Newcastle United 0 - 0 Everton - 22/02/09 - post match reaction from page 23

Dave

Guest Chubby Jason

Got in not long ago, why was Gutierrez on the bench?

Because Calderwood is a stickler for sensible, often military haircuts.

Guest firetotheworks

I think ratings to attacking players is a bit unfair considering we were down to 10 men for half of the match.

In terms of defending I thought generally we were very good. S Taylor is much better at right back, Colo was fairly tidy. I thought Enrique was again excellent, very intelligent with his defending. Bassong was nothing short of outstanding. Its not just his defending that I love, its the way he defends, he has so much class and a certain gracefulness in the way he does it that has me drooling every time he succeeds in winning possession, which is almost every time he tries to.

Harpers distribution was woeful, and I think he knows it. Playing it up to a lone striker, especially one who is 5ft6ins just seemed completely pointless, and within seconds Everton would have the ball and be on the attack.

I have no idea what Nolan was thinking, but he it was a disgusting challenge. Shola was shit, goes without saying

Other than that everyone did what they could, and for the most part did it well.

Guest neesy111

missed opportunity cos with 11 men on the pitch we would of won the 2nd half imo, and we we're on top when nolan got himself sent off

enrique, butt and bassong we're by far our best players

shola and jonas our worst

there's alot of jonas fan's on here but he can't cross, shoot or even pass the ball and it's embarrassing that a professional footballer can't do that imo

Not a single shot on target or us?

:-[

Not even any corners or offsides!!! FFS, that's embarrassing.

Really? We usually have at least five or six when Shola plays. :lol:

The wingers were Duff and Ryan Taylor. Ryan's a full back and Duff develops legs of jelly every time he gets past the halfway line. Are you really surprised we didn't force any corners?

Not a single shot on target or us?

:-[

Not even any corners or offsides!!! FFS, that's embarrassing.

Really? We usually have at least five or six when Shola plays. :lol:

The wingers were Duff and Ryan Taylor. Ryan's a full back and Duff develops legs of jelly every time he gets past the halfway line. Are you really surprised we didn't force any corners?

Yes.

At least one bloody corner, a cannon off a defender, a shit back pass, a header over the bar.

FFS its not asking much, 1 measly corner...oh this is Newcastle, of course it is.  :doh:

Pluses for me were Bassong, S Taylor, Enrique.  First time I have seen R Taylor and to be honest I thought he was average though playing in a way which seemed to be dictated ie staying inside and allowing S Taylor to drive forward, so will reserve judgement.  Duff was rank and Ameobi, well I'm just sick and tired of seeing him, he is awful, down right awful.  Jonas was also dissapointing for once and while Butt tried his heart out, he is clearly over the hill.  Finally, Nolan, what an idiot!

Guest Chubby Jason

I thought Butt was very good to be honest. Never stopped going and even injured himself making a great block, top game in my opinion.

Nolan lost us two points imo (conjecture I know). Once they had lost Arteta we had the advantage.

Fwiw I think Arteta is brilliant and am sorry he's injured; to think we got Emre the same season...

My ratings, just got back:

Harper- 7 Some good sensible stops throughout the game but some awful kicking helped by poor headers up front.

Saylor- 8 Although the quality wasn't brilliant the attacking intent was tremendous. Worked his socks off at the back too.

Coloccini- 6.5 Out of the back four he would have been the weakest link in my opinion but hardly a bad game and grew as it went on.

Bassong- 9 The only player in black and white that won the majority of his headers. A joy at times.

Enrique- 8 Barely put a foot wrong, amazingly he was by far the most composed defender we had.

Raylor- 7 Worked brilliantly and should chip in with a few assists over a season with his set pieces.

Butt-7 I'm his biggest critic but when we had to dig our heals he stood up.

Nolan- 5 Good until he got sent off

Duff- 5 Terrible, he's forgotten how to play on the left wing.

Ameobi- 5 His performance has been described time and time again, game after game.

Lovenkrands- 6 Worked hard in the first half, despite missing a sitter, faded in the second (probably because of fitness)

Gutierrez- 6 Didn't do alot when he came on but did work hard for the cause.

Martins- 6 Gave us an extra outlet but was handicapped on his own.

Guest nufc1892

http://www.vg.no/uploaded/image/bilderigg/2009/02/22/1235329742080_712.jpg

classic tackle for how to break a leg.

fucking stupid player.

i imagine when we play barton and nolan together for sure we wont finish the games with 11 man.

Threw away any chance of winning that game with a shocking starting lineup and a shocking tackle from Nolan.

Really should have had Jonas and Martins on from the start if there was even the tiniest chance they could have managed 60 minutes each.

So for me today:

Harper: 6 Couple of decent saves but Everton didn't really test him. Kicking was pretty awful, needs to improve.

Enrique: 8 Strong as an ox, fast, and generally had a great game. OK, he's no Ronaldo with the ball at his feet but that's not his job.

Bassong: 8.5 Never put a foot wrong. Another accomplished display.

Coloccini: 7 Played OK, but definitely the shakier of the 2 DCs.

Saylor: 7 Played well, agree with those saying he looks better at DR than at DC.

Duff: 0 Did nothing, gets no marks. Rightly subbed at half-time.

Raylor: 6 for his outfield work as he's got no real pace, 8 for his threat with dead balls. 7 Overall.

Butt: 4 Jogged round a bit, looked generally out of his depth. Watching Butt play is like watching your dad get up on the dancefloor. Maybe he had the moves once, but now it's just embarrassing.

Nolan: 6 for a tidy contribution up to about 35 minutes, but then loses all 6 for being a spastic. Overall 0.

Løvenkrands: 5 Showed a good turn of pace but didn't really get involved. Plus missed a sitter.

Ameobie: 1 - Just fuck off. Please. Ambled round the pitch at what amounted to a slow jog looking totally disinterested. 6'4" yet can't win a header and is about as strong as a glass of water. I could accept all that if he scored goals but after 246 games now he's got 50. For a striker, that's shit. For a striker that offers nothing else to the team, that's simply unacceptable.

Jonas: 6 Livened things up a bit for 15 minutes, then disappeared mainly due to lack of service. Needs to work on his final ball.

Martins: 6 Again, no service other than a few long balls pumped up to him but despite being about 5'8" he still won more headers than Amadonkey.

Smith: Still looks as good now as the day he signed for us. 3.

Guest firetotheworks

Saylor/Raylor btw is f***ing gay

Just to do something even more annoying: 'FYP'

Not to mention this hilariousness: ' :kinnear: '

classic tackle for how to break a leg.

fucking stupid player.

i imagine when we play barton and nolan together for sure we wont finish the games with 11 man.

Because Nolan has been making tackles like this his whole career....

I admit it was fucking stupid but lets not go OTT and make him out to be Lee Cattermole.