Bruce will not manage NUFC while Ashley is in charge - Whelan

Guest sicko2ndbest

Dave Whelan, the Wigan Athletic chairman, accused Mike Ashley, the Newcastle United owner, of having “no class” yesterday

Pot-Kettle :lol:

Ever named a stadium after yourself Davo?

Steve Bruce admits he does not know if he will be given the chance again to manage Newcastle.

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan claimed there was ‘no chance’ that Bruce, who turned down the Magpies job four years ago when he was the manager of Birmingham, would consider taking over the Tyneside club.

Even by their own tumultuous standards, Newcastle are a club in crisis, with the third-from-bottom team apparently leaderless during the convalescence of Joe Kinnear.

“Everyone associates me with Manchester United, and rightly so, but when it’s in you, it’s in you. I’m a Geordie after all,” Bruce told the Daily Mail.

“I turned it down four years ago. It was the hardest decision. I just felt I had to be loyal to Birmingham at the time. Whether it will come around again, I don’t know.

“However, I thoroughly enjoy what I do here. I’m not in charge of that situation. It’s just speculation. I’m preparing here for pre-season.”

Bruce’s commitment to Wigan remains total, however, and an unlikely qualification for next season’s Europa League is his priority.

“We have a chance. Five of our last eight games are against teams in the bottom half of the table, so we can get something out of them," said Bruce.

“We have also got Everton, Arsenal and Man United, so it is a slim one.

“But for the last 12 months, the results have been good. It isn’t a fluke that we are there.”

why has whelan came out with these comments? Seems a bit random. Sounds like bruce wants it. I bet Bruce will be the next newcastle manager. Wonder what the odds are.

Steve Bruce admits he does not know if he will be given the chance again to manage Newcastle.

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan claimed there was no chance that Bruce, who turned down the Magpies job four years ago when he was the manager of Birmingham, would consider taking over the Tyneside club.

Even by their own tumultuous standards, Newcastle are a club in crisis, with the third-from-bottom team apparently leaderless during the convalescence of Joe Kinnear.

Everyone associates me with Manchester United, and rightly so, but when its in you, its in you. Im a Geordie after all, Bruce told the Daily Mail.

I turned it down four years ago. It was the hardest decision. I just felt I had to be loyal to Birmingham at the time. Whether it will come around again, I dont know.

However, I thoroughly enjoy what I do here. Im not in charge of that situation. Its just speculation. Im preparing here for pre-season.

Bruces commitment to Wigan remains total, however, and an unlikely qualification for next seasons Europa League is his priority.

We have a chance. Five of our last eight games are against teams in the bottom half of the table, so we can get something out of them," said Bruce.

We have also got Everton, Arsenal and Man United, so it is a slim one.

But for the last 12 months, the results have been good. It isnt a fluke that we are there.

Seems like the Mail has cobbled together two quotes from different dates to try and make a story. Personally, I think Bruce would come IF we avoid relegation. A big if at the moment.

Definetly sounds like he wants it!

Off the back of DW's comments he should have been further distancing himself from it but really hasnt with comments such as 'if its in you, its in you!'

As an earler post said, this sort of petty gripe with DW is likely to make fat mike act now and move for Brucie, rather than our actual state of affais on the pitch.

As sad as that is, I just hope its true.

Get him in Mike, sound investment and piss off that old slabber in Wigan!

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan claimed there was no chance that Bruce, who turned down the Magpies job four years ago when he was the manager of Birmingham, would consider taking over the Tyneside club.

Everyone associates me with Manchester United, and rightly so, but when its in you, its in you. Im a Geordie after all, Bruce told the Daily Mail.

I turned it down four years ago. It was the hardest decision. I just felt I had to be loyal to Birmingham at the time. Whether it will come around again, I dont know.

However, I thoroughly enjoy what I do here. Im not in charge of that situation. Its just speculation. Im preparing here for pre-season.

Bruces commitment to Wigan remains total, however, and an unlikely qualification for next seasons Europa League is his priority.

We have a chance. Five of our last eight games are against teams in the bottom half of the table, so we can get something out of them," said Bruce.

But for the last 12 months, the results have been good. It isnt a fluke that we are there.

Seems like the Mail has cobbled together two quotes from different dates to try and make a story. Personally, I think Bruce would come IF we avoid relegation. A big if at the moment.

I think they are freh comments. By preparing for preseason he will mean arranging friendlies etc.

Shows just how far we have dropped now that Bruce is looking like a good option. :(

Guest Mucky01

Arsene Wenger deserves a load of credit for Steve Bruce’s success, how many players has Arsenal loaned to Bruce over the years and how many players has he advised him to sign from diverse parts of the world?

Arsene Wenger deserves a load of credit for Steve Bruce’s success, how many players has Arsenal loaned to Bruce over the years and how many players has he advised him to sign from diverse parts of the world?

1?

edit: was thinking just wigan, 2 loans at brum as well iirc (both of which he subsequently signed permanently?) - don't see why Wenger deserves the credit for those.

Guest Brummiemag

Can't imagine Bruce or any other decent manager coming to Newcastle while Ashley is in charge and Wise is making player decisions. Thats why we've got Joe Kinnear!

Can't imagine Bruce or any other decent manager coming to Newcastle while Ashley is in charge and Wise is making player decisions. Thats why we've got Joe Kinnear!

If Bruce was ever going to distance himself from Newcastle now would have been the perfect time with us in real danger of relegation. The fact he is still wondering if the chance will ever come again in public suggests to me that he's very much interested if we don't get relegated.

For those who think he won't work under Ashley, let's not forget he's working under possibly the biggest cunt of all in Dave Whelan and at a far shitter club.

Any offence to Wigan fans purely intentional.

If Bruce was ever going to distance himself from Newcastle now would have been the perfect time with us in real danger of relegation. The fact he is still wondering if the chance will ever come again in public suggests to me that he's very much interested if we don't get relegated.

For those who think he won't work under Ashley, let's not forget he's working under possibly the biggest cunt of all in Dave Whelan and at a far shitter club.

Any offence to Wigan fans purely intentional.

Bruce has carte blanche to do what he likes in terms of players and set up at Wigan, unless the system changes he won't here. Bruce has shown he is probably better than Wise at Wises role too with some of the lesser known foreigners he's picked up (Palacios, Figueroa,Zaki,Scharner etc)

I think they are freh comments. By preparing for preseason he will mean arranging friendlies etc.

Shows just how far we have dropped now that Bruce is looking like a good option. :(

Whilst everyone will agree in part, Bruce has also proved over the past 12 months that he is a better manger than he was 4 years ago, so there is a bit of pull and bit of push to thinking he is a decent option now

Whilst everyone will agree in part, Bruce has also proved over the past 12 months that he is a better manger than he was 4 years ago, so there is a bit of pull and bit of push to thinking he is a decent option now

Definitely. Whilst they are not always brilliant to watch Wigan are a very effective team who play to their strengths well. Even more so considering they lost 2 parts of the backbone of their team in Jan.

Sounds like he's begging for it tbh.

Fucking appoint him. Complete stability and potential domestic success is staring us right in the face here. Really wish the board would get their fucking act together.

Source: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=631361&sec=england&cc=4716

Wigan owner Dave Whelan claims his Newcastle counterpart Mike Ashley has driven the north-east club to the brink of relegation from the Premier League.

Kevin Keegan's departure at the start of the season prompted angry criticism from Magpies fans, the venom of which prompted Ashley to seek a buyer for the club.

Ashley stayed away from the club as efforts to sell up proved fruitless. While he has since returned to matches, Ashley finds the club staring down the barrel of relegation, two points from safety with eight games left to play.

It is a situation Whelan believes is down to Ashley himself.

"When I first went there just after Mike Ashley had bought it he turned up in the boardroom in a pair of jeans, a pair of trainers and a replica shirt," Whelan said.

"Immediately he did that, the club's gone.

"You don't do things like that in football. He's got no class whatsoever.

"He's representing Newcastle United who were such a proud club.

"I immediately knew the supporters may want to have a pint with him on the terraces but basically he was not Newcastle through and through. The Newcastle fans know that.

"You can't get a Tottenham fan buying Newcastle and letting people thinks he supports them.

"It's not right, there's no pride left in the club.

"I think he's got what he deserved. You don't go into a football club as big and proud as that and lower the standards."

Ashley and Whelan have been involved in a dispute over business matters.

Whelan has accused Ashley, who owns the Sports Direct retail chain, of risking 12,000 jobs by trying to push JJB Sports - the company Whelan set up in the 1970s and sold in 2007 - into administration.

Critique and comment?

Source: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=631361&sec=england&cc=4716

Wigan owner Dave Whelan claims his Newcastle counterpart Mike Ashley has driven the north-east club to the brink of relegation from the Premier League.

Kevin Keegan's departure at the start of the season prompted angry criticism from Magpies fans, the venom of which prompted Ashley to seek a buyer for the club.

Ashley stayed away from the club as efforts to sell up proved fruitless. While he has since returned to matches, Ashley finds the club staring down the barrel of relegation, two points from safety with eight games left to play.

It is a situation Whelan believes is down to Ashley himself.

"When I first went there just after Mike Ashley had bought it he turned up in the boardroom in a pair of jeans, a pair of trainers and a replica shirt," Whelan said.

"Immediately he did that, the club's gone.

"You don't do things like that in football. He's got no class whatsoever.

"He's representing Newcastle United who were such a proud club.

"I immediately knew the supporters may want to have a pint with him on the terraces but basically he was not Newcastle through and through. The Newcastle fans know that.

"You can't get a Tottenham fan buying Newcastle and letting people thinks he supports them.

"It's not right, there's no pride left in the club.

"I think he's got what he deserved. You don't go into a football club as big and proud as that and lower the standards."

Ashley and Whelan have been involved in a dispute over business matters.

Whelan has accused Ashley, who owns the Sports Direct retail chain, of risking 12,000 jobs by trying to push JJB Sports - the company Whelan set up in the 1970s and sold in 2007 - into administration.

Critique and comment?

Where did you find this!?!?!?!?!?!