Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

Guest Darth Toon

It certainly seems he's willing to stay, but I've said it before - anyone who underestimates Mike Ashley's ability to fuck this up hasn't been paying attention.....

It certainly seems he's willing to stay, but I've said it before - anyone who underestimates Mike Ashley's ability to fuck this up hasn't been paying attention.....

Yep....Ashley's penny pinching has potential to be the X Factor. Don't take anything for granted is my motto. Incidentally it's fantastic how different news outlets are spinning the same interviews to suggest Shearer is staying/leaving without having the slightest clue either way.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/budgets-will-decide-future-for-shearer-1689146.html

Budgets will decide future for Shearer

Caretaker manager to make decision next week in talks with owner Ashley

By Michael Walker

Friday, 22 May 2009

Next Tuesday has emerged as the beginning of a 48-hour period that should define whether Alan Shearer is asked by owner Mike Ashley to become manager of Newcastle United on a permanent basis. Talks between the two men, and with managing director Derek Llambias, have been planned to begin then, although all three have been involved in ongoing discussions throughout Shearer's eight-game contract.

Shearer's commitment to Newcastle is not in question – and he has postponed his summer holiday – but his ability to perform the sort of transformation required at St James' Park is heavily dependent on finance. Ashley has questions to answer from Shearer on budgets even if Newcastle survive.

Should Sunday be successful only for Shearer to be told that he has to sell to buy, then it is doubtful he will stay. Ashley, moreover, has a question to answer about the longer term. Shearer wants stability: constant speculation about takeovers needs to end.

Contractually Shearer's remit ends on Sunday at Aston Villa but his instinct is long-term and it seems unlikely that Ashley would remove Dennis Wise to facilitate Shearer's arrival, then allow Shearer to dispense with the club doctor weeks into the job if Ashley's thinking was not similar. There is evidence of long-termism, just no statement of it.

The embryonic relationship between the two is cordial. "I'd only met him a couple of times from the outside, so didn't really know him that much, only to say hello to," Shearer said of Ashley last week.

"Obviously I've had more dealings with him in the past few weeks but everything's been done as I asked, and as he asked. There hasn't been a tremendous amount of dialogue, all that's been going on is how we can try to improve things on the pitch."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/budgets-will-decide-future-for-shearer-1689146.html

Budgets will decide future for Shearer

Caretaker manager to make decision next week in talks with owner Ashley

By Michael Walker

Friday, 22 May 2009

Next Tuesday has emerged as the beginning of a 48-hour period that should define whether Alan Shearer is asked by owner Mike Ashley to become manager of Newcastle United on a permanent basis. Talks between the two men, and with managing director Derek Llambias, have been planned to begin then, although all three have been involved in ongoing discussions throughout Shearer's eight-game contract.

Shearer's commitment to Newcastle is not in question – and he has postponed his summer holiday – but his ability to perform the sort of transformation required at St James' Park is heavily dependent on finance. Ashley has questions to answer from Shearer on budgets even if Newcastle survive.

Should Sunday be successful only for Shearer to be told that he has to sell to buy, then it is doubtful he will stay. Ashley, moreover, has a question to answer about the longer term. Shearer wants stability: constant speculation about takeovers needs to end.

Contractually Shearer's remit ends on Sunday at Aston Villa but his instinct is long-term and it seems unlikely that Ashley would remove Dennis Wise to facilitate Shearer's arrival, then allow Shearer to dispense with the club doctor weeks into the job if Ashley's thinking was not similar. There is evidence of long-termism, just no statement of it.

The embryonic relationship between the two is cordial. "I'd only met him a couple of times from the outside, so didn't really know him that much, only to say hello to," Shearer said of Ashley last week.

"Obviously I've had more dealings with him in the past few weeks but everything's been done as I asked, and as he asked. There hasn't been a tremendous amount of dialogue, all that's been going on is how we can try to improve things on the pitch."

Has to be utter balls.

Yes there will be meetings, that's not news, but none of them will have been planned or relying on any set budgets yet considering that so much depends on Sunday.

Sky Bet guy on SSN now. Shearer is 4/9 to stay on next season come what may.

Kinnear is 5/1 to return.

The thing that does it for me isn't what Shearer (or Dowie) has said, it's what Kinnear hasn't said - the guy is renowned for shooting his mouth off, and spouting utter fucking tripe about everything. If he knew he was coming back, you bet he'd have told the press by now. If he wasn't sure, he'd have probably said that as well. The fact he's said nothing says to me that we won't be seeing him as manager anymore, you just know he'd have come out with some Billy Liar-esque quotes if there was even a 1% chance he was coming back.

Or maybe Ashley and Llambias have told him to keep his mouth shut until they know what division we're playing in next season.

The thing that does it for me isn't what Shearer (or Dowie) has said, it's what Kinnear hasn't said - the guy is renowned for shooting his mouth off, and spouting utter fucking tripe about everything. If he knew he was coming back, you bet he'd have told the press by now. If he wasn't sure, he'd have probably said that as well. The fact he's said nothing says to me that we won't be seeing him as manager anymore, you just know he'd have come out with some Billy Liar-esque quotes if there was even a 1% chance he was coming back.

Or maybe Ashley and Llambias have told him to keep his mouth shut until they know what division we're playing in next season.

Billy Liar? :lol:

Jesus it sends a shudder down the spine thinking back on the collection of buffoons we have had running the club this season.

Billy Liar? :lol:

Jesus it sends a shudder down the spine thinking back on the collection of buffoons we have had running the club this season.

I'm sick of people saying he's like Walter Mitty - Billy Liar is a better film for a start. :thup:

I still actually can't believe we gave the job to Kinnear... and then managed to let our situation worsen from there by letting Hughton remain in charge for so long.

My heart says Shearer will stay but my head tells me to remember who are owner is and his track record of decision making and I find it hard to not envisage Kinnear returning to steer a path to mid table (in the championship).

think you're onto something there pilko - maybe shearer pointed out in their discussions how much of a total and utter joke kinnear is and in the event shearer doesn't take charge they'd be mental to take kinnear back

that's what i'd like to think anyways

Even though most people around me at the minute seem to think he's not good enough (which is ridiculous to judge as of now) I think he'll come good for us and we need him at this club. People say it's a no lose situation for him but he's came in with 8 games to go when there's a huge panic within the club and it's simply not enough time to change the mindset of the players. He's a legend but he's no magician and it's a bit unfair to expect him to be with the little amount of time he's been given. He is a strong personality who won't be anybody's mug and for the first time in a while I believe we're in safe hands. As much as I love Keegan, he is a bit of a ticking timebomb when it comes to walking out on clubs.

If Shearer does stay then I'm actually looking forward to seeing which kind of players he'll be looking at bringing in and what kind of team he'll mould together because let's face it, whether we stay up or not there's a lot of work to be done.

Thought he looked really nervous in the interview I saw yesterday on Sky.

I wish I could remember what KK was like and what he said in the build up to that game at Leicester back in 92

I wish I could remember what KK was like and what he said in the build up to that game at Leicester back in 92

"I'm always optimistic, I don't think we'll go down,  but like I said to the lads there's still a game left and we've still gotta go down and get a result, I think they're capable of doing it. I've always believed in them, even through the bad times, we have had games were we haven't quite done ourselves justice. We'll go to Leicester and with that effort, and the sort of effort we give with 8 men, 9 men against Derby we'll get something. Then we'll survive and then we can start looking at how we can turn this magnificent club around."

"I'm always optimistic, I don't think we'll go down,  but like I said to the lads there's still a game left and we've still gotta go down and get a result, I think they're capable of doing it. I've always believed in them, even through the bad times, we have had games were we haven't quite done ourselves justice. We'll go to Leicester and with that effort, and the sort of effort we give with 8 men, 9 men against Derby we'll get something. Then we'll survive and then we can start looking at how we can turn this magnificent club around."

:thup: Cheers Tooj

:thup: Cheers Tooj

major difference?  no-one believes in our squad of dickheads anymore - not even themselves from what i can see

major difference?  no-one believes in our squad of dickheads anymore - not even themselves from what i can see

Aye. All Shearer can do is repeat it in an effort to massage their ego's and to maybe just get that little bit extra out of them for one last effort.

[/Grasps Straws]

Some presenter on TalkSport - Matthew Norman - has just said "And Newcastle fans. Are you going to call in to defend the hiring of Alan Shearer as Manager by your Chairman Mike Ashley even though it looks like that appointment is going to mean your going to get relegated!

Fuck me ! Where to they find these people.