Newcastle vs Arsenal Sat 21 17:30

Skirge

Caulkin reporting it in The Times, too, usually fairly reliable when it comes to NUFC - despite the fact the title reads "Hughton drops Owen for trip to Arsenal"

Reckons we're going 4-5-1 with Nolan, Smith and Butt in the centre of the park... Lovenkrands and Jonas either side with Martins up top for a similar set-up to Man Utd (h)?

After reading that I'm going to assume:

Harper

S. Taylor

Coloccini

Bassong

Enrique

Lovenkrands

Nolan

Butt

Smith

Jonas

Martins

Bench: Krul, Beye, R. Taylor, Geremi/Guthrie, Duff, Owen, Ameobi.

Can't see Beye getting straight back in after Taylor scored last weekend and aside from that I'd expect Hughton's major dilemma will be whether to go with Lovenkrands or Duff on the opposite side to Jonas (or in the hole behind Oba with Smith pulling wide.)

Fucking hell WHEN will Butt get dropped? This is getting beyond a joke now. You just know aswell that regardless of his performance, someone like Lovenkrands will be taken off for Owen in the 2nd half.

Caulkin reporting it in The Times, too, usually fairly reliable when it comes to NUFC - despite the fact the title reads "Hughton drops Owen for trip to Arsenal"

Reckons we're going 4-5-1 with Nolan, Smith and Butt in the centre of the park... Lovenkrands and Jonas either side with Martins up top for a similar set-up to Man Utd (h)?

It's not a bad idea to go with that formation, it will make it hard for Arsenal to play through us, my only concern is if Smith ends up playing too far right. I think Geremi is a much more natural fit for the position and in a 4-5-1 he wouldn't need to get up and down the pitch as much either.

EDIT:

in fact Ryan Taylor would make much more sense, than Smith, there's a possible alternative to Geremi as well.

After reading that I'm going to assume:

Harper

S. Taylor

Coloccini

Bassong

Enrique

Lovenkrands

Nolan

Butt

Smith

Jonas

Martins

Bench: Krul, Beye, R. Taylor, Geremi/Guthrie, Duff, Owen, Ameobi.

Can't see Beye getting straight back in after Taylor scored last weekend and aside from that I'd expect Hughton's major dilemma will be whether to go with Lovenkrands or Duff on the opposite side to Jonas (or in the hole behind Oba with Smith pulling wide.)

Agree with that team, Hughton says Guthrie hasn't made the cut though, not fit enough. I hope Lovenkrands gets the nod ahead of Duff as we will need to pace to support Martins if (as the Mail & Times are reporting) we are playing 1 man upfront (which by the way, I don't think will work against a pacy Arsenal defence!).

Its amazing what a few people on here say about Coloccini like, it really is.  He's had his poor games, and he's had his good games but he's never been shocking!  Bramble and Boumsong were shocking, they actually gave teams numerous free goals.  At worst Coloccini has not prevented goals he should have done better with, but he never gifts goals to the other team.  Also at his best he looks like a really classy defender.

He's had an inconsistent first season, but he's been pretty solid overall.  Either way some people need to stop with the goldfish like memories, remember our past defenders and get some perspective for f*** sake!

Nonsense he has been consistently dreadful all season I've heard people continuously excuse him despite him costing our team what is a quite staggering amount of goals.

Surely his performance against Liverpool still sticks in people's minds no...? that 1 v 5 lost was unbearable I've been disgusted by performances at St James Park before but never have I been more disgusted at such a gutless and dismal performance in a Black and White shirt before as Coloccini put in that day at fault for the 2nd goal, 3rd and for the 4th he should of been hurled off for alone.

Quite staggering really the amount of goals he has cost us this season here just few off of that long list -

- Stoke Home 1st goal at fault turned and out paced by Ricardo Fuller... Bolton Away at fault for the only goal failed to spot the danger and come across to defend the ball in left Gardner completely free... Sunderland Home 1st goal far to deep then decided to try and play Cisse offside clueless idiot... West Brom Home at fault for 1st goal pulled to pieces by Ismeal Miller... Everton Away failed to mark his zone on the areal ball to let Falliani free to score... Fulham Away at fault for the second goal his reckless lunging tackle on Johnson gave away a easily preventable penalty... West Ham Away 1st goal at fault completely lost Craig Bellamy run I'll let him off the 2nd although arguably his fault also..  Blackburn Home dreadful marking on Santa Cruz for the second headed goal... Hull City Home at fault second goal turned by Marlon bloody King... Manchester United Home at fault for 1st goal far too tight on Wayne Rooney... West Ham Away at fault for third goal cowardly turned his back on Di Michele shot... and that isn't even all of them..................  :lol:

For me his performances away at Chelsea, Boro and Manchester United were possible his only decent or good (if your kind) performances all season and at £10 million that's not good enough.

Quite rightly ousted from the Argentinian National Squad in recent months...

Cannot stand the bloke..

You're taking the piss on that Bolton one surely, that all came from Taylor and Butt not tracking Gardner's run.

Don't bother mate, there's a minority on here who believe anything and everything is Coloccini's fault.  He costs us goals every time he fails to brilliantly stop someone from scoring on his own don't you know :lol:

Its amazing what a few people on here say about Coloccini like, it really is.  He's had his poor games, and he's had his good games but he's never been shocking!  Bramble and Boumsong were shocking, they actually gave teams numerous free goals.  At worst Coloccini has not prevented goals he should have done better with, but he never gifts goals to the other team.  Also at his best he looks like a really classy defender.

He's had an inconsistent first season, but he's been pretty solid overall.  Either way some people need to stop with the goldfish like memories, remember our past defenders and get some perspective for f*** sake!

Nonsense he has been consistently dreadful all season I've heard people continuously excuse him despite him costing our team what is a quite staggering amount of goals.

Surely his performance against Liverpool still sticks in people's minds no...? that 1 v 5 lost was unbearable I've been disgusted by performances at St James Park before but never have I been more disgusted at such a gutless and dismal performance in a Black and White shirt before as Coloccini put in that day at fault for the 2nd goal, 3rd and for the 4th he should of been hurled off for alone.

Quite staggering really the amount of goals he has cost us this season here just few off of that long list -

- Stoke Home 1st goal at fault turned and out paced by Ricardo Fuller... Bolton Away at fault for the only goal failed to spot the danger and come across to defend the ball in left Gardner completely free... Sunderland Home 1st goal far to deep then decided to try and play Cisse offside clueless idiot... West Brom Home at fault for 1st goal pulled to pieces by Ismeal Miller... Everton Away failed to mark his zone on the areal ball to let Falliani free to score... Fulham Away at fault for the second goal his reckless lunging tackle on Johnson gave away a easily preventable penalty... West Ham Away 1st goal at fault completely lost Craig Bellamy run I'll let him off the 2nd although arguably his fault also..  Blackburn Home dreadful marking on Santa Cruz for the second headed goal... Hull City Home at fault second goal turned by Marlon bloody King... Manchester United Home at fault for 1st goal far too tight on Wayne Rooney... West Ham Away at fault for third goal cowardly turned his back on Di Michele shot... and that isn't even all of them..................  :lol:

For me his performances away at Chelsea, Boro and Manchester United were possible his only decent or good (if your kind) performances all season and at £10 million that's not good enough.

Quite rightly ousted from the Argentinian National Squad in recent months...

Cannot stand the bloke..

You're taking the piss on that Bolton one surely, that all came from Taylor and Butt not tracking Gardner's run.

Don't bother mate, there's a minority on here who believe anything and everything is Coloccini's fault.  He costs us goals every time he fails to brilliantly stop someone from scoring on his own don't you know :lol:

You say that but considering the fee we paid, status of him in world football -(Argentine international rated highly) and him only having the odd good game and twice as bad he deserves the critism.  In most games he seems to be either outpaced or outmuscled more often then not.

..you say he is a scapegoat but of  all of queensburygeordie examples of goals he been at fault for, you dont even bother defending any of his attempts.

He has been in the line up the most of out of everyone(?) i believe, are you happy with his performances so far?  The fact that it is his first season is he exempt?  In the last few months has there honestly been a worst player in our team? 

Personally his display at home to Liverpool could be one of the worst games I have ever seen from a Newcastle player he was pathetic.

I'm confused by what people are saying about Coloccini. Is it because he has been generally awful, or that he isn't living up to his £10m tag? If it's the latter, how exactly do you 'live up' to the price tag, single-handedly save the day?

From what I've seen, he's had good games and bad games. Not the assured defender that Newcastle require but give him time. I fully understand why people are criticising, but if there are calls for getting rid of him (again, I don't know whether there have been or not because I haven't read THAT many comments about him), then I really wonder what the point is.

I'm confused by what people are saying about Coloccini. Is it because he has been generally awful, or that he isn't living up to his £10m tag? If it's the latter, how exactly do you 'live up' to the price tag, single-handedly save the day?

From what I've seen, he's had good games and bad games. Not the assured defender that Newcastle require but give him time. I fully understand why people are criticising, but if there are calls for getting rid of him (again, I don't know whether there have been or not because I haven't read THAT many comments about him), then I really wonder what the point is.

I think he's definitely been a bit of a disappointment that's for certain. One thing that bothers me about him is his apparent lack of urgency and his indecisiveness.

I think he's definitely been a bit of a disappointment that's for certain. One thing that bothers me about him is his apparent lack of urgency and his indecisiveness.

That could be because he's had experience playing in relatively better defences. Thus, if he is indecisive or makes a wrong choice, he knows that whilst it's not certain, there's a good chance a fellow defender has the competence/experience to recognise this quickly and bail him out. This could be higher up the pitch, and even go unnoticed, as opposed to a howling mistake.

This in-built attitude could be what's going wrong. Just an idea, anyway. If it were the case, it would certainly be an unprofessional way of approaching the game, relying on others.

Who would you pick from the current squad to remedy this situation in place of Coloccini?

That could be because he's had experience playing in relatively better defences. Thus, if he is indecisive or makes a wrong choice, he knows that whilst it's not certain, there's a good chance a fellow defender has the competence/experience to recognise this quickly and bail him out. This could be higher up the pitch, and even go unnoticed, as opposed to a howling mistake.

This in-built attitude could be what's going wrong. Just an idea, anyway. If it were the case, it would certainly be an unprofessional way of approaching the game, relying on others.

If you watch him though you'll see what I mean. For example a ball will go running away and it'll just be between him and the opposition attacker to get there. If Colo fully decides to get the ball he'll take it with ease, but he then doesn't make a decision quick enough and hesitates. Then he decides he does want to go for the ball after all. But by that time he's committed himself, but the attacker has just got there before him and nicks the ball away. Happens far too often for my liking.

Who would you pick from the current squad to remedy this situation in place of Coloccini?

I don't understand why you're asking me this, I never said we have anyone to replace him, I just commented that I'm a bit disappointed with him.

Depends who we are playing, for strong forwards id have:

Beye  Taylor  Bassong  Enrique

Colo isnt the worst but he has his off days as does Taylor really. Lets just clone Bassong.

Depends who we are playing, for strong forwards id have:

Beye   Taylor   Bassong   Enrique

Colo isnt the worst but he has his off days as does Taylor really. Lets just clone Bassong.

I don't think Taylor is particularly strong mind. Colo is suited to sweeping up really, although I'm hoping his punting it long is just tactical instructions rather than a lack of nous. Although I obviously appreciate the fact he doesn't really have many options in front of him.

You say that but considering the fee we paid, status of him in world football -(Argentine international rated highly) and him only having the odd good game and twice as bad he deserves the critism.  In most games he seems to be either outpaced or outmuscled more often then not.

..you say he is a scapegoat but of  all of queensburygeordie examples of goals he been at fault for, you dont even bother defending any of his attempts.

He has been in the line up the most of out of everyone(?) i believe, are you happy with his performances so far?  The fact that it is his first season is he exempt?  In the last few months has there honestly been a worst player in our team? 

Personally his display at home to Liverpool could be one of the worst games I have ever seen from a Newcastle player he was pathetic.

I just don't agree that he's out muscled or out paced in most games (he has been too often for my liking, but I'd hope that will improve) nor that he's only had the odd good game and twice as many bad.  I didn't say he's had a good season, but there's a big gap between not having a good season/not looking worth £10 million and being absolutely shocking or the worst player in the team.

Is there any point in arguing with his examples?, a lot of them are totally subjective, I could come out with a totally different opinion on who was to blame but for some reason I just don't see it making any difference, do you?  Has there been a worst player?, are you serious?  Ameobi?, Nicky Butt, Geremi, should I go on?  ???

A minority on here seem to think he's the worst player ever, which I can't wrap my mind around to be honest.  You're second paragraph is pretty much spot on.  He's had good games where he's looked classy and assured, and others were he's looked unsure of himself, a mixed first season, but hardly cause to hound him out.  Having said that I think most fans support him and will give him some time.

Guest Heneage

He isnt a £10m defender but he didnt determine his price tag.

If he is here next season, IMO, he will come into his own.

Its moments like this, where you read the interviews of Bramble and Faye, and truly realise what a pack of angry hounds we have for fans at times. He's had 3 managers, a new language, and a club that has held the stability of paper in the wind. But screw that he's £10m for £10m you buy the perfect defender who will slot into the back. Look at Skrtl, Agger, Vidic how long did they take to adapt to this league.

He isnt a £10m defender but he didnt determine his price tag.

If he is here next season, IMO, he will come into his own.

Its moments like this, where you read the interviews of Bramble and Faye, and truly realise what a pack of angry hounds we have for fans at times. He's had 3 managers, a new language, and a club that has held the stability of paper in the wind. But screw that he's £10m for £10m you buy the perfect defender who will slot into the back. Look at Skrtl, Agger, Vidic how long did they take to adapt to this league.

Agreed.

Skrtl hasnt fully adapted to the league yet and Agger is in and out of the Liverpool side.

Took Vidic about a season to fully adapt and now he is regarded as the best defender in the world by some.