Who are your favourite players who never quite made it...

Heron

Titus is finally doing the business now though

For how long though..

He'll never be able to eradicate the mistakes and carelessness out of his game.  Which is a shame as he does have the attributes to be a top class centre back.

well he's been their top player since August and Bruce loves him. From what i've seen Carragher's made more mistakes leading to goals this season

He's done alright but he's hardly been their top player.

not what the Wigan fans say. Done alright? look at the amount of clean sheets they've kept man, even sky are starting to acknowledge his performances

Well then who can argue with that?

Christ, where to start, eh? Way too many...

For me its got to be Viana, Emre, Woodgate and Luque. Parker as well, I guess. I loved Viana.....he'd such a sweet left foot and could've become such a star for us but it just wasnt to be.  :no:

Woody was just immense whenever he played for us, but that was the problem- he hardly played for us. If he'd been kept fit and we'd brought in another good CH, we could've won the title. Great player just a shame its turned out the way it had for the lad.

I always liked Carl Cort but the lad was just ravaged with injuries he never got a chance. Dider Domi and Alain Goma were favorites of mine as well who never set the world alight.

Others like Zogg, Smith, Kluivert, Viduka and Acuna spring to mind. Lua Lua maybe?  Steve Harper as well.

Jermaine Jenas is another who never fully blossomed for us, imo. He had such potential but turning to gay sex was the start of his downfall, imo....

I know Wor Clazza has already been mentioned, but I have to single him out as the main man for me as well. Should have been far more of a cult hero here than he has become as he was a tidy footballer with a lovely face and a great engine, who stepped into the breach when "bigger" players were missing and very rarely let us down.

Outside of him I'm struggling to come up with some off the top of my head, but would Olivier Bernard count? He was one of my favourite players when he was here, mainly due to the fact that he looked like a dog and got pole-axed in basically every game he played in - as well as being a generally sound footballer with a lethal tackle and a nice left-foot. Crying shame that greed or dodgy agents caused his career to go down the pan in such a fashion. Reduced to running a Crepe Shop on Grey Street now as well.

I'll also add my mark to the Glass shout and probably Domi as well.

take Hugo back in a second like

Agreed. Emre was like a poor mans Viana imo. Still, Emre was a very talented player on his day.

I'm still really disappointed with the way its turned out for Alan Smith. He has all the characteristics to succeed as a Newcastle player and become a bit of a 'fans favorite'. He works hard, he's a aggressive, passionate....but for some reason cant seem to play football for us. He could do it at Leeds and at times with Man Utd, so why not with us?! Maybe if he was played upfront for us from the start he might've been better.

Would any consider Nicky Butt as a contender for this thread?

take Hugo back in a second like

Agreed. Emre was like a poor mans Viana imo. Still, Emre was a very talented player on his day.

I'm still really disappointed with the way its turned out for Alan Smith. He has all the characteristics to succeed as a Newcastle player and become a bit of a 'fans favorite'. He works hard, he's a aggressive, passionate....but for some reason cant seem to play football for us. He could do it at Leeds and at times with Man Utd, so why not with us?! Maybe if he was played upfront for us from the start he might've been better.

Would any consider Nicky Butt as a contender for this thread?

I don't even think Smith actually works hard. Not anymore anyways.

Smith has the same DNA as S.Taylor, chest puffed out, heroic blocking, crunching tackle, shouting and pointing style. Smith is barely more mobile than Butt, he just stands in the centre circle and launches himself into opponents, most likely out of frustration what with being marooned in a no-man's land of a position.

I've actually forgotten how bad Smith is, although if there was ever a game he'd shine in, it'd probably be against the likes of Bolton or Stoke, where his "grit" and "industry" (note the inverted commas) would come in useful.

I do agree with what you're saying, but his performance against Arsenal (H) last season was outstanding, imo. He was easily our best player that night and gave the Arsenal CB's a tough time. Why he cant do that any more is beyond me....

When he played upfront under Keegan he was gash. If he couldnt play well then, what chance does he have succeeding under Kinnear/Houghton-Calderwood?  :(