Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

I meant to say 'financial position'. Supposition remains. Whether you take it on board on not, it at least makes me feel better about our situation. Cheers Dave.

How can we possibly be in a better financial position when we're now off the Premiership gravy train?

Guest firetotheworks

Go to the games with a bunch of lads who each can knock up 40+ years of supporting NUFC. Not one I know wants Fat Fred anywhere near the club after his shambolic stewardship which was based entirely on massaging his bloated ego as some sort of "Geordie" ambassador who thought he knew what was best for one of the most beloved institutions in the region. The man sought our respect by recklessly trying to buy it - a yearly revolving door spending policy that would have eventually brought this club to ruin both on the field and off it. The man is of dubious character and is back in the frame for no other reason that a bruised ego and some sort of personal glorification that he is somehow the one to save the club from the nosedive that began from his decisions. The mere possibilty of watching someone who would piss on us all from a great height once again sat in the Chairmans seat turns the stomach and then some.

The majority who I go to the games with also think appointing Shearer is a big mistake. Not only does he lack the experience which we are going to need in the season ahead but he has shown nothing when it comes to team selection and tactical awareness as was proven in the eight games he was in charge. Those last 45 minutes at Villa were nothing short of a disgrace and anyone worth his salt who wants to be a manager of any standing should have sent that team - no matter how poor they obviously are - out for the most important 45 minutes in recent club history as if their backsides were on fire. But there was nothing. No fight. No fire. Not good enough from everybody concerned including Shearer. I don't see how it will be any different in the season/s ahead.

NUFC are in for one helluva wake up call when we get our first taste of the hell hole that is Div#2. We are in some serious poo and Shearer will think his arse has fallen out of his pants when he's stood there on the sidelines watching the kickball version of Battle of the Somme. Every tom, dick and harry will look on us as a prize scalp and will be wound up to kick our backsides. Not to beat NUFC but to beat Shearer.

Shearer no doubt loves the club as much as anyone on this board but this time, in this situation, love just isn't enough.

That started out as a good post, but then you just delved into presenting prediction as fact.

Are people forgetting who started all the s*** we are in at the moment. I don't want Shepherd any where near this club, it was his total incompetency that got us into this mess.

yeah, its much better getting relegated than , finishing second or playing in the champions league.

So we are better off with 100 million in debt are we?.

What, than being in the Championship? Er, yes. :lol:

We're a football club. That means that on the field matters take precedence over everything else.

You might find solace in the books being balanced (even though they're not because we've just lost a shitload of cash by being RELEGATED) when we're playing Doncaster on a Tuesday night next season but I won't.

Love the way people carry on like half the PL clubs aren't in huge debt.

Love how people use debt in such a generalised way and ignore the differences between the situation we were in with debt and the situation a lot of other Premiership clubs are in.

Love how people use debt in such a generalised way and ignore the differences between the situation we were in with debt and the situation a lot of other Premiership clubs are in.

Aye, someone on the radio was saying that Man U and Liverpool's debt was "manageable" now but if they ever fell on hard times, ie fell out of the top 4 they would be in dire straits.

Aye, someone on the radio was saying that Man U and Liverpool's debt was "manageable" now but if they ever fell on hard times, ie fell out of the top 4 they would be in dire straits.

Liverpool might be fucked even without dropping out of the top 4

That's the thing though you might say the likes of Manures debts are only managaeble while they're in the top 4 but it is manageable none the less.  We were in a position where our debt, and continued losses, were nowhere near manageable.

That's the thing though you might say the likes of Manures debts are only managaeble while they're in the top 4 but it is manageable none the less.  We were in a position where our debt, and continued losses, were nowhere near manageable.

True. Especially when our annual revenue is about to go from £100 million to about half of that, and at present nothing on that scale has happened to our costs.

Can see Shearer walking away tmrw if he doesnt get the answer he wants. I dont blame him either.

If we wait any longer to sort this managerial situation out we will lose all the ground on trying to bring decent players in, not to mention carting people out so we can do the former.

He has said it before he will only take the job if he thinks he has a good chance at doing well. Just over 3 weeks until Pre Season starts. As of now it doesnt look like we can appoint a manager until those 3 weeks have passed.

Can see Shearer walking away tmrw if he doesnt get the answer he wants. I dont blame him either.

If we wait any longer to sort this managerial situation out we will lose all the ground on trying to bring decent players in, not to mention carting people out so we can do the former.

He has said it before he will only take the job if he thinks he has a good chance at doing well. Just over 3 weeks until Pre Season starts. As of now it doesnt look like we can appoint a manager until those 3 weeks have passed.

He can't expect them to be appointing him before any takeover is complete.

He can't expect them to be appointing him before any takeover is complete.

Maybe not, but I don't expect him to(although he might) wait around until that point, when the majority of potential targets have been missed and preparations are weeks behind, reducing the chances of him steering us back to the premiership.

We don't like doing things the easy way here.

Would he take the West Brom job though, being linked with it on SSN this morning? I know he said he loved managment now but I think this is the only job he wants.

Alan Shearer is hoping a north-east buyer will take over Newcastle and keep alive his hopes of being named permanent Magpies boss - as current owner Mike Ashley does not think he should get the job.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2468858/Toon-torment-for-Big-Al.html

If Shearer does not get the job, it would be just typical that he becomes a manager at another club, becomes hugely successful and in demand.  We come crawling back and he tells us where to go.

I think he'll walk away from this shambles. Club run by amateurs, decimating the squad using a third party, and no formal agreements in place.

Perhaps the new owners will appoint him, but fuck knows when that will be.

Joke club; well done for pushing out the only person stupid enough to want to take the job.

Again taking someone's love for the club as a tool to use against them to do what they want.

Joke club; well done for pushing out the only person stupid enough to want to take the job.

Again taking someone's love for the club as a tool to use against them to do what they want.

yup... i wouldn't blame big al for walking at this point.

so much for it being 'the best decision they ever made bringing shearer in' then string him along re: taking the job full time

I think he'll walk away from this shambles. Club run by amateurs, decimating the squad using a third party, and no formal agreements in place.

Perhaps the new owners will appoint him, but f*** knows when that will be.

This - the club is just a joke and a person with Shearer's standing in the game will not want to put up with this mad-house for much longer ; also doubt he would return under Shepherd - in fact, I'd be disappointed with him if he did.

Some prick from NOTW's just been on SSN saying Shearer's more than likely to go to WBA.

One of his main arguments was that he doesn't think Shearer would necessarily be the right man and that you need an experienced man to get you out of the Championship.

Okay then, if that's the case why the fuck would WBA offer him a job? Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't they get relegated too?

Honestly, how these fuckers get paid to spout this shite baffles me. It's not only a case of other people disproving their crap, they contradict their own argument in the very same statement.

Twats the lot of them.

Seen that this morning his argumemnt was a bit shit and found that he was making it up they way he talked about it.

I hope he chokes on a bagel this morning.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/06/08/chronicle-calls-for-shearer-to-get-united-job-72703-23815496/

Chronicle calls for Shearer to get United job

Jun 8 2009 by Adam Jupp, Evening Chronicle

AFTER Mike Ashley confirmed Newcastle United are up for sale for £100m, the Chronicle has joined the fans in calling for Alan Shearer to be given the Toon manager's job.

MIKE Ashley was today under mounting pressure to appoint Alan Shearer as Newcastle United manager.

Two weeks have passed since Shearer entered talks to become permanent boss in the wake of relegation from the Premier League.

But with pre-season training looming and the club’s ownership still up in the air, fans remain in the dark over whether Shearer will be given the job.

Ashley has announced his desire to sell-up and today officially slapped a £100m valuation on the Toon - more than £30m less than he paid for it.

Keith Harris, the man charged with the selling the club, has been on a Middle East mission to find a buyer, while a consortium involving ex-chairman Freddy Shepherd is understood to be weighing-up a bid.

Mr Harris has said there is “real and decent interest, not necessarily from far flung parts of the globe” in the Magpies. But after a weekend that saw Shearer linked with managerial posts at other clubs, fans today called on the situation to be resolved as quickly as possible.

A spokesman for the Newcastle United Supporters’ Club (NUSC) said: “It is vital Mike Ashley acts quickly to quash the rumour and hearsay that surrounds the appointment of Alan Shearer as our manager.

“Alan understands the club and most importantly the fans and can only be seen as a serious selling point for our club. Mr Ashley can resolve the relative instability by making a decision that will make Newcastle United a more saleable asset by appointing Alan.

“NUSC and its 1,200 members would call for him to act quickly and make this happen. This decision will allow Mr Ashley to bring to a close his tenure at Newcastle with a positive decision for the club’s future and it can only help his sale of the club. This is an opportunity to show the fans that their voice is being heard in the corridors of power.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

David Laighton, 46, works for Thompsons, Birtley: Two weeks is too long. It’s not doing any good for the club. Shearer should be named manager now. Ashley has done nothing for the club and he should go sooner rather than later.

Barry McDonald, 43, joiner, Hebburn: They need to make a decision now. If they’re going to give him the job, hurry up and do it. I don’t know what Ashley is doing and I’m sure Shearer is dubious about him.

Michael Purvis, 60, delivery driver, Blyth: The fans always get the worst part of the deal. We always seem to be waiting for the club to do something and I think we’ve suffered enough. A decision needs to be made.

John Cowens, 19, student, Killingworth: It’s been way too long now. The club needs to sort things out and make a decision. They need to get their manager sorted so they can start concentrating on players.

David Spears, 56, bookkeeper, Newcastle: There is so much uncertainty with the club and its sale and Shearer can’t make a decision until it’s sorted out. A deal he makes with Ashley may not be a deal the new owners want.

Paul Burdis, 39, financial advisor, Dunston: Something needs to be done now. They need to get Shearer officially appointed as manager so that the club can start concentrating on buying and selling players.

David Errington, 42, call centre manager, Morpeth: The sooner Ashley goes, the better. The club needs to be sold before Shearer can make a decision. I’m not convinced Shearer would make a good manager.

Jordan Kendal, 18, civil engineer, Gateshead: Shearer doesn’t know what the new owners want and I think that’s holding him back. The club needs stability and to get that, Ashley needs to hurry up and sell.

Barry Moore, 41, greengrocer, Denton Burn: Shearer should be brought in to bring a bit of stability back to the club, and he should be looking for players now or it’s going to be too late before next season.

Bob Kettlewell, 58, butcher, Denton Burn: Everybody respects Shearer. The fans love him and they should be giving him the money to do get new players. They need somebody that the fans love and support.

Tony Johnson, 22, butcher, Elswick: It’s about time Alan Shearer took over and brought the players up to standard and a bit of money might bring us back up into the Premier League next season.

Michael Patterson, 56, stall holder, High Heaton: It’s time that Mike Ashley made up his mind whether he’s staying or going. The fans would like to see Alan Shearer in charge. The players respect him.

David Carter, 20, unemployed, Wallsend: Shearer’s the only person for the job. He’s got the passion for the game and he’s the only person who can get the club sorted out because Mike Ashley is a joke.

Terence Patterson, 60, fruiterer, High Heaton: I think somebody needs to take responsibility for the club quickly. Shearer is the best man for the job and it’s about time he took over. He’s respected.

Mark Stewart, 43, taxi driver, Fenham: Shearer was in charge long enough but where’s the silverware? I don’t know if he is the best person for the job now. I don’t know if he would make much of a difference.

Sarah Williams, 35, graphic designer, Wallsend: It’s ridiculous. He should take over now. He’s passionate about the club and it might be Alan Shearer who can get us back into the top flight.

Mark Stewart, 43, taxi driver, Fenham: Shearer was in charge long enough but where’s the silverware? I don’t know if he is the best person for the job now. I don’t know if he would make much of a difference.

Eh? :lol: