Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

A new four year deal.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/newcastle/5297187/Newcastle-United-to-offer-Alan-Shearer-brfour-year-deal-to-stay-as-manager.html

[/quote

This would be strange, i hope he does stay but offering a novice manager so much money seems a bit mad, especially given our circumstances.

Zola has done well at West Ham with the aid of a good number 2.

no reason why Shearer should not be given a long term deal. it going to take a few years to sort it all out.

Guest Howaythetoon

The thing I liked about Gary Speed was his attitude to our younger players, I remember Viana for example saying how it was Speed who helped him settle the greatest, always inviting him out to dinner or having words of comfort after poor performances etc. I also remember Sir Bobby talking about that aspect of Speed and how one day he'd make a good manager because of his people skills. Speed was a fantastic servant for Newcastle, an all-round good guy and a true leader off the pitch. Whether he would indeed make a good manager or coach remains to be seen.

The thing I liked about Gary Speed was his attitude to our younger players, I remember Viana for example saying how it was Speed who helped him settle the greatest, always inviting him out to dinner or having words of comfort after poor performances etc. I also remember Sir Bobby talking about that aspect of Speed and how one day he'd make a good manager because of his people skills. Speed was a fantastic servant for Newcastle, an all-round good guy and a true leader off the pitch. Whether he would indeed make a good manager or coach remains to be seen.

Those are interesting snippets. Speed certainly comes across as a nice bloke who would always offer good advice. Whether he's got the forcefulness or the creative brain of a top manager - not apparent yet.

Appointing a novice manager is always a risk, but Shearer has always shown potential. I've seen enough over the last few weeks to want to see him given a chance. My only hesitation had been whether he had the brain and the balls to drop Owen, and he's done that.

I'm all for Shearer being given the chance. He has made mistakes but what new manager wouldn't? I've been very impressed with how he has not been afraid to try ideas which many would sneer at and also the discipline he has brought so far. I am more confident than I would be with any other manager at the moment that he will be willing to overhaul this squad come summertime.

Guest Wally_McFool

I dont particularly like the sound of this bit...

Shearer, 38, would be placed in total control of comings and goings at the club but it is understood he would have just £10 million to spend on new players in the summer, which would be drastically reduced if the club slide into the Championship.

Sounds like the same old Ashley if its true. We definitely need more than £10 million  to fix our team  ???

Give me Gary Speed over Hughton any day of the week

Harsh on Hughton imo. The fact that KK came out and said Chris was his first choice no.2 would indicate he has some ability.

I won't be going to a game because we're training on Saturday morning and in the afternoon I'll be sat with the Teletext watching the results come through like everyone else.

;D :love:

Guest getalife

Personally, I'm really looking forward to seeing Shearer assemble his own team,

News team ASSEMBLE!

erm............ hoy together........?

I won't be going to a game because we're training on Saturday morning and in the afternoon I'll be sat with the Teletext watching the results come through like everyone else.

;D :love:

"I won't be going to a game because we're training on Saturday morning and in the afternoon I'll be sat with the Teletext watching the results come through like everyone else," Shearer said. "I won't be going to walk the dog, either. :lol: :lol:

i liked  last bit of the quote

Give me Gary Speed over Hughton any day of the week

Harsh on Hughton imo. The fact that KK came out and said Chris was his first choice no.2 would indicate he has some ability.

in making tea

Guest Stephen927

I'm not sure how anybody could make a judgement on Hughton's coaching abilities, unless they've taken part in one of his sessions?

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/297977/STEVEN-TAYLOR-ON-ALAN-SHEARER-EXCLUSIVE-If-hed-been-in-charge-sooner-we-wouldnt-be-in-this-mess.html

STEVEN TAYLOR EXCLUSIVE

'If he'd been in charge sooner, we wouldn't be in this mess'

By MARTIN HARDY, 09/05/2009

STEVEN TAYLOR is the last Geordie at the coalface fighting to save his football club and he has one regret - that Alan Shearer did not take over the crisis outfit earlier.

Then Newcastle might not be facing a game Taylor describes as 'the biggest in the history of this football club' tomorrow. Then there might not be such anguish, such internal battles to be won in a club's hour of need.

Shearer has affected much change in five-and-a-half weeks - coming down hard on Joey Barton, installing discipline that has been absent for years.

Those inside the club talk of a new code, of new standards and of training sessions designed to improve individuals for the first time in memory.

Taylor, 23, admitted: "I just wish he had come in earlier. He is a very strict guy and everyone knows not to cross him. He has strict routines and that is how it should be at this club. He does not want any slackers. You have to be on time for everything. If you are late for anything you get a hefty fine. That's how it is.

"There are no favourites at the club. The gaffer and Iain Dowie treat everybody exactly same.

"That's how it should be but it hasn't been at this club since I've been here. I'm now very confident and the lads are very confident that we can take maximum points from the last three games and stay in the top flight.

"Everyone is more upbeat now. Everyone is working harder. The heart-rate monitors show we are not slacking off and if you do, you come in for afternoon sessions. You have to work hard for him."

It has been a seismic change, from a club where lateness festered and training was lax. For the first time in Taylor's career - and the strapping defender has been a first-team regular for five seasons - he has received individual coaching.

Taylor added: "We have never had a coach who has taken individuals specifically and worked with their different weaknesses.

Iain Dowie has done a hell of a lot of stuff like that. The coaching of Iain has been fantastic. He has worked very closely with Alan Shearer.

"The respect they have got from the players is massive. They know when to have a laugh and a joke. But they know when to tell the players to knuckle down to the serious work.

"In the training sessions that he puts on you have to work hard. If you are not prepared to work hard in the training session then you might as well go home."

The change came from day one, when Mike Ashley pulled Shearer out of his hat. The effect was immediate. Taylor said: "The lads had the heart-rate monitors on for that first training session and the heart rates were way over what they should have been.

"Nobody stopped moving. Everyone was busy bees all of the time."

Newcastle fans can only hope the heart paddles that were blasted on to the chest of an ailing football club last month have hit the right spot.

This really is their hour of need, when all logic, after one win in their last 19 games, points to impending disaster. But Shearer has galvanised everything at St James' Park, bar results.

The heat of a North East derby that will spell disaster for the side that does not win will be the real acid test.

"Of course, it is a night for men," added Taylor. "We need 11 leaders out on the pitch. We have to give all we can for the club, we have to play out of our skin.

"We need players coming off the pitch with their black and white shirts absolutely drenched in sweat for the cause. It has choked me seeing Newcastle in the bottom three. There is no worse feeling."

Taylor has been reminded of the implication of relegation at every turn. It will push Newcastle to the brink, financially, with a heavy payroll and a vastly-diminished income if they tumble into the Championship.

But more will be the damage to a city. Taylor explained: "When I go shopping, the people on the tills tell you what it means to them and how important the club is.

"Everyone knows what it means. When I'm out it's all anyone talks about. It reminds you of how important the club is. It is massively important we win the match. It's the biggest game of our careers."

I find the bit in bold astonishing.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/297977/STEVEN-TAYLOR-ON-ALAN-SHEARER-EXCLUSIVE-If-hed-been-in-charge-sooner-we-wouldnt-be-in-this-mess.html

STEVEN TAYLOR EXCLUSIVE

'If he'd been in charge sooner, we wouldn't be in this mess'

By MARTIN HARDY, 09/05/2009

STEVEN TAYLOR is the last Geordie at the coalface fighting to save his football club and he has one regret - that Alan Shearer did not take over the crisis outfit earlier.

Then Newcastle might not be facing a game Taylor describes as 'the biggest in the history of this football club' tomorrow. Then there might not be such anguish, such internal battles to be won in a club's hour of need.

Shearer has affected much change in five-and-a-half weeks - coming down hard on Joey Barton, installing discipline that has been absent for years.

Those inside the club talk of a new code, of new standards and of training sessions designed to improve individuals for the first time in memory.

Taylor, 23, admitted: "I just wish he had come in earlier. He is a very strict guy and everyone knows not to cross him. He has strict routines and that is how it should be at this club. He does not want any slackers. You have to be on time for everything. If you are late for anything you get a hefty fine. That's how it is.

"There are no favourites at the club. The gaffer and Iain Dowie treat everybody exactly same.

"That's how it should be but it hasn't been at this club since I've been here. I'm now very confident and the lads are very confident that we can take maximum points from the last three games and stay in the top flight.

"Everyone is more upbeat now. Everyone is working harder. The heart-rate monitors show we are not slacking off and if you do, you come in for afternoon sessions. You have to work hard for him."

It has been a seismic change, from a club where lateness festered and training was lax. For the first time in Taylor's career - and the strapping defender has been a first-team regular for five seasons - he has received individual coaching.

Taylor added: "We have never had a coach who has taken individuals specifically and worked with their different weaknesses.

Iain Dowie has done a hell of a lot of stuff like that. The coaching of Iain has been fantastic. He has worked very closely with Alan Shearer.

"The respect they have got from the players is massive. They know when to have a laugh and a joke. But they know when to tell the players to knuckle down to the serious work.

"In the training sessions that he puts on you have to work hard. If you are not prepared to work hard in the training session then you might as well go home."

The change came from day one, when Mike Ashley pulled Shearer out of his hat. The effect was immediate. Taylor said: "The lads had the heart-rate monitors on for that first training session and the heart rates were way over what they should have been.

"Nobody stopped moving. Everyone was busy bees all of the time."

Newcastle fans can only hope the heart paddles that were blasted on to the chest of an ailing football club last month have hit the right spot.

This really is their hour of need, when all logic, after one win in their last 19 games, points to impending disaster. But Shearer has galvanised everything at St James' Park, bar results.

The heat of a North East derby that will spell disaster for the side that does not win will be the real acid test.

"Of course, it is a night for men," added Taylor. "We need 11 leaders out on the pitch. We have to give all we can for the club, we have to play out of our skin.

"We need players coming off the pitch with their black and white shirts absolutely drenched in sweat for the cause. It has choked me seeing Newcastle in the bottom three. There is no worse feeling."

Taylor has been reminded of the implication of relegation at every turn. It will push Newcastle to the brink, financially, with a heavy payroll and a vastly-diminished income if they tumble into the Championship.

But more will be the damage to a city. Taylor explained: "When I go shopping, the people on the tills tell you what it means to them and how important the club is.

"Everyone knows what it means. When I'm out it's all anyone talks about. It reminds you of how important the club is. It is massively important we win the match. It's the biggest game of our careers."

I find the bit in bold astonishing.

the sad thing is, i dont.

the place has been a joke, and a playground, for years.

wasnt there a piece in a paper recently, the times maybe, that mentioned this? something like dowie was taking people aside to work on their weeknesses, something that hadnt been done previously?

Incredible.

So much for the rumour that Kinnear spent, what, something like 80% of taining on defending !

They can work on whatever they like; if individuals are not taken aside and told what they are doing wrong it's no surprise they keep making the same mistakes.

And we wonder why NUFC seems to have been a graveyard for rated players in recent years.

Incredible.

So much for the rumour that Kinnear spent, what, something like 80% of taining on defending !

They can work on whatever they like; if individuals are not taken aside and told what they are doing wrong it's no surprise they keep making the same mistakes.

And we wonder why NUFC seems to have been a graveyard for rated players in recent years.

Its terrifying, it really is.

If Shearer doesn't get results and get them playing with heart on the pitch, and he hasn't so far imo, then I couldn't give two tits that their monitors were going mental the day he was unveiled.

That's fair enough, and that's also all he will be judged on ultimately.

It's always nice to hear that positive progress is being made away from matchdays though. In theory that progress should translate into results.