actions of some of our fans, it's to be expected).

spot on about "the NUSC" - perhaps the fog of war will start to lift from their eyes

If the NUSC weren't getting so much press coverage with their demands for communication from the club you can be sure this interview would never have happened.

Thats rubbish I'm afraid. The club had said before Xmas they would talk after the transfer window. NUSC had sweet FA to do with the interview or the future meeting. In fact I don't even know if anyone on NUSC is part of the meeting, they might be I don't know.

The club said just after christams they'd be speaking in the new year (Ashley's programme notes for the  Liverpool game).  That never happened though so Kinnear said it would be after the transfer window.  Then he said it would be the end of the season that they'd talk to supporters groups.  Now Llambias points out they're regularly talking to supporters groups.

Nobody at the club is reading from the same page.

Anyhow, why did they feel the need to break from their policy of silence, if not due to the pressure they were under?

It's been known by the people who go to the meetings it would be February for a long time. I don't care what JK said how much of what he says is true anyway

I think you're confusing meetings with fan representatives (stewarding, prices etc.) with broader communication (Club direction, transfer policy, who's running the club etc.).

Llambias hasn't even been involved with the former has he?

I think (assume) that's all Llambias is on about when he mentions the meetings with the fans. He hasn't been involved with those yet but he is in february from what I understand. Mort was included in the last lot though.

I'll not count my chickens that he will just yet, but I was on about the latter.

Would you Adam and Eve it?  I hear Llambias has only gone and cancelled his promised appearance at the February get together.

*SHOCK*

*HORROR*

Long live open dialogue and communication. mackems.gif

What a fucking joke. No surprise to see this post has been ignored though.

The Supporters panel meeting was booked to be on Thursday and would involve Llambiarse. We have now been told that "due to last weekends events Derek would not be in Newcastle and therefore could not attend".

Now what events are these? JFK being ill? us actually winning? or Derek realising the stupidity of the interview he gave?

So much for communications.

As for the NUSC discussions with the "club" they have gone as follows:

As you all know we have attempted to get a discussion going for a while and not had any sort of response not even a "fuck off".

We did get ourselves invited to a supporters panel meeting which was agreed with the club because we had a specific thing we wanted to discuss ie the problems with heavy handed stewards in Level 7. At the same time the club wanted our help (even though we're just some breakaway group not worth listening to) in finding a way to ensure people didnt stand continuously in that area,

We went to the meeting, discussed the issues and then discussed the wider issue of communications, all of this was with Simon Esland (a canny enough bloke but nobody of any real importance, more a PR type man) and (unusually for the Supporters Panel ) it turns out they werent taking minutes  :rolleyes:

At the end of it we agreed that we 3 or 4 members of the committee would be included in the supporters panel meetings from now on.

And that is it, the sum total of 1 meeting with the club, a meeting that we virtually forced through and one which frankly had nothing to do with the state of the club or the future. A specific meeting to discuss a very real non-footballing issue.

We will be putting something official together for our responses to at least the references hes made to us. Suffice to say though it will be thought out and factful not like the pile of lies and deceipt that we've just read today.

As for the supporters panel though, the thing Llambias says is more representative of the fans well my personal view is that its not worth the time of day. Thats not being disrespectful to the people on there but what Im about to say may well appear that way.......

There are around a dozen people on the panel, half of which I think I can safely say only turn up for the scran. Dont get me wrong there are some very committed and vocal fans on there, some faces and voices I recognise but I get the impression that until we went and shook it up they hadnt really had a chance to make their voices heard. I believe they were basically led into a question and answer session by the club for their own commercial gains.

Normally the stuff that gets talked about is raised by the club and generally involves questions (I shit ye not here) such as "how can we sell more pies?", "do you think people will spend more if we change the half time music?" and "can you tell your mates to drink in Shearers?"

That forum is NOT (in my personal opinion) representative of the fans, it is NOT being used to air fans views and it MOST DEFINITELY is NOT being used to discuss the future as that toad makes out in todays article.

I'm still wondering WHY it was never a possibility that Wise was sacked or left his position?!

They pay shitloads for "shit" players and expects the team to be "challenging" for all honors within 5 years, seems like a joke to me. The stars are definitively leaving this summer, so I suppose if the relegation doesn't come this season, we're definitively doomed the next?

AND LOL at the "We've made mistakes"-statement, that's so obvious they shoulda saved the ink, o m g!!!

I have a feeling Chris Mort > Derek Llimbias

http://www.newcastle-united-supporters-club.co.uk/llambias_response.php

Response to Derek Llambias interview

The NUSC has read and digested with interest the comments made by Derek Llambias in today’s Evening Chronicle.

In the interests of clarity we would like to address his comments regarding the NUSC and its relationship with the club.

“We're in dialogue with them. We have a monthly meeting and we need to get the record straight – we are in dialogue with NUSC”

NUSC has on several occasions now written directly to key figures at the club, including Derek Llambias requesting a formal meeting with the club hierarchy and urging them to communicate with their paying customers. Every single one has been ignored barring a brief acknowledgement by the club’s press officer that they had been received.

There has been no dialogue between NUSC and anyone in any position of authority at NUFC.

“We have a monthly supporter meeting where a reasonably representative group of people who represent our fans tell us what for. They have been invited to be part of that forum so there are four or five of them coming along. It’s not true that we have blanked them”

As one of our committee members is also a member of this group, NUSC, in its continued attempts to achieve dialogue with the club, politely enquired if it could send a small representation to join their most recent meeting. This was an attempt to address independent supporter concerns that had been raised with us, i.e. problems with stewarding in the Leazes corner.

To clarify NUSC invited itself to this meeting to address concerns other than those stemming from the running of the club. As a result of this positive dialogue it was agreed that a select number of NUSC representatives could attend these meetings in the future.

“Their initial approach was not in the correct tone. They are a small group and they are charging a subscription fee which was a bit strange to us”

We're slightly unsure of what tone Mr Llambias expected fans to take given the utter destruction his administration wrought upon this club in the early season.

However we must state that our approach in writing to the club directly and in attempting direct communication has always been professional and organised.

As for his comment that he finds it strange that we charge a “subscription fee”. Is this coming from the same club that introduced a “membership” scheme that provides little more benefits than being a season ticket holder used to?

"They are a small group and given more credence than they deserve"

The NUSC are a professionaly orgainsed and structured supporters group with a daily growing membership of die hard Newcastle United fans. Every single Newcastle fan deserves credence on their own. The NUSC are a credible collective voice for its members.

“They are welcome to come along to our forums. That’s fine, they are coming on February 12 and there will be four or five of them”.

This indeed appeared to be “a fact”. However within an hour of the interview going to print the club had emailed us to tell us that Derek was now unable to make the meeting and that as a result the meeting was "postponed". We hope that Derek can find the time to honour his comments soon.

“We don’t want to talk about Kevin Keegan, which is an issue they will insist on talking about. Unfortunately, that’s not what the tone is.”

Unfortunately this statement, above all, demonstrates how out of touch Derek Llambias and the entire Mike Ashley regime are with what it is fans are asking for.

Kevin Keegan, although forever a legend at this club, is past history. Our rather more pressing concern is to establish how Mike Ashley intends to “drive the club forward” and reinforce how the fans of NUFC can and need to be a significant part of it, going forward.

These (and others) are the serious questions we would like answers to, Mr Llambias. We look forward to hearing them from you in person whenever your schedule allows.

We hope "the tone" of this response meets with your acceptance.

The "challenge for everything in five years" statement is probably the most overtly ridiculous part of that article. That's really not going happen even if we somehow hit the jackpot with every and every one of our teenagers from Scandinavia/Eastern Europe.

I would have much preferred something along the lines of "we'll have NUFC financially stable in ~ years" or "we'll be able to maintain a sustainable amount of transfer spending through the clubs income alone by ~ years"

So much for communications.

As for the NUSC discussions with the "club" they have gone as follows:

As you all know we have attempted to get a discussion going for a while and not had any sort of response not even a "fuck off".

We did get ourselves invited to a supporters panel meeting which was agreed with the club because we had a specific thing we wanted to discuss ie the problems with heavy handed stewards in Level 7. At the same time the club wanted our help (even though we're just some breakaway group not worth listening to) in finding a way to ensure people didnt stand continuously in that area,

We went to the meeting, discussed the issues and then discussed the wider issue of communications, all of this was with Simon Esland (a canny enough bloke but nobody of any real importance, more a PR type man) and (unusually for the Supporters Panel ) it turns out they werent taking minutes  :rolleyes:

At the end of it we agreed that we 3 or 4 members of the committee would be included in the supporters panel meetings from now on.

And that is it, the sum total of 1 meeting with the club, a meeting that we virtually forced through and one which frankly had nothing to do with the state of the club or the future. A specific meeting to discuss a very real non-footballing issue.

quote]

From Lambarse..

WE’RE in dialogue with them. We have a monthly meeting and we need to get the record straight – we are in dialogue with NUSC.

We have a monthly supporter meeting where a reasonably representative group of people who represent our fans tell us what for.

They have been invited to be part of that forum so there are four or five of them coming along.

Its all about how you take the interview isn't it?

'We have a monthly meeting' - The supporters panel or whatever

'We have a monthly meeting' - We meet with NUSC on a monthly basis

So NUSC have had a meeting with NUFC and will be represented at this meeting going forward. That is what he says, that is what Peaspud says. Any thing else is pure spin (on Lambarse's part to appear more 'down with the kids').

LOLOLOL Dave, I love that response to mr. GAYREK! :o

Wonder if he will EVER give an official response to that shiz... btw. can't someone from NUSC actually send that response to the local papers so they can choose whether or not they will publish it alongside the continous story of mr. GAYREK?

“We don’t want to talk about Kevin Keegan, which is an issue they will insist on talking about. Unfortunately, that’s not what the tone is.”

Unfortunately this statement, above all, demonstrates how out of touch Derek Llambias and the entire Mike Ashley regime are with what it is fans are asking for.

Kevin Keegan, although forever a legend at this club, is past history. Our rather more pressing concern is to establish how Mike Ashley intends to “drive the club forward” and reinforce how the fans of NUFC can and need to be a significant part of it, going forward.

I'm sorry but that bit does not stack up to everything which NUSC has publically stood for since day one.

They want Ashley out, pure and simply there has been no 'we want to establish how he intends to take the club forward.

The rest of the response seems prety measured though, and is an improvement on past statements.

I'm sorry but that bit does not stack up to everything which NUSC has publically stood for since day one.

They want Ashley out, pure and simply there has been no 'we want to establish how he intends to take the club forward.

The rest of the response seems prety measured though, and is an improvement on past statements.

They want dialogue with the club, they always have.

Listen to the stream and the NUSC speaker there.