Newcastle United 1 - 3 Arsenal - 21/03/09 - Post match reaction from page 16

Nate

Attacking unit has been alright, but we haven't got a goalscorer in that bunch.

Defense looks like a disaster waiting to happen except for Steven Taylor who is looking (I hate myself for even using this expression) "John Terry-esque."

Ryan Taylor - Jonas, Owen - Martins would be my subs.

I'm not just being wise after the event here - Martins is not a reliable striker of the ball and shouldn't be taking penalties. It looks like he's taking them because he's the one who's most eager to score.

If he has to take them, he should blast the ball, not try to place it with his weaker foot.

Agreed. I've never been confident of his penalty taking, he just wants to have them because he's a greedy bastard.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I'd honestly fine Martins this week's wages at the very least for that. What a fucking pisstake. The most important pen of our season perhaps and he taps it with his wrong foot. The guy's a joke.

jona for ryan taylor at half time and possible owen for martins later one but martins is quite crucial to the way were playing at the moment and just needs a goal to get his confidence back. shocking penalty tho

Martins just looks like he doesn't care. The penalty was half hearted and I'd far rather have let Nolan or Taylor take it personally. I know I sound fickle but its all well and good saying you love the club and all this, but unless you truly are busting a gut on the pitch to use another cliche then I find it hard to believe. We all self included have given Taylor stick, but that first half performance would get him into any team. He has got right in their faces and you can tell he couldn't give a flying f*** if he leaves the game with no friends on the pitch, he's there to get 3 points, he's saved us a few times and been tremendous. He's really gone up 10 fold in my estimation.

I just can't get the thought out of my mind. If we go down, he gets off scot free with a big money move to whatever club after having had the time of his life up here for three years getting all girls and booze he could want.

I love him as a player but it's hard not to resent him with the lack of fight he's been showing as of late.

Guest Heneage

I think that signals the end of Owen.  The difference is f***ing great by having one more mobile player upfront.

Hard to agree or disagree. A cynic would say Owen scores you the penalty and you go in 1-0 up with 45 minutes to hold them back. Right now we are now better or worse.

I'd honestly fine Martins this week's wages at the very least for that. What a fucking pisstake. The most important pen of our season perhaps and he taps it with his wrong foot. The guy's a joke.

Aye why the fuck did he take it on his right??

Guest justin99.

Martins just looks like he doesn't care. The penalty was half hearted and I'd far rather have let Nolan or Taylor take it personally. I know I sound fickle but its all well and good saying you love the club and all this, but unless you truly are busting a gut on the pitch to use another cliche then I find it hard to believe. We all self included have given Taylor stick, but that first half performance would get him into any team. He has got right in their faces and you can tell he couldn't give a flying f*** if he leaves the game with no friends on the pitch, he's there to get 3 points, he's saved us a few times and been tremendous. He's really gone up 10 fold in my estimation.

rubbish, ofcourse he cares. Are you even watching the game?

I think that signals the end of Owen.  The difference is f***ing great by having one more mobile player upfront.

Hard to agree or disagree. A cynic would say Owen scores you the penalty and you go in 1-0 up with 45 minutes to hold them back. Right now we are now better or worse.

Owen and penalties don't mix either, mind.

I just can't get the thought out of my mind. If we go down, he gets a big money move to whatever club after having had the time of his life up here for three years getting all girls and booze he could want.

I love him as a player but it's hard not to resent him with the lack of fight he's been showing as of late.

Go to bed and sober up will you..?

I'd honestly fine Martins this week's wages at the very least for that. What a f***ing pisstake. The most important pen of our season perhaps and he taps it with his wrong foot. The guy's a joke.

I've seen him take pens with his right before, and hes burried them.

I'm not just being wise after the event here - Martins is not a reliable striker of the ball and shouldn't be taking penalties. It looks like he's taking them because he's the one who's most eager to score.

If he has to take them, he should blast the ball, not try to place it with his weaker foot.

did u see the pen he took with his left against eveton :) blasted that one and it was possibly worse than todays

I can't believe people are suggesting we take Martins off for Owen. Fuck it, he missed a penalty in a pretty dire fashion (although, for those saying 'worst penalty ever', etc. obviously didn't watch even the Roma Arse shoot out, had the keeper gone the other way we wouldn't be having this convo) but his hold up and link play has been fucking brilliant, he's won headers, played passes and generally chased and looked alive to the cause. Lets wait and see what happens when the inevitable change takes place

Guest Heneage

I just can't get the thought out of my mind. If we go down, he gets a big money move to whatever club after having had the time of his life up here for three years getting all girls and booze he could want.

Apologies for DP, but I have to agree. I love Martins, he seems a nice guy, he poses for photos signs autographs all of that, but the true test of a player is when we need you the most, its not 3-1 up at White Hart Lane. Martins speed explosive nature and passion are his best assets, things we really need right now. The fact he's been playing poorly yet still set up Lovenkrands shows how much of a good player he can be.

To harp back to Taylor, the pressure on him lately he has performed nigh out of skin, he's been the only one not making mistakes he's been getting us goals playing with passion the lot, you can't ask much more of the guy. But players like Owen, Martins, the ones who really come in for far less flack from fans, haven't performed.

did u see the pen he took with his left against eveton :) blasted that one and it was possibly worse than todays

"confidence" players like Oba just shouldn't be taking pens period.

Nolan would have been the sane choice. (assuming this was instructions from the coaching staff and not Martins just wanting it)

Is it just me, or was it Dave who was shown shouting his arse off in the beginning of this match when they showed some of the fans? Then again I guess it could've been any short bald-ish fan.

Anyways, we've had our good half now. So obviously we'll be shite and get raped by arsehaven in the second half. :(

Well like I said, he shouldn't be taking pens at all, but power rather than accuracy is his strength.

Guest LucaAltieri

I can't believe people are suggesting we take Martins off for Owen. Fuck it, he missed a penalty in a pretty dire fashion (although, for those saying 'worst penalty ever', etc. obviously didn't watch even the Roma Arse shoot out, had the keeper gone the other way we wouldn't be having this convo) but his hold up and link play has been fucking brilliant, he's won headers, played passes and generally chased and looked alive to the cause. Lets wait and see what happens when the inevitable change takes place

Yet his shooting has been terrible. Not just the pen, either. He's had a few other chances and either fallen over or missed the target.

I don't disagree... he has been lively. But towards the end of the game, as he tires, it will have to be Martins that comes off if Owen's coming on.