Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

Without knowing for sure the mind of the Shearer, he is saying it because it would be a breach of contract, and he would lose his BBC job which he may want to go back to, if we go down or the right terms aren't met with NUFC in the future.

I do wish people would not mention Sven in the same sentence as anything related to Newcastle United. How many epic fails does one man have to achieve before he is never mentioned again with regards to the Toon job? If money is available to be spent, let Shearer or someone who is more suited for us spend it. We need someone who will unite the fans, not divide them anyway.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Shearer plea for long-term funds  5/04/2009

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley will have to find £40million to keep Alan Shearer at St James' Park.

The Sunday Mirror has learned the price of securing Shearer (below) on a long-term deal is around £16million for a four-year contract plus a minimum of £25million for new signings.

His eight-game reign started with yesterday's 2-0 defeat by Chelsea.

Shearer's top challenge is avoiding relegation.

NEWCASTLE OPT FOR MAGIC BEANS   

NEWCASTLE United today pinned their hopes on a bag of magic beans bought on the way to market.

The relegation threatened club said the beans had been acquired in exchange for an old cow in a deal worth some beans and a cow.

Newcastle fans were ecstatic at the return of the bag of beans which spent 10 glorious years sitting on the opposition goal line at St James's Park.

The beans will now be thrown out of a window in a last-ditch bid to keep the Magpies in the top flight.

Bill McKay, vice-chairman of the Toon Army supporters club, said: "Why waste money on an experienced manager with a good track record who knows how to get the best out of an unremarkable squad when you can just some chuck some magic beans into the garden and see what happens next?

"After years of disappointment and instability, Newcastle fans can now look forward to a period of beanstalks, stolen geese, thwarted, bread-making giants and an unlimited supply of big, shiny golden eggs."

But Charlie Reeves, football analyst at Donnelly-McPartlin, said: "It's a bold move. The only obstacle I can foresee is that while magic beans have been known to work, their success is limited exclusively to children's fairytales.

"The problem is that the Premier League is very real and, unfortunately for Newcastle, a bag of magic beans is not going to work just because they really, really want it to."

Source

My biggest worry with Shearer he'll tend use his old pals in Owen and Butt even if they a playing like shit. If the reports in the papers were true then I would have liked it if they could have gotten Houllier with his vast experience.

Newcastle United boss Alan Shearer has apologised for his effing-ridden debut in their defeat to Chelsea on Saturday.

From the Press box you could hear him swearing about squandered chances, stray passes and dodgy decisions. “What the f***” was the manager’s phrase of the day. If only he could have put his boots on and gone on the field.

“Put my boots on?”, he laughed, “have you seen the speed at which John Terry runs away? And have you seen my knees?

“But, yes, you’re kicking every ball. I apologise for my language but I’m probably not the only one this season! It’s very frustrating.”

http://www.tribalfootball.com/shearer-apologises-effing-littered-newcastle-debut-236891

:lol:

Dosen't say much about the atmosphere, though

There wasn't enough time against Chelsea and Alan and his assistants would have learnt a lot from the Chelsea game. I expect to see the first inklings of their plans against Stoke.

There wasn't enough time against Chelsea and Alan and his assistants would have learnt a lot from the Chelsea game. I expect to see the first inklings of their plans against Stoke.

Hopefully they have learned that taking Oba off completely removes any goal threat we may possess. Hopefully they've also realized that Jonas shouldn't be on the wing. Hopefully they've also realized that if they want to play Owen they need to shift to 4-3-3.

Hopefully they have learned that taking Oba off completely removes any goal threat we may possess. Hopefully they've also realized that Jonas shouldn't be on the wing. Hopefully they've also realized that if they want to play Owen they need to shift to 4-3-3.

Agree with dropping Jonas on the wing he needs to be behind the front two slipping his balls in!   

and out!

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/columnists/alan-green/alan-green-shear-will-can-keep-newcastle-up-14260415.html

Alan Green: Shear will can keep Newcastle up

Monday, 6 April 2009

The ‘Alan Shearer bubble' didn't burst on Saturday afternoon on Tyneside nor were Newcastle's hopes of avoiding relegation extinguished.

All that happened was that an obviously superior Chelsea side won a match they were overwhelmingly expected to.

And no-one will persuade me that Geordie prospects aren't a whole brighter this morning than they were this time last week.

Within moments of Shearer being confirmed as ‘temporary' manager of Newcastle - for now we must accept that is his intention - I had a caller to ‘6-0-6' insisting that the former England captain was merely trying to increase his public profile.

He was a Spurs' fan and was probably reacting out of misguided loyalty to the former Tottenham employee Chris Hughton who has been acting as Joe Kinnear's stand-in.

I judged it an excessively cynical view of what I see as a straightforward relationship. Alan Shearer is simply in love with Newcastle United, its fans and the city.

If he'd been merely pushing himself then he'd probably have taken the role on back in November.

He insists that he was never actually offered the job then but, had he shown the slightest encouragement, it was surely his to take.

No, I remain convinced that Shearer has stepped in out of sheer desperation.

Watching from the ‘Match Of The Day' sofa didn't make viewing any more palatable.

It hurt to see Newcastle not merely flirting with relegation but becoming one of the favourites to go down.

You can't tell me he's suddenly started to like the regime of Mike Ashley. Who in their right mind would? And, at least, he patently insisted that one of the chief irritants, Dennis Wise, HAD to go.

He feels he can bring something to the table that might reverse the slide. Who cares that, effectively, he has no experience in coaching?

Did Kenny Dalglish when he led Liverpool to two Doubles? What management background had Franz Beckenbauer before taking Germany to a World Cup?

It was noticeable on Saturday that Iain Dowie took on the ‘shouting' role on the touchline, barking out any necessary instructions, whereas Shearer largely adopted the persona of a ‘hands in the pockets' observer.

But don't be misled. Shearer will know that, even if he doesn't have a magic wand to wave, there's major work to do, starting this morning, on eliminating the individual errors that cost United so dearly - such as Coloccini's for the opening Chelsea goal.

Their three remaining home games against, in this order, Portsmouth, Middlesbrough and Fulham, in front of the sort of passionate fervour St James’ Park had the other afternoon, are ALL winnable.

Then, they'd probably have to nick something away too. Saturday's victories for Blackburn and Stoke, their next opponents, have made it more difficult: the odds are against but I rather hope it comes off.

Guest toonlass

NEWCASTLE OPT FOR MAGIC BEANS   

NEWCASTLE United today pinned their hopes on a bag of magic beans bought on the way to market.

The relegation threatened club said the beans had been acquired in exchange for an old cow in a deal worth some beans and a cow.

Newcastle fans were ecstatic at the return of the bag of beans which spent 10 glorious years sitting on the opposition goal line at St James's Park.

The beans will now be thrown out of a window in a last-ditch bid to keep the Magpies in the top flight.

Bill McKay, vice-chairman of the Toon Army supporters club, said: "Why waste money on an experienced manager with a good track record who knows how to get the best out of an unremarkable squad when you can just some chuck some magic beans into the garden and see what happens next?

"After years of disappointment and instability, Newcastle fans can now look forward to a period of beanstalks, stolen geese, thwarted, bread-making giants and an unlimited supply of big, shiny golden eggs."

But Charlie Reeves, football analyst at Donnelly-McPartlin, said: "It's a bold move. The only obstacle I can foresee is that while magic beans have been known to work, their success is limited exclusively to children's fairytales.

"The problem is that the Premier League is very real and, unfortunately for Newcastle, a bag of magic beans is not going to work just because they really, really want it to."

Source

:laugh:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/columnists/alan-green/alan-green-shear-will-can-keep-newcastle-up-14260415.html

Alan Green: Shear will can keep Newcastle up

Monday, 6 April 2009

The ‘Alan Shearer bubble' didn't burst on Saturday afternoon on Tyneside nor were Newcastle's hopes of avoiding relegation extinguished.

All that happened was that an obviously superior Chelsea side won a match they were overwhelmingly expected to.

And no-one will persuade me that Geordie prospects aren't a whole brighter this morning than they were this time last week.

Within moments of Shearer being confirmed as ‘temporary' manager of Newcastle - for now we must accept that is his intention - I had a caller to ‘6-0-6' insisting that the former England captain was merely trying to increase his public profile.

He was a Spurs' fan and was probably reacting out of misguided loyalty to the former Tottenham employee Chris Hughton who has been acting as Joe Kinnear's stand-in.

I judged it an excessively cynical view of what I see as a straightforward relationship. Alan Shearer is simply in love with Newcastle United, its fans and the city.

If he'd been merely pushing himself then he'd probably have taken the role on back in November.

He insists that he was never actually offered the job then but, had he shown the slightest encouragement, it was surely his to take.

No, I remain convinced that Shearer has stepped in out of sheer desperation.

Watching from the ‘Match Of The Day' sofa didn't make viewing any more palatable.

It hurt to see Newcastle not merely flirting with relegation but becoming one of the favourites to go down.

You can't tell me he's suddenly started to like the regime of Mike Ashley. Who in their right mind would? And, at least, he patently insisted that one of the chief irritants, Dennis Wise, HAD to go.

He feels he can bring something to the table that might reverse the slide. Who cares that, effectively, he has no experience in coaching?

Did Kenny Dalglish when he led Liverpool to two Doubles? What management background had Franz Beckenbauer before taking Germany to a World Cup?

It was noticeable on Saturday that Iain Dowie took on the ‘shouting' role on the touchline, barking out any necessary instructions, whereas Shearer largely adopted the persona of a ‘hands in the pockets' observer.

But don't be misled. Shearer will know that, even if he doesn't have a magic wand to wave, there's major work to do, starting this morning, on eliminating the individual errors that cost United so dearly - such as Coloccini's for the opening Chelsea goal.

Their three remaining home games against, in this order, Portsmouth, Middlesbrough and Fulham, in front of the sort of passionate fervour St James’ Park had the other afternoon, are ALL winnable.

Then, they'd probably have to nick something away too. Saturday's victories for Blackburn and Stoke, their next opponents, have made it more difficult: the odds are against but I rather hope it comes off.

I read that in my head with a Belfast accent and I agree with every word of it.

Wheyse Keyse Louise in talking sense shock

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/apr/09/alan-shearer-newcastle-survival-hopes

Alan Shearer: staying up would be my biggest triumph

• Avoiding relegation would be career highpoint

• Injury problems dog preparations for Stoke trip

* Louise Taylor

* guardian.co.uk, Thursday 9 April 2009 22.48 BST

Alan Shearer

Newcastle manager Alan Shearer says he has spoken to Kenny Dalgish, Kevin Keegan and Sir Bobby Robson about his new job. Photograph: Scott Heppell/AP

After only one week as Newcastle United's manager Alan Shearer is not only facing his first "injury crisis" but has freely ­admitted that avoiding relegation would be the biggest achievement of his ­illustrious career.

"Yes, without a doubt, it [staying up] would be my biggest achievement," stressed the former England captain whose goals swept Blackburn Rovers to the Premier League title in 1995.

"We've got one left-back and oneright-back at the football club. It doesn't take a genius to work out that you need more than that. It's most definitely, ­without a doubt, the biggest challenge of my career."

Only Chelsea, Everton and Manchester United have won away at Stoke City, Newcastle's opponents on Saturday, in the league this season but, fearful of being cast adrift in deep relegation waters, Shearer hopes Newcastle will shortly join that rollcall. "A good result is imperative, it really is," he said. "We need three points."

With Steven Taylor, like Mark Viduka, out through injury and the influential French defender Sébastien Bassong doubtful it will, however, not be easy against Tony Pulis's formidably physical and direct team.

"You know what you are getting at Stoke but can you handle it," mused Shearer. "Can we be big, can we be brave, can we be strong, can we play our football, can we win? Can we take Stoke on at being physical? Probably not. But can we take them on at football? Probably, yes."

In an attempt to discover some definitive answers Shearer has spent much of this week on the phone: "I've spoken to Kenny [Dalglish], I've spoken to Kevin [Keegan], I've spoken to Sir Bobby [Robson] and I've spoken to a few other coaches," he said. "It was good chatting to them. They all said 'welcome to the madhouse'.

"I haven't been able to switch off at all.Not at all. Not one bit. Bang goes your relaxation time. I've not spent too much time in the house. If anyone tells you that they can do this job and switch off and relax then I certainly don't believe them. It takes over your thoughts. Every waking moment. Every second, not just minute. I'm picking teams, 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 4-1-2 whatever. But it's been great, I've really enjoyed it."

So much so that, although it is very early days, few at St James' Park expect him to relinquish the post next season. Last week Derek Llambias, ­Newcastle's managing director, made noises about Joe Kinnear returning in July but the former manager's contract expires at the end of May and no one believes he will reappear on Tyneside.

Yet Kinnear, who underwent a triple heart by-pass in February, could have lost his life managing Newcastle and, acutely mindful of this, the club are handling the 62-year-old's inevitable departure with suitable sensitivity. "Joe's on the mend – in two months time he should be fully fit," reported Llambias on Wednesday.

Rather more significantly, Llambias's insistence that Dennis Wise, the club's recently departed director of football, will not be replaced is likely to have ­disappointed Kinnear who dropped heavy hints that he coveted the role.

anyone really think he'll just walk away in the now likely event we go down?

i won't, can't, imagine he'd do that after going through so much shit as a player at the club when he could have left countless times - i just don't think he'll have a hand in taking us down then not want to be the one that turns it around

he'll be here next season, has to be, surely?

Guest sicko2ndbest

Big Les thinks he'll stay regardless

LES FERDINAND insists Alan Shearer is in for the long haul at Newcastle — whatever division they are in.

Interim boss Shearer has seven games left to plot a route to Premier League safety with the club third bottom.

Super Al stresses he is only keeping the seat warm for Joe Kinnear, 62, as he continues to recover from major heart surgery.

But Ferdinand does not believe the Geordie, 38, would leave the club in the lurch should they end up in football’s second tier for the first time since 1993.

Sir Les, who played alongside Shearer at the Toon, said: “I think whatever happens this season, Alan will stay.

“People know this is the job he’s always wanted, he has it now and he’s got his coaching team in place for the future, so I don’t see him letting go of it easily.

“There are issues to be ironed out with Joe Kinnear and we all wish him a speedy recovery.

"But if Alan keeps Newcastle in the Premier League, which I think he will, the clamour for him to stay will be just too great to ignore. The fans will be camping outside his house to persuade him to stay because he’s such an icon up there.

“If you look at the squad available to Alan, it has the quality to be in the top 10 if everyone stays fit.

“So they should have enough. But the main question people are asking is ‘Does he have enough time to turn things round?’

“Even if they do go down, Alan’s not the kind of man to walk away from a challenge.

“He’ll stay to help them rebuild and come back stronger and, as a true Geordie, it’s a test he’d tackle head-on.

“When I played alongside him, you could always see he was nailed on to be a manager. So it’s no surprise he’s taken on Newcastle as his first job.

“He demanded the best out of himself and from his team-mates and he’ll do the same from the dugout. As a player, he had an old head on young shoulders, now he’s got an old head on old shoulders!”

Newcastle go to Stoke tomorrow in desperate need of three points — but they have managed just two away wins all season.

Ferdinand, now a Setanta Sports pundit, added: “Stoke have been exceptional at home and it’s one of the toughest places to go in the Premier League.

“Alan will be under no illusions about the size of the task. But Newcastle will target this game and the upcoming ones with Ports- mouth and Middlesbrough.”

The Sun