Newcastle vs Arsenal Sat 21 17:30

Skirge

Not a bad idea to try to stop them dominating midfield,  wether we can get the appropriate through balls to Martins and wether Martins is going to move about are possibly concerns. Owen to come on if we need to change things. I've seen worse scenarios.

According to nufc.com the cabbage Hughton is going to play 5 in midfield and bench Owen.

Fantastic. Bring back Lovenkrands.

According to nufc.com the cabbage Hughton is going to play 5 in midfield and bench Owen.

A brave but sensible decision. If we clog Arsenal up down the centre, we've got a chance, because they don't get much from crosses.

I also liked the look of Martins and Lovenkrands down the middle.

Guest Geordiesned

How can Hughton say we hold no fear and then play 5 in midfield?! The bloke is way out of his depth!

Guest Geordiesned

A brave but sensible decision. If we clog Arsenal up down the centre, we've got a chance, because they don't get much from crosses.

I also liked the look of Martins and Lovenkrands down the middle.

The clampet will probably play Geremi in an attacking midfield role!

Guest Geordiesned

Not too fussed about a 4-5-1, I think the chances of a win are a lot less than the chances of them putting 4 past us. Goal difference is the worry for me for this game.

I honestly think there's more chance of Arsenal scoring more past us with us playing 5 in the middle than 4. If Martins plays on his own up front and is isolated and receives poor service the ball will just keep coming back at us over and over.

4-5-1 won't work imo.

They've got far too much guile and movement and we'll be delaying the inevitable. Then, once they score, it'll open the floodgates.

I'd rather we pressured their back four with the pace of Martins and Owen exploiting the space in behind.

Damage limitation is the wrong approach.

Guest ItalianMagpie

I'm afraid we have no chances with Arsenal, but IF we had one it would be with Coloccini, Geremi, Butt and Owen out, and Beye, R.Taylor, Nolan (or Guthrie: still haven't figured it out who the less worse...)and Lovenkrands in. Now we need the best quality players we have, but above all the fittest players. I hope to never see Coloccini on the pitch with our shirt on again...

What the f***? :lol:

Yep, I can't stand him anymore. I tryed to defend him after the first match (even because of the 11 millions we paid for him...), but now it's more than enough. He's a disaster, and he's contributing pretty much to our poor displaying. I'd rather like to see an Academy kid in his place, hoping that someone's going to take him off our squad next summer.

Are you really serious?, really?  His first match for us was against Manure and he did pretty well.  Since then he's had some very good games and some slightly poor games but to say he's been a disaster is just bloody mental :lol:  I'm really finding it hard to take your comments seriously.

sorry, i meant I defended him after the first matches. I agree, the first one at Man Utd was pretty good but after that he's been going from bad to worse.

He isnt a £10m defender but he didnt determine his price tag.

If he is here next season, IMO, he will come into his own.

Its moments like this, where you read the interviews of Bramble and Faye, and truly realise what a pack of angry hounds we have for fans at times. He's had 3 managers, a new language, and a club that has held the stability of paper in the wind. But screw that he's £10m for £10m you buy the perfect defender who will slot into the back. Look at Skrtl, Agger, Vidic how long did they take to adapt to this league.

Absolutely agree.

imho, our first choice defence is at least top 6 quality so to speak. It's really obvious where the problems in the first team are. Hopefully at least one of the three managers is able to spot them. For all his tactical naivety Keegan figured that up pretty quickly last season.. any defence will strugle if they're under pressure the whole time.

Anyway, as for the game, I have a weird feeling we'll go for it.. hopefully we get lucky or something because a win today can potentially save our season.

Not too fussed about a 4-5-1, I think the chances of a win are a lot less than the chances of them putting 4 past us. Goal difference is the worry for me for this game.

I honestly think there's more chance of Arsenal scoring more past us with us playing 5 in the middle than 4. If Martins plays on his own up front and is isolated and receives poor service the ball will just keep coming back at us over and over.

A centre-forward who's hit-and-miss when it comes to his hold up play up-front on his own, with a probable midfield three of Nolan, Butt & Smith to back him up...wonderful stuff.

A centre-forward who's hit-and-miss when it comes to his hold up play up-front on his own, with a probable midfield three of Nolan, Butt & Smith to back him up...wonderful stuff.

It scared the shit out of the Mancs for half and hour and we could easily have been 2-0 up!

Have you a better idea???

Be better off playing Owen instead of Smith in a 4-4-1-1 formation.

It scared the s*** out of the Mancs for half and hour and we could easily have been 2-0 up!

4-4-2 with two centre-forwards up front would be a masterstroke...

Guest Darth Toon

He's obviously banking on a similar setup as the Man Utd game, with Martins nominally up top on his own, but supported by Jonas and Lovenkrands from wide in more of a 4-3-3 when attacking.

Add in Nolan instead of Geremi and the lineup looks reasonably solid.

It's a brave decision to leave out MO - the thinking is obviously that we can't afford to be carrying someone who contributes barely nothing outside the box. Having said that, Owen remains one of our best actual footballers, so playing him an attacking midfield role a-la-KK would be another option.

Dropping Owen to go 4-5-1 doesn't concern me. Playing Smith, Butt and Geremi in that midfield 5 does concern me. They didn't do well against hull (apart from maybe Butt who helped create our goal).

playing Owen in an attacking midfield role a-la-KK would be another option.

That's what I'd do with Martins and Lovenkrands in front of him.

The second we signed Nolan 451 became our better option. We will soon realise that Nolan can't play in a 442 but he's a quality player behind a lone front man. Add that to the fact that Martins hasn't really ever gelled with anyone up front, i think this could work well for us. Without going defensive.

Guest ArseFan

Good luck today guys, i think the most likely result is a draw. Probably 1-1 again. I suspect if you keep Arshavin and Nasri quiet then you will be another team in the 'fustrated Arsenal' club. Walcott was ruled which was a big blow, this means Bendtner or Eboue will profit and make the team. Neither are high on Arsenal fans Christmas card list. I expect us to go;

Almunia

Sagna Toure Gallas Clichy

Eboue Denilson Song Nasri

Arshavin

van Persie

equally our front six could be;

Arshavin Denilson Song Nasri

Bendtner van Persie

I personally hope for the latter, maybe even with Eduardo in their who has been included in the squad but i expect him to be only on the bench. I expect a very fast paced game with probably a little controversy. I love the Toon fans and their support, i wish our fans could take a leaf out of your book. I think we have the team to win today but will be fustrated by 10 men behind i suspect, how do you guys expect Newcastle to line up?

5 hrs to go, anyone worried yet?

I was more worried about the Hull game (and rightly so, it turned out :().

This game will go either of two ways:

We'll get hammered.

We'll play well but lose anyway (see Man Utd).

It scared the s*** out of the Mancs for half and hour and we could easily have been 2-0 up!

4-4-2 with two centre-forwards up front would be a masterstroke...

Is that Martins and Owen upfront, which wouldn't work with the midfield we have, or play Shola or Carrol as a target man???

I prefer DD's idea of dropping Owen to midfield as KK did last season. Now that was a masterstroke.

Guest michaelfoster

Newcastle (from): Harper, Forster, Krul, S. Taylor, Beye, Bassong, Coloccini, Enrique, Edgar, Cacapa, Butt, Duff, R. Taylor, Gutierrez, Nolan, Lovenkrands, Geremi, Ameobi, Smith, Martins, Owen, Carroll.

Arsenal (from): Almunia, Sagna, Toure, Gallas, Clichy, Nasri, Denilson, Song, Walcott, Arshavin, Van Persie, Fabianski, Djourou, Gibbs, Vela, Bendtner, Eboue, Diaby, Silvestre