Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

What was it that was making him laugh? Couldn't make it out in the pub.

The Liverpool fans started singing "You shoulda stayed on the telly"

Guest Howaythetoon

He, our stadium and our support is the only redeeming quality about our club at the moment. Love the fucking man and feel for him.

He's a clever, witty man now. Having seen his whole career pretty much, funny to compare it to 10-15 or so years ago.

Very interesting to see him with some presence in front of a camera and be genuinely interesting.

Pretty convinced he will stay on. think he will bring in a daglish-esq mentor figure for dof, sack of calderwood and hughton and replace them with carver and lee, maybe one more if dowie wants away somewhere. regardless of which division we are in we will see at least half the squad out of the door too. Relegation might be a blessing in that respect with less than a handfull really worth the money we pay them.

Think hes doing a good job, whether i agree/disagree with everything he does. He seems far more in touch with the general consensus of the fans also which is a nice change from endlessly sticking to your guns with pure failures. Cant really blame him for playing butt/smith when realistically we just have no one better. Even guthrie didnt look that impressive when brought on v portsmouth...so cant say he isnt trying things. Just hope it works out. I like him as a manager.

I like Shearer as manager, he hasn't got the results, but he's making good decisions.

I thought he went in with the wrong formation against Liverpool with three mis-firing forwards in the team...they are too strong to get away with carrying passengers. Other than that though he has really looked the part. Whichever division we are in I really hope he stays on, he's going to learn as he goes along and I love how he makes changes early and decisively rather than sat frozen watching us going nowhere.

Pissing about with the formation game after game and it not working is showing his inexperience.

He's like a cricket captain repeatedly moving fielders to follow where the ball has last been hit.

Pretty poor in that respect.

That's fair comment, but sticking with the same shit players in the same shit formations has got us in this position in the first place. I'd rather go down trying something different than hoping things will eventually come good.

I'm sure if he had a transfer window and pre-season in charge he'd pick a system and work to it.

Obviously I love the man but his tactics/formations have been poor and he hasn't got any better performances from the players so take nostalgia aside, I think the jury is very much out, though I admit its pretty difficult circumstances to be judging him in.

Pissing about with the formation game after game and it not working is showing his inexperience.

He's like a cricket captain repeatedly moving fielders to follow where the ball has last been hit.

It's understandable in many ways though. The good thing about it is that he's clearly not the manager that favours the cloggers/true Brit grit/4-4-2 - all that sorta shit. I feared that he might be. It's good because he's shown some balls to actually change things, when things so desperately needed changing. It's peculiar seeing a manager with actual common sense.

And in fairness to him he's been brought in with such little time to make a difference, how the fuck is he supposed to find his best team by not tinkering a little bit?

I slated him yesterday when i heard he was going to drop Owen, because i thought he was going to lose the 4-3-3 - which would have been a really bad decision imo. He's needed to tinker a bit in order to find his best formation, in a seriously small amount of time... he's needed to find it and stick with it. And he's done that very thing.

I honestly don't think he's done a lot wrong formation/tactics-wise. Really can't complain an awful lot. The 3-5-2 was hardly spectacular but like i say, things needed changing and with the loss of Enrique, that's what he went for first, three centre-backs? His fault? No. Can you blame him for doing it? No you can't.

In spite of the shite results and the not-so-good performances, i think Shearer's done a lot right and if we end up chucking him then we're i just fucking give up.

Btw, check out his interview on Setanta re: Barton. Class. :lol:

I admire his formation/selection switching. He's desperately trying to get something out of these players, ok he's failing but he'd fail anyway if he sent out Taylor/Nolan/Butt/Duff/Owen etc in a 4-4-2 like we have all season.

I'm trying to remind myself that it took Keegan 9 games plus to get anything out of these cunts.

Then I'm trying to forget that Shearer was appointed with 8 games remaining and with the team in a worse predicament.

That's fair comment, but sticking with the same shit players in the same shit formations has got us in this position in the first place. I'd rather go down trying something different than hoping things will eventually come good.

I'm sure if he had a transfer window and pre-season in charge he'd pick a system and work to it.

ha, said the same thing to my mate yesterday when he was on about where players were playing - playing them in the "right" positions hasn't worked has it?  jesus

there's a piece in the guardian today slating shearer and using yesterday as justification, there isn't manager on the planet who would have taken our shower of shit to anfield yesterday and got a result - anyone who thinks there is needs to have serious word...the stupid cunt even suggests ashley should have went for "another kinnear" instead of shearer

we were ALWAYS losing this game, imo we should thank our lucky fucking stars we only conceded 3 goals and look to the teams we might have chance of beating in our next two games

seriously people, complaining 'cause shearer changes shit about trying to find a solution rather than playing the same toss week after week, mental   :no: :no:

Guest Darth Toon

Still impressed with him. Trying anything and everything to get something out of these players is vastly preferable to sitting on his arse doing nothing.

It's the quiet authority he goes about his business with I like the best though - we've finally got a shred of dignity back into the club and in a position that could make a difference longer term.

He's the one reason I can find why going down will be made slightly more bearable (assuming he stays - I wouldn't put it past Ashley to even fuck up that bit....)