Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

i think the best thing to do atm is to sit tight, watch good managers like Bruce and Martinez go to other clubs, wait until Shearer has lost patience so that we don't have to dish out a large contract to anyone and try to sell the club to a band of Somalian pirates.

Any substance to that other than Louise 'SMB' Taylor saying he has went on holiday? 

I dont read any quote or anything in that article to suggest as such?

What we don't need is yet another week wasted dithering on without a manager, players are already being bought and sold, we need someone in place fast or we are going to be well behind in terms of rebuilding.

But that's clearly not going to happen, don't expect a positive annoucement on who will be manageing the club for a little while yet :(

Any substance to that other than Louise 'SMB' Taylor saying he has went on holiday? 

I dont read any quote or anything in that article to suggest as such?

No, there is nothing in that article. Shearer doesn't know what is going to happen, neither does Mike Ashley and then the article ends with Joey Barton saying he doesn't know what is going to happen either except that he is not going to leave Newcastle unless forced to do so (greed).

Terrible article.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/ashley-and-shearer-to-learn-bankers-verdict-1697177.html

Ashley and Shearer to learn bankers' verdict

Friday, 5 June 2009

Alan Shearer is expected to hear news on his future at Newcastle United today.

Owner Mike Ashley has been in negotiations with banks to maintain and extend Newcastle's £40m working capital facility, which is required if Shearer is to be given a contract and money with which to begin to restructure the squad. A provisional agreement is in place on the blueprint Shearer presented last week, but as of late yesterday there was still no indication of the response from the banks.

Remember when Llambas said there was a plan in case we went down? 

Because from the outside perspective, you might be forgiven for thinking it looks like total chaos.  Chaos in danger of making this last season of failure bleed into the next.  How can they be this bad at acting professionally?  These clowns are running this club with all the finesse and expertise that a 15 year old boy would show Angelina Jolie's bra strap.  Total, total amateurs.  No planning, no forethought, and absolutely no sense of urgency.  About as much urgency as the players showed against Villa. 

Fuck you Mike Ashley.

Because from the outside perspective, you might be forgiven for thinking it looks like total chaos.  Chaos in danger of making this last season of failure bleed into the next.  How can they be this bad at acting professionally?  These clowns are running this club with all the finesse and expertise that a 15 year old boy would show Angelina Jolie's bra strap.  Total, total amateurs.  No planning, no forethought, and absolutely no sense of urgency.  About as much urgency as the players showed against Villa. 

Fuck you Mike Ashley.

Spot on. 

I was devastated when we went down, then got a bit of optimism back as daft football fans do.  Every day that goes by here is fucking up our chance of going up first time round.  And if we don't go up this season, we're knackered cos it will get harder and harder.  Absolutely infuriating times.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/ashley-and-shearer-to-learn-bankers-verdict-1697177.html

Friday, 5 June 2009

Owner Mike Ashley has been in negotiations with banks to maintain and extend Newcastle's £40m working capital facility, which is required if Shearer is to be given a contract and money with which to begin to restructure the squad. A provisional agreement is in place on the blueprint Shearer presented last week, but as of late yesterday there was still no indication of the response from the banks.

As soon as Ashley put this in the hands of the banks he was taking a sideways step from handing Shearer the job. It's a kop out of the highest order and I think we need to start looking at alternative choice managers, though for the life I me I don't know where to start. Joe Kinnear probably.

Friday, 5 June 2009

As soon as Ashley put this in the hands of the banks he was taking a sideways step from handing Shearer the job. It's a kop out of the highest order and I think we need to start looking at alternative choice managers, though for the life I me I don't know where to start. Joe Kinnear probably.

Ashley and Llambias are deluding themselves if they think any other half-decent manager won't say exactly the same as Shearer regarding what's needed to rebuild.

Then again, someone like Kinnear will probably say nothing of the sort.

Guest Stephen927

Can't see them appointing him until the sale has gone through to be honest. Fortunately I think Shearer will hang around until thats sorted then push through a couple of deals he's had his eye on.

Friday, 5 June 2009

Ashley and Llambias are deluding themselves if they think any other half-decent manager won't say exactly the same as Shearer regarding what's needed to rebuild.

What makes you think Ashley wants to rebuild? Administration looks more likely to me.

I'm not a business person, but if I've understood it right, this plan that's been put to the banks is based on Shearer's proposals, and would be part of the package for whoever took over from Ashley. The hope presumably is that Shearer would be put in place now, and be able to begin the task of team-building without delay, and the new owner who might come along further down the line would know what they were getting into financially and on the managerial front. Shearer in place could make the club more attractive, most supporters would be happy and the price of the club would reflect the business plan that was in place.

Ashley has concluded - realistically I dare say - that with all that's happened, things will never be right between him and most supporters, and this is the best way forward. I don't know what the chances are of everything falling into place in the way Ashley hopes, but the overall intention seems pretty reasonable in what is a very messy situation.

A lot depends on how realistic the plan is in view of our financial position, but it may also flounder on new owners not fancying taking on Shearer and the power he wields through his popularity. They may see a repeat of the Keegan fiasco further down the line and say no thanks, but that's another consideration.

A lot depends on how realistic the plan is in view of our financial position, but it may also flounder on new owners not fancying taking on Shearer and the power he wields through his popularity. They may see a repeat of the Keegan fiasco further down the line and say no thanks, but that's another consideration.

Whilst I can see your point, if the new owners come in and turn Shearer away they'll already be seen negatively by the fans - they'd have to come up with a brilliant appointment to get a large number of fans back onside. And let's face it, that's unlikely to happen given the divison we are in.

That does beg the question though, how much of a chance do you give the new owners? If they don't want Shearer but offer us financial stability, where does that leave us? They'd live or die by their first appointment, really.

Guest sicko2ndbest

All quiet on the eastern front, the mornings newspapers rehashing old quotes.

Dont expect to hear anything today!

D-Day = Dead Day

I'm not a business person, but if I've understood it right, this plan that's been put to the banks is based on Shearer's proposals, and would be part of the package for whoever took over from Ashley. The hope presumably is that Shearer would be put in place now, and be able to begin the task of team-building without delay, and the new owner who might come along further down the line would know what they were getting into financially and on the managerial front. Shearer in place could make the club more attractive, most supporters would be happy and the price of the club would reflect the business plan that was in place.

Ashley has concluded - realistically I dare say - that with all that's happened, things will never be right between him and most supporters, and this is the best way forward. I don't know what the chances are of everything falling into place in the way Ashley hopes, but the overall intention seems pretty reasonable in what is a very messy situation.

It's this sort of thinking that has got us into this mess in the first place. What has been needed is some form of positive action to get the club moving forward on the pitch, not more balancing of the books or fiddling in the hope some used car salesman can flog the club (again).

I'm sure i read when "the clubs for sale" story broke, that the banks decision was crucial in selling the club ie. It's a much more attractive proposition with the financial structure in a more sound position.

Maybe if we get some good news today then it might have a snowball effect on the selling of the club. (Finger's crossed smiley thingy).

Fuck you Mike Ashley.

Using a stanley knife?

For me, the thing I can't wait to see is who breaks the news if there is any today? Dave's at Alton Towers. :pow:

Can see him using his mobile internet to post when on the top of the big dipper...for maximum signal of course. 

Friday, 5 June 2009

What makes you think Ashley wants to rebuild? Administration looks more likely to me.

I still don't see the point of that.  How does administration help Ashley?

Friday, 5 June 2009

I still don't see the point of that.  How does administration help Ashley?

I think he means the likely way this is heading. Ashley doesn't want to rebuild he wants out, but nothing is happening and were more likely to head in to Admin than find a buyer under Ashley due to Ashley's incompetence.