Who are your favourite players who never quite made it...

Heron

Guest shearer_united

I really wanted Albert Luque to shine and score a lot of goals for the club. I could never understand why he lacked the passion.

Guest firetotheworks

I didn't really get the whole problem with Acuna to be honest.

Can anyone enlighten me? I was exiled from football a bit during that time so only used to really catch us on MOTD or The Premiership.

I didn't really get the whole problem with Acuna to be honest.

Can anyone enlighten me? I was exiled from football a bit during that time so only used to really catch us on MOTD or The Premiership.

he had a family problem so we let him go. He was never a regular player but he was competing with Gary Speed, I think he was a good player who we never saw the best of , to be honest.

If I extended outwards, Cassano, Zogbia, Kalou, Pienaar and Bendtner ( I can't see him doing it)

That doesn't make sense. 3 of those are between 20 and 23 if I recall correctly, Cassano is finally getting his act together and is himself only about 26 and Pienaar is about the same age and doing alright for a decent team.

Guest Heneage

If I extended outwards, Cassano, Zogbia, Kalou, Pienaar and Bendtner ( I can't see him doing it)

That doesn't make sense. 3 of those are between 20 and 23 if I recall correctly, Cassano is finally getting his act together and is himself only about 26 and Pienaar is about the same age and doing alright for a decent team.

I'll take each player

Cassano- Great for Bari went to Roma and considered one of Italy's brightest talents, stupidly temperamental and caused his own problems. Played just over 100 games in 5 years, so roughly 20 a season decent, but was never the talent they bought people forget he cost them €28 million Euro's for which they recouped €5m when he went to Madrid. Even at Madrid he was nothing special, and made his own problems with his bad attitude (Zoggy take note). He went to Sampdoria a mid table Serie A side and has performed at a good level, but look at what he had, and where he is, he could have been one of The Azzuri's best players in years, I was blown away watching him when he was starting out, he was Messi Esq with dribbling.

Pienaar, one of the Ajax generation, was great to watch tricky fast and had a great eye for a pass, he set up one of the best goals i've ever seen in the Champions League, he ran into the box just as you think he's going to shoot he back heels it to Chariesteas and he slots home. Moved to Dortmund and stalled, again he's ok at Everton but could have been so much more, some says its the curse of that generation, their players didn't just become great like expected.

The other 3 I give you, as they are my personal judgements on the players, just things you pick up on as a viewer, I don't think any of them will achieve the potential they had, I see Bendtner leaving Arsenal in 2-3 seasons, Zoggy god knows, and Kalou will move to Ligue 1.

NUFC has had far too many who haven't really made it...which is a reflection of the club's status over the past 40 years because the CLUB has 'never really made it' to where it should be.

Perhaps the number of player who haven't made it is the reason why the club hasn't...!

Guest KeithKettleborough

Memory not as good as it should be these days but was Acuna another to suffer when Bobby became paranoid about foreign players wanting to play for their country? I think Bellamy and of course Nobby for sure may have suffered some "punishment" for their desire to play internationals and something clicks with him wanting to play for Chile.

Shame about Acuna as think he never really let us down when Bobby did pick him

Memory not as good as it should be these days but was Acuna another to suffer when Bobby became paranoid about foreign players wanting to play for their country? I think Bellamy and of course Nobby for sure may have suffered some "punishment" for their desire to play internationals and something clicks with him wanting to play for Chile.

Shame about Acuna as think he never really let us down when Bobby did pick him

Agreed, Keith - Acuna never did let us down, and I think you've hit on something when you mention Bobby

having a down on players wanting to play for their countries ; this I found particularly hypocritical in view of the fact that he had been an international manager himself, and must have known all about the frustrations of trying to get players released for England games.

Solano in particular was the butt of his gripes about this, and of course, the whole thing ended up with us losing him for a ridiculous fee ; very annoying when you consider some of the crazy fees Bobby paid for the likes of Bassedas, Cort and Viana - not to mention Bramble..

tomasson and luque for me. Tomasson was superb in pre-season until shearer got injured and who knows how luque would have turned out had he not got that injury so early on. I fear Xisco will be another

Emre. After his freekick against the scum in one of his first games I thought we'd bought ourselves a matchwinner.

Luque. He did well everywhere but in the Prem tbh (reserves, UEFA, friendlies :lol:).

Smith.  :blush: Thought he'd forget the Manu midfield thing and find his Leeds days here.