Hillsborough disaster

Big Geordie

Such a shocking, sad read. Its just so sad. I had no idea how much post-disaster trauma its caused people. More than 96 lives have been taken away.....much more.

I wasn't alive at the time but even watching it on TV must have been distressing. I had a lump in my throat just from reading it....

The police in attendance that day should be utterly ashamed of themselves. Sadly, I cant imagine their living with as much trauma as the victims. It wasn't terracing that caused this, it was pathetic policing and organising.

Guest toonlass

that documentary that was made with Christopher Ecclestone is well worth a watch for anyone thats not seen it btw

That was brilliant, made me cry like a baby

terrible for those involved but have any liverpool fans accepted their part in the situation ?. it was known and bragged about by liverpool fans to storm gates across europe to gain access to grounds.

No. Never seen a liverpool fan accept responsibility for anything. They pin the blame for everything onto others.

i read an excellent book a few years ago called HILLSBOROUGH the Truth.  Think it was by paul scraton,  really good read.  I don't know why cos i really don't like Liverpool or there supporters but for some reason i always pay a visit to the memorial at Anfield when we play them, maybe cos a few months earlier it could easily have been Newcastle fans dying on an overcrowded terrace when we were at White Hart Lane.

What happened at Spurs? Sorry, wasnt old enough.

we palyed spurs in the 5th round of the cup (i think it was) and how a sim ilar thing didn't happen is beyond me.

can't remember if it was all ticket (i had a ticket for the seats).

It wasn't all ticket as i paid £4 cash to get in and was pulled out by a copper during the first half after being crushed against a barrier. Saw little of the game at all and spent the second half at the very back hanging onto the fence on the front of the seats above.

That's a horrific read :(

I still can't believe this ever happened, yet it feels like only a few years ago.

What I've never really understood (having been in massive crowds) is what the people at the back were actually thinking or doing. Were they being crushed at the back too? Sorry if that's a really naive question...

Guest toonlass

Are you therefore saying that Liverpool fans were to blame for what happened at Hillsborough?

I'm saying that along with the Police they should accept some of the responsibility.

Eh? For being herded into overcrowded pens, inadvertantly crushing their fellow fans and being ignored by the police when they screamed for help?

Are you therefore saying that Liverpool fans were to blame for what happened at Hillsborough?

I'm saying that along with the Police they should accept some of the responsibility.

Eh? For being herded into overcrowded pens, inadvertantly crushing their fellow fans and being ignored by the police when they screamed for help?

To be fair, a hell of a lot of people have made reference to Liverpool fans storming gates to get into games. I wish we just knew all of the facts, which we clearly never will.

Guest Mucky01

St James’ Park was dangerous at times for the home fans.

The Gallowgate at Keegans 1st match against QPR being the worst — both before and during. Why that wasn’t all ticket was always suspicious, if not insanity.

The Strawberry corner at big matches was always dodgy safety wise.

Those comments in the article about the police at Hillsbrough are apalling, but yet unsurprising if you can remember those years.

i read an excellent book a few years ago called HILLSBOROUGH the Truth.  Think it was by paul scraton,  really good read.  I don't know why cos i really don't like Liverpool or there supporters but for some reason i always pay a visit to the memorial at Anfield when we play them, maybe cos a few months earlier it could easily have been Newcastle fans dying on an overcrowded terrace when we were at White Hart Lane.

What happened at Spurs? Sorry, wasnt old enough.

we palyed spurs in the 5th round of the cup (i think it was) and how a sim ilar thing didn't happen is beyond me.

can't remember if it was all ticket (i had a ticket for the seats).

I had to stand on top of a fence to watch that match, thhe whole fence had fans along it, just hanging on to watch. it was packed, went with my dad, but lost him in the shoving, seem to remember, a barrier comming down,+ the corner that was kept clear for segregation being opened to toon fans, as they were paying on the gates. over 12000 crammed into the away end.

The spurs fans in the shelf, were throwing the bolts out of the seats at us.

The Gallowgate at Keegans 1st match against QPR being the worst — both before and during. Why that wasn’t all ticket was always suspicious, if not insanity.

Those comments in the article about the police at Hillsbrough are apalling, but yet unsurprising if you can remember those years.

I watched that game while hanging on to the advertising boards in the "Scoreboard" end at the Gallowgate, from where my forum name arose. It was absolutely chocka in the ground on that fantastic day.

I watched that game while hanging on to the advertising boards in the "Scoreboard" end at the Gallowgate, from where my forum name arose. It was absolutely chocka in the ground on that fantastic day.

I watched it from the Leazes,after being unable to get in the gallowgate, someone shouted theres space in the benches, we ran up, and ended in the leazes.

after that tho, i watched the rest of the Keegan seasons from the centre paddock , hence my forum name, it was my first season ticket, £20.

Incidentally, i took my daughter, to her first match, against stoke last season, when Keegan was announced,...she was the same age i was in 1982, and we stood in exactly the same place to queue, im not kidding, exactly the same place,.. and i shed a little tear,.. not sure if it was for my daughters first match , or KK returning,.. both probably. :weep:

St James Park was dangerous at times for the home fans.

The Gallowgate at Keegans 1st match against QPR being the worst both before and during. Why that wasnt all ticket was always suspicious, if not insanity.

I watched it from the Leazes,after being unable to get in the gallowgate, someone shouted theres space in the benches, we ran up, and ended in the leazes.

after that tho, i watched the rest of the Keegan seasons from the centre paddock , hence my forum name, it was my first season ticket, £20.

Incidentally, i took my daughter, to her first match, against stoke last season, when Keegan was announced,...she was the same age i was in 1982, and we stood in exactly the same place to queue, im not kidding, exactly the same place,.. and i shed a little tear,.. not sure if it was for my daughters first match , or KK returning,.. both probably. :weep:

:(

for regularly up and down the country getting someone in then having them open a gate, rushing any doors/gates that they could open etc. they were famous for doing it throughout europe. i saw a big pushing match with liverpool fans and newcastle coppers mid 70's trying to get in the strawberry corner gate.

remember the scenes from wembley for the mersyside fa cup final of ticketless fans scaling fernces etc, climbing in windows in the twin towers to get in

No-one ever says it but I can remember the police at Hillsborough that day forming a cordon across the park because they thought the Liverpool fans were going to start a pitch invasion (this was on the telly - I wasn't there). They were either on horseback or had dogs, can't remember. So they stood there whilst people died, they were also shoving people back in because they were trying to stop this mythical pitch invasion. But that's never said either.

And wasn't the reason the fans kept coming in that they were directed that way? They just kept being told to go into the centre and they just kept piling in. I think to blame them is extremely insensitive, not to say clueless when you don't even know what happened. Try to think what it would be like if it was one of your family? Would you like oiks on the Liverpool board discussing how it was your fault?

The police were always obsessed with pitch invasions, everyone forgets that before Stewards we had Police in their place. Didn't everyone say it was a cheap way for them to watch the match?