Newcastle United 1 - 3 Arsenal - 21/03/09 - Post match reaction from page 16

Nate

Really hope people lay off Steven Taylor now - should be given man of the match already. For a season when we've been bereft of luck we deserve a 1-0 win with a goal off somebody's arse.

With the luck we've had this season, we more than deserve another David Edgar goal.

I doubt Martins would be taking that on his wrong foot if we had a proper manager there.

What has the manager got to do with that?  Martins felt more confident to take it with his right foot.  An absolutely tool of a manager would insist on him taking it with his left foot when HE obviously felt better with his right one.

I bet Hughton didn't tie up his boots properly

Owen has been missing chances much easier than the ones we have had today and when he isn't missing them he is invisible.

Why all the clamour for Owen? No thanks. Not till about 10 mins left maybe.

The two upfront have run Arsenal's defence ragged today let's give them more than a half to build on it please.

At least we look threatening today.

Had we played this pairing against Hull I doubt we would have looked so impotent.

Martins taking the penalty has been the only big mistake. He clearly lacked the confidence to do so. Should have been Nolan.

I can't believe people are suggesting we take Martins off for Owen. Fuck it, he missed a penalty in a pretty dire fashion (although, for those saying 'worst penalty ever', etc. obviously didn't watch even the Roma Arse shoot out, had the keeper gone the other way we wouldn't be having this convo) but his hold up and link play has been fucking brilliant, he's won headers, played passes and generally chased and looked alive to the cause. Lets wait and see what happens when the inevitable change takes place

Yet his shooting has been terrible. Not just the pen, either. He's had a few other chances and either fallen over or missed the target.

I don't disagree... he has been lively. But towards the end of the game, as he tires, it will have to be Martins that comes off if Owen's coming on.

Think that's a bit harsh, he's headed one off the back off Sagnas head wide and dragged a ball that was behind him just wide when under intense pressure, not exactly sitters he's missed.

Owen has been missing chances much easier than the ones we have had today and when he isn't missing them he is invisible.

The two upfront have run Arsenal's defence ragged today let's give them more than a half to build on it please.

Had we played this pairing against Hull I doubt we would have looked so impotent.

Martins taking the penalty has been the only big mistake. He clearly lacked the confidence to do so. Should have been Nolan.

What's with the paragraph structure?

That's the thing isn't it, the players for some reason insist on only turning up for matches like this, where maximum effort will still only get us a point or even none.

Then they just go to sleep completely for the winnable matches.

Guest Heneage

Martins just looks like he doesn't care. The penalty was half hearted and I'd far rather have let Nolan or Taylor take it personally. I know I sound fickle but its all well and good saying you love the club and all this, but unless you truly are busting a gut on the pitch to use another cliche then I find it hard to believe. We all self included have given Taylor stick, but that first half performance would get him into any team. He has got right in their faces and you can tell he couldn't give a flying f*** if he leaves the game with no friends on the pitch, he's there to get 3 points, he's saved us a few times and been tremendous. He's really gone up 10 fold in my estimation.

rubbish, ofcourse he cares. Are you even watching the game?

Yes, are you? Martins is hardly hussling and ambling around. Compare that with his usual running into the ground approach and you'll see what I mean.

TBF I doubt it was a conscious decision from Martins to take it with his right, he just ran at the ball and took a swing and it happened to be his right foot that made contact.

I can't believe people are suggesting we take Martins off for Owen. Fuck it, he missed a penalty in a pretty dire fashion (although, for those saying 'worst penalty ever', etc. obviously didn't watch even the Roma Arse shoot out, had the keeper gone the other way we wouldn't be having this convo) but his hold up and link play has been fucking brilliant, he's won headers, played passes and generally chased and looked alive to the cause. Lets wait and see what happens when the inevitable change takes place

:thup: best 45 minutes of attacking linkplay and movement so far this season tbh.

mind you the two misses from the pair of them were downright embarrasing.

I doubt Martins would be taking that on his wrong foot if we had a proper manager there.

What has the manager got to do with that?  Martins felt more confident to take it with his right foot.  An absolutely tool of a manager would insist on him taking it with his left foot when HE obviously felt better with his right one.

Only a fucking idiot takes a penalty on his wrong foot and any decent manager should be dropping him for that.

Nolan has been really good by the way.

Has made a huge difference to the midfield.

Having actual central midfielders is such a good feeling.

Had two of Nolan/Guthrie/Barton been available for the majority of the season, we wouldn't even be worried about relegation.

Only a f***ing idiot takes a penalty on his wrong foot and any decent manager should be dropping him for that.

The manager doesnt tell players how they MUST take penalties its all down to the player, Martins felt more confident on his right.  There is nothing no manager can do about that, its hardly like he was showing off/didn't want to score.  I have no reason why he took it way he did, but if he felt more likely he will score...  I won't blame him.