Conor Newton

Guest Raf

Santon will act as cover for Debuchy on the right and Haidara will come in to cover him on the left. Makes sense really, but it would halt Dummett's progression here as I can't see him getting a great amount of game time with a competition less to compete in this season.

Guest icemanblue

Santon will act as cover for Debuchy on the right and Haidara will come in to cover him on the left. Makes sense really, but it would halt Dummett's progression here as I can't see him getting a great amount of game time with a competition less to compete in this season.

Eh, what? Has there been any mention of this, at all?

Just a couple of months ago, Dummett confirmed the club wanted to send him on loan to the Championship. He was also offered only a year's extension. He must have really improved a lot if Pardew wants him to stay now.

Strange one considering he's now 21 and was never mentioned in the same breath as our other prospects.

Just a couple of months ago, Dummett confirmed the club wanted to send him on loan to the Championship. He was also offered only a year's extension. He must have really improved a lot if Pardew wants him to stay now.

Strange one considering he's now 21 and was never mentioned in the same breath as our other prospects.

Feels like a new signing.

No, I just think when Debuchy is out injured, Santon will play right back. With Ryan Taylor out injured for the season and Tavernier inexperienced, it makes sense to move Santon over from the left and just play Haidara or M'Biwa there. Can't see Dummett being given a chance at left back, he'll just be used as emergency cover.

Almost like there is a correlation between getting out of NUFC and getting a boatload of experience/games under your belt.

Not to my knowledge but it all makes logical sense.

Guest icemanblue

Aye, I've read that entirely wrong. Thought it was being suggested that Santon would primarily be backup to D'boosh, with Haidara taking his LB slot. As you were.

Guest bimpy474

Chronicle says that Milwall and Birmingham are interested in loaning him but Pards thinks he could challenge Santon

Good, sick of seeing player like Perch, Anita and others played out of position. Just give a young proper LB a try, sometimes you unearth a little gem who plays better at that standard.

How old was Seamus Coleman when he broke through? Had never heard of him until his debut and I'm sure he was 20-21?

How old was Seamus Coleman when he broke through? Had never heard of him until his debut and I'm sure he was 20-21?

Something like that, did Everton not buy him from League of Ireland though?

Aye played a fair few in Ireland but is that any better than our reserve league? Like you say though, the season in the SPL would have done wonders.

Aye played a fair few in Ireland but is that any better than our reserve league? Like you say though, the season in the SPL would have done wonders.

league 1/2 standard really but actually competitive unlike reserve games

• 3 weeks later...

Newcastle midfielder Conor Newton has decided to return to St Mirren on loan until January.

The 21-year-old played 20 times for Danny Lennon's men during a loan spell with the Buddies last season.

And despite offers from several Championship clubs in England, Newton has opted to work under Lennon and his assistant Tommy Craig again.

Newton said: "I had offers from a few clubs in the Championship but I decided to come back to St Mirren, partly because they couldn't guarantee me football.

"At this stage in my career I really need to be playing games, so I think St Mirren are the right club to come back to.

"From the gaffer Danny to his assistant Tommy Craig and the other backroom staff and the lads, they are a great bunch. I really missed that dressing room when I went back to Newcastle in the summer.

"St Mirren gave me my first shot at football and that meant a lot to me, so coming back is best for both parties."

I still don't get why we released Inman, he had a really good season last year.

We didn't release him did we? I thought we offered him a new contract and he turned it down.

Yeah, deal to Crewe likely to go to a tribunal.

• 2 weeks later...