Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

He has came in and brought many rules and I think that is good because the team need discipline.

Dodgy grammar aside, it's great to hear of Shearer bringing in some order. He never settled for anything but the best as a player and I hope that carries through to his management. Obviously he should know from both the Robson and Souness eras that a fine balance is required.

honestly, what modern day manager worth his salt wouldn't impose rules on his players?

the current generation of footballers have to be the biggest set of wankers and layabouts ever, who on gods earth would let them get on with it themselves?

Evidently Joe Kinnear and Chris Hughton, our management duo for 90% of this season.

Edit - ah, I spot the 'modern day' and 'manager' bits in there. :nods:

yip  :nods:

Too early to comment on his tactical nous, but he seems to be ticking all the other boxes in a major way. The majority of players will respond in a very positive way to the changes and his 'enforcements', they'be been told pretty much all their lives about what it takes to be a footballer at the top level. Any who don't respond favourably will be out the door - and no loss whoever they are because they'll be replaced with those that want to be there. Ashley will back him, not least because he has no alternatives left. He's still not going to wave a magic wand and produce a transfer budget of £50m like, but it's all improvements from here on out as far as I can see, regardless of wether they're small steps or medium steps - I'm guessing giant strides are out for the time being.

Any who don't respond favourably will be out the door - and no loss whoever they are because they'll be replaced with those that want to be there.

I generally agree, as long as we don't end up with a Souness situation where we piss off our best players for the sake of the manager's ego.

Not saying that will happen with Shearer, but sometimes you need to handle unhappy or disruptive players for the good of results. The best players aren't always the nicest ones.

It might not be a major factor, but I love Shearer's message to the youngsters and the reserve squad that they can win a first team spot right NOW if they play well enough in the reserves. Not only does this give the likes of Carroll, Ranger and Edgar massive incentive, it also shoves a red hot poker right up the arses of a few first teamers who are getting away with anonymous performances week in week out.

It might not be a major factor, but I love Shearer's message to the youngsters and the reserve squad that they can win a first team spot right NOW if they play well enough in the reserves. Not only does this give the likes of Carroll, Ranger and Edgar massive incentive, it also shoves a red hot poker right up the arses of a few first teamers who are getting away with anonymous performances week in week out.

:clap:

Any who don't respond favourably will be out the door - and no loss whoever they are because they'll be replaced with those that want to be there.

I generally agree, as long as we don't end up with a Souness situation where we piss off our best players for the sake of the manager's ego.

Not saying that will happen with Shearer, but sometimes you need to handle unhappy or disruptive players for the good of results. The best players aren't always the nicest ones.

Couldn't see a Souness situation developing, but you never know; for instance how would Shearer the manager handle Keith Gillespie, we all know 'hearsay' what happened when Shearer was a player.

But we've also heard Shearer had a huddle and cozy one to one with Barton, so I'd say every player will get a fair chance and will know the rules, after that it's up to the player. Fingers crossed.

You know I think Shearer may turn out to be the best manager since Robson, but I could be all dreamy-eyed. If he's given time, and let's face it he'd get more time than anyone else I can think of, he should do more than okay. Just waiting on that tactical nous to be displayed and I'll be a LOT more confident.

Couldn't see a Souness situation developing, but you never know, for instance how would Shearer the manager handle Keith Gillespie, we all know 'hearsay' what happened when Shearer was a player.

But we've also heard Shearer had a huddle and cozy one to one with Barton, so I'd say every player will get a fair chance and will know the rules, after that it's up to the player. Fingers crossed.

You know I think Shearer may turn out to be the best manager since Robson, but I could be all dreamy-eyed. If he's given time, and let's face it he'd get more time than anyone else I can think of, he should do okay. Just waiting on that tactical nous to be displayed and I'll be a LOT more confident.

When KK left, we all thought that was our only hope.  Just like when Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda were talking in ESB about Luke Skywalker.

Yoda points out................."No, there is another"

just to pour some cold piss on this carroll scored 2 goals in the reserves and shearer played shola instead of him next game

edgar got a game through injury only as far as i can see and carroll came on against stoke 'cause shola was on the brink of being arrested he was so bad

what i want to see is shearer recognise that duff, smith, butt & shola are simply fucking terrible and THEY are the ones who should only be played as a last resort - a great manager will find a solution, i hope he can 'cause i've said all along if our future remains in the hands of said "established" players we'll go down and i stand by that

does anyone truly believe shearer will take owen off and give ranger a run out 'cause he's performing in the reserves?  i'm so sick of reactive management at NUFC - it's time for some proactivity man ffs

instead of giving the first teamers a "red hot poker" by threatening their place take the fucking place from them first and make them fight for it, alls half of them care about is money anyways so maybe they'd make an effort if appearance fees came under question

play the bairns man

what i want to see is shearer recognise that duff, smith, butt & shola are simply f***ing terrible and THEY are the ones who should only be played as a last resort - a great manager will find a solution, i hope he can 'cause i've said all along if our future remains in the hands of said "established" players we'll go down and i stand by that

This is my greatest worry also.

just to pour some cold piss on this carroll scored 2 goals in the reserves and shearer played shola instead of him next game

edgar got a game through injury only as far as i can see and carroll came on against stoke 'cause shola was on the brink of being arrested he was so bad

what i want to see is shearer recognise that duff, smith, butt & shola are simply fucking terrible and THEY are the ones who should only be played as a last resort - a great manager will find a solution, i hope he can 'cause i've said all along if our future remains in the hands of said "established" players we'll go down and i stand by that

does anyone truly believe shearer will take owen off and give ranger a run out 'cause he's performing in the reserves?  i'm so sick of reactive management at NUFC - it's time for some proactivity man ffs

instead of giving the first teamers a "red hot poker" by threatening their place take the fucking place from them first and make them fight for it, alls half of them care about is money anyways so maybe they'd make an effort if appearance fees came under question

play the bairns man

If this was two months ago I'd agree with you 100% but you have to factor in the situation we are in. Not many people would chuck a bunch of kids into a relegation battle where one bad result could be a disaster. Shearer might be playing youngsters because he's got no choice but I get the impression both he and Dowie are  very keen on pushing the development of the kids much quicker than previously.

play the bairns man

If this was two months ago I'd agree with you 100% but you have to factor in the situation we are in. Not many people would chuck a bunch of kids into a relegation battle where one bad result could be a disaster. Shearer might be playing youngsters because he's got no choice but I get the impression both he and Dowie are  very keen on pushing the development of the kids much quicker than previously.

nah, just not buying it Tron - he's supposed to have been watching us all season then why are shola and duff anywhere near the team?

i'll reiterate, a great manager would find a way to make things work; no-one is saying replace the whole team with bairns but you root out the problem areas and and identify your flaws then weed them out, that's what a manager is paid for

he's had options for change since arriving in my opinion, he just hasn't exercised those options yet

what i want to see is shearer recognise that duff, smith, butt & shola are simply f***ing terrible and THEY are the ones who should only be played as a last resort - a great manager will find a solution, i hope he can 'cause i've said all along if our future remains in the hands of said "established" players we'll go down and i stand by that

instead of giving the first teamers a "red hot poker" by threatening their place take the f***ing place from them first and make them fight for it, alls half of them care about is money anyways so maybe they'd make an effort if appearance fees came under question

play the bairns man

nah, just not buying it Tron - he's supposed to have been watching us all season then why are shola and duff anywhere near the team?

i'll reiterate, a great manager would find a way to make things work; no-one is saying replace the whole team with bairns but you root out the problem areas and and identify your flaws then weed them out, that's what a manager is paid for

he's had options for change since arriving in my opinion, he just hasn't exercised those options yet

I've been watching is all season but I'd have Duff in now, the only strange one was Shola over Carroll but I think that will change now. He might have been going for experience for that game against strong players. Carroll if on from the start and after getting kicked from pillar to post might have lashed out then we'd be stuffed.

no excuse for duff, i just can't get my head around why people are saying this now, beggars belief - he offers NOTHING man

my choice of players to play for us in midfield would be: barton> guthrie> jonas> nolan>owen (AM)> butt> [close call now] raylor> duff> a turd> smith

the only way duff should be near the team is if we couldn't field a 3 or 4 man midfield from anyone before him on that list and we can so he shouldn't

no excuse for duff, i just can't get my head around why people are saying this now, beggars belief - he offers NOTHING man

my choice of players to play for us in midfield would be: barton> guthrie> jonas> nolan>owen (AM)> butt> [close call now] raylor> duff> a turd> smith

the only way duff should be near the team is if we couldn't field a 3 or 4 man midfield from anyone before him on that list and we can so he shouldn't

Even though he's shite, he provided the assist for our only goal. He's a waste of space but probably one of the few players who can actually supply something from midfield, even if it is only once a game.

instead of giving the first teamers a "red hot poker" by threatening their place take the f***ing place from them first and make them fight for it, alls half of them care about is money anyways so maybe they'd make an effort if appearance fees came under question

play the bairns man

you can't win anything with kids can you?

O0

Even though he's shite, he provided the assist for our only goal. He's a waste of space but probably one of the few players who can actually supply something from midfield, even if it is only once a game.

he's a wretch of a player, i'd rather see the management team set up a gameplan and formation that might afford us the chance to play together as a team than rely on a piece of quality from someone who offers nothing else on the pitch

trying to think if any of our relegation rivals play someone so ineffective so often and i can't

and by the way i think you're being very generous with "once a game" for duff, once a month if he's lucky

...'piss off our best players'...???

What a catastrophic loss THAT would be - NOT..

I reckon that by 'our best players' you are referring largely to Martins and the rest of the under-achievers who, regrettably, are allowed to wear the B & W shirt...

As far as I am concerned, this lot haven't got one solitary reason why they SHOULDN'T be 'pissed off', and Shearer can do what he likes with ANY of them - even if they ALL wanted a transfer at the season's end, I would back Shearer to sign replacements who would be better.

They are being PAID HANDSOMELY to give 100% in the club's cause and I would rather Shearer got rid of anyone who doesn't because they don't deserve ONE PENNY of the club's(or fans')hard-earned cash.

Some of these so-called footballers are in for a rude awakening over the next year or so....

...'piss off our best players'...???

What a catastrophic loss THAT would be - NOT..

I reckon that by 'our best players' you are referring largely to Martins and the rest of the under-achievers who, regrettably, are allowed to wear the B & W shirt...

As far as I am concerned, this lot haven't got one solitary reason why they SHOULDN'T be 'pissed off', and Shearer can do what he likes with ANY of them - even if they ALL wanted a transfer at the season's end, I would back Shearer to sign replacements who would be better.

They are being PAID HANDSOMELY to give 100% in the club's cause and I would rather Shearer got rid of anyone who doesn't because they don't deserve ONE PENNY of the club's(or fans')hard-earned cash.

Some of these so-called footballers are in for a rude awakening over the next year or so....

i agree 100% with this post merlin, i wish i had a drum to bang i agree with what you say that much

it's why i want him to stay as manager, tear these losers apart and replace them with hungry players that will fight for the shirt

He did get the assist for the equaliser, but it was via a deflection.  The only thing of real substance that Duff has produced in weeks and it came from a deflected cross.

He may claim that's what he meant to do, but I think we've all used that excuse before in pool/snooker/etc, it's bullshit then too.

Would the club offer Ranger a three and half year deal on Shearer's say so? an 8 game manager having that ind of say?

Aye, the clubs either shit scared of Al or he's going to be staying.

Lets hope its both.