U23s & Academy

Skirge

From .com:

"Ahead of formal confirmation of the club's released and retained list, four members of Newcastle' development squad have announced their departures from SJP:

Matty Bondswell, Kyle Crossley, Amadou Diallo, Jordan Hackett, Michael Ndiweni and Jude Smith have all taken to social media in recent days.

It's also claimed that Lucas De Bolle, Will Brown and Dylan Stephenson are leaving, along with forgotten duo Rodrigo Vilca and Kelland Watts. "

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like we're going to be extremely aggressive with our academy recruitment this year. We made some impressive moves last season and it wouldn't be a surprise to see us top it this time around, in terms of both quality and quantity. Not just at U18 level either but further down the age groups too. 

26 minutes ago, Ash said:

Sounds like we're going to be extremely aggressive with our academy recruitment this year. We made some impressive moves last season and it wouldn't be a surprise to see us top it this time around, in terms of both quality and quantity. Not just at U18 level either but further down the age groups too. 

Excellent news. We need to get the talent producing conveyer belt up and running.

I've always had a bit of a problem with players as young as 14 being snapped up by bigger clubs, especially when they have to relocate significantly for it. 

I guess players bounce around academies in their region all the time but I don't know it just feels a bit unethical buying a 14 year old

Might just be me

22 minutes ago, joeyt said:

I've always had a bit of a problem with players as young as 14 being snapped up by bigger clubs, especially when they have to relocate significantly for it. 

I guess players bounce around academies in their region all the time but I don't know it just feels a bit unethical buying a 14 year old

Might just be me

Seen the Secret Scout on Twitter discussing that lots of players are now moving before they get to 16 more frequently this summer.  Apparently, the offer of paid for education etc is being used as a carrot to dangle

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

Might just be me

Completely agree. If nothing else, fans of those clubs should have the opportunity of seeing local lads come through their ranks.

I’m still annoyed by Bobby Clarke, and that lad that left for Chelsea.

I think they brought in rules quite a few years ago so young players from abroad couldn't join academies at such a young age like Fabregas did at Arsenal

It just makes me feel very uneasy that teams are 'buying' children