Conor Newton

Guest Raf

• 2 weeks later...

I was at st mirrens game at Kilmarnock yesterday.  Dummy and Newton have done well up there. Newton scored 1 and made another with a pin point cross.  Seems like the st Mirren fans are sorry to lose them,  either back to the toon or loaned elsewhere.  They were singing 'toon army' and an adaptation of the coloccini song for Newton, 'I want ginger hair too'.

Interesting to see what happens to Newton, Dummet, Inman and Abeid. Can't see any of them breaking into our first team..how long can we keep loaning them out though before cashing in on them. I all for giving them another year in the Championship, SPL or even abroad, then looking at them one last time after.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/celtic-keen-newcastle-uniteds-spl-4037065

By Neil Cameron

Celtic are keen on Newcastle United’s SPL stars Dummett and Newton

1 Jun 2013 08:02

Celtic monitoring Newcastle United duo Paul Dummett and Conor Newton after a fine season on loan north of the border

Scottish Premier League champions Celtic are monitoring Newcastle duo Paul Dummett and Conor Newton.

The players’ agent, Spencer Downey, has revealed the pair, both 21, have caught the eye of Parkhead boss Neil Lennon who is looking to bolster his squad with young, keen players.

Newcastle have offered both Dummett and Newton a one-year extension after they did so well north of the border with St Mirren, with whom they won the League Cup in March.

And they want to retain the service of the two Geordies, even if it is on loan, for at least half of next season.

However, a move to Celtic, who have at least the possibility of Champions League football if they get through their qualifying matches, would surely be a temptation.

Downey said: “They both made a massive impact up in Scotland.

“St Mirren are really keen to keep them, but there has been interest from other clubs, including Celtic.

“Celtic are one of those clubs who if you do well against them, they keep an eye on you. Conor did particularly well in midfield against Victor Wanyama and Joe Ledley.

“They haven’t ruled out St Mirren yet. St Mirren have shown their desire to both players.”

There is also interest from Championship sides Bolton, Huddersfield and Doncaster, but St Mirren have been told they will not have to come up with a fee if the players decide to stay put in Scotland. Alan Pardew was impressed with the way full-back Dummett and midfielder Newton handled themselves in the SPL.

He even asked them to see him at the club’s training ground 48 hours after the final win against Hearts to congratulate them face-to-face on their success.

Left-back Dummett arrived in Scotland last summer and made 36 appearances for Saints, while Newton followed in January.

The midfielder has made 19 appearances for St Mirren and scored his first goal in senior football in the 3-2 win over Hearts at Hampden.

Dummett and Newton were in the Newcastle team that travelled to Hong Kong last week for the Citibank Sevens tournament. They lost to Leicester City in the final. Before the season ended, Newton admitted he was weighing up his options.

He said: “I haven’t accepted the deal from Newcastle yet, we’re still talking but I know that other clubs have been on to my agent.

“I owe a lot to St Mirren. It’s been a great season for me but nothing has been put down on paper about a permanent move here.

“It’s still early for me. I would like to test myself down south at some point in my career but I’ve only been playing first-team football for the past four months so I’m not naive enough to think I’m just going to walk into the side at Newcastle.

“So the next few months are crucial for my development.

“But I would love to make it at Newcastle and get a chance to play in those black-and-white stripes. It’s what every lad from the city dreams of. Right now, though, I will just bide my time.”

If the deals were agreed, Newcastle would insert a sell-on clause into their contracts to ensure they would take a share of any future transfers.

Guest Nixon

If they have any sense they'll take Celtic's offer. Chance to grow as individuals and maybe have a decent career north of the border.

Guest bimpy474

Shouldn't the thread title have Newton added to it, he's the one making most progress it would seem.

• 1 month later...

Please, please don't ruin Dummett's alleged progression by keeping him here to play back-up every now and then.

The problem for Dummett is that we have a younger full back who has played more games at a higher level who acts as backup for Santon.  Ultimately though we need four full back options and only have 3.  One of Tavernier or Dummett needs to be kept around for backup imo.