Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

Surely Ashley must look to keep Shearer in the job. If not Shearer then who? I really don't see a feasible alternative because we need the fans totally behind the team from day one next season and a disappointing appointment instead of Shearer would most likely end in tears.

The crux of the matter as far as I'm concerned is Ashely and Shearer reaching a sensible agreement over a budget. I don't think Shearer is naive enough to walk in and ask him for £50 million, but I do think he needs some raw material to work with. I just hope Shearer stays but I'm not holding my breath.

I think it's sad that the whole concept that the fans wouldn't be behind the team from day one by default, is even considered a credible one. Is everyone going to stop supporting NUFC if Alan Shearer isn't our manager at the beginning of next season? I know they're not, but there is definitely a kind of xenophobia at our club which hinders our progress because anyone deigned not to have a "true" bond to the club is always treated as an outsider and therefore doesn't get the same treatment as those who are considered to have.

Or maybe its because we have been let down by pretty much every manager who has came into the job without ties to Newcastle.

Guest helios_centric

Surely Ashley must look to keep Shearer in the job. If not Shearer then who? I really don't see a feasible alternative because we need the fans totally behind the team from day one next season and a disappointing appointment instead of Shearer would most likely end in tears.

The crux of the matter as far as I'm concerned is Ashely and Shearer reaching a sensible agreement over a budget. I don't think Shearer is naive enough to walk in and ask him for £50 million, but I do think he needs some raw material to work with. I just hope Shearer stays but I'm not holding my breath.

I think it's sad that the whole concept that the fans wouldn't be behind the team from day one by default, is even considered a credible one. Is everyone going to stop supporting NUFC if Alan Shearer isn't our manager at the beginning of next season? I know they're not, but there is definitely a kind of xenophobia at our club which hinders our progress because anyone deigned not to have a "true" bond to the club is always treated as an outsider and therefore doesn't get the same treatment as those who are considered to have.

I don't think wanting Shearer to be the manager makes us insular or xenophobic at all. I think he's the best man for the job in terms of being a realistic target and understanding what is required. The bond with the club is just a bonus as far as I'm concerned. I also think that if someone crap is appointed and not Shearer then a hell of a lot of tickets will stay unsold.

I detest this recent often cited allegation that Geordies all want 11 locals running around the pitch under a Geordie manager. I really resent the way people thrust this at us the whole time, but we can add it to the list of cliches people have heaped upon us lately I suppose.

I really don't imagine there are many better candidates out there to be manager than Shearer.

If we could get a proven top class manager to take over then that'd be the way to go, but how likely is that when we're no longer a Premiership club? Not very would be my guess, particularly with the clowns we'd have trying to make the appointment.

Hoping Ashley will agree to Shearer's vision for the club and support him in what he wants to do.

If not, we won't be a Premiership club again for a long time.

Aside from the Shearer debate, I haven't got a bloody clue who else Ashley and Llambias would go for and I bet they don't either.

Redknapp (doing well at a club slowing down), Keegan (club legend), Venables (mate of Wise etc), Kinnear (see Venables), Shearer (see Keegan). All obvious as fuck. Where would they go next? Bobby Robson?

Guest firetotheworks

They'd go for a yesterdays man I think. Basing that on little, because theres little to go on.

Aside from the Shearer debate, I haven't got a bloody clue who else Ashley and Llambias would go for and I bet they don't either.

Redknapp (doing well but at a club slowing down), Keegan (club legend), Venables (mate of Wise etc), Kinnear (see Venables), Shearer (see Keegan). All obvious as f***. Where would they go next? Bobby Robson?

Ron Atkinson, George Graham, Glen Hoddle, David O'Leary or maybe homecoming hero Frank Clarke?

We could probably attract someone like Martinez though, or at least I'd like to think we would go for someone like that.

Shearer will be here in August.

I would love that. Can't see it.

Why?

Because you think he'll be the best manager we could get, if so what makes you think this?

or:

Because he's Alan Shearer.

If you were a Man Utd fan and had it your way i am willing to bet Ferguson wouldnt have lasted long.

Shearer (for the most part) unites the fans, always has been a leader, loves the club has had very difficult fixtures, not even a transfer window yet.  If he was seen to be good enough for a relegation dogfight why now should we appoint someone better .. and i ask who is better out there?  If Roy Keane, Mick McCarthy could get teams promoted its achievable for most. 

Also noting we have more resources than every other club in the league.

Again, you've totally missed the point. Alex Ferguson was NOT a novice manager when he took over at Man Utd, he had a track record, a successful track record. This is not the same situation at all, you're trying to argue against me by using something that is totally irrelevant to what I'm saying. I am NOT saying that whoever is appointed as manager of NUFC this summer should not be given time to put their plans in place and see them through to fruition, I have always argued in favour of that. The thing that you are ignoring is that we are not at that stage yet. The question at the moment is: Who should be the next manager of Newcastle United? Alan Shearer is not our manager, we don't have a manager. Once we do, then I definitely agree that whoever that is should be given an opportunity to bring success to the club, but that's not where we are yet. You're assuming that Shearer being the manager is a fait accompli, it isn't. We have an opportunity to appoint a new manager now and what I'm arguing is that we should be looking for the best man for the job, regardless of who that turns out to be. Nobody knows if Alan Shearer is the best man for the job because he has no track record for us to base that view upon, and that's reason enough for us to look for someone else, in my opinion.

So far the only relevant logical arguments that I've seen make in favour of Shearer are that he's good at dealing with the press and that he's instilled a bit of discipline. Well dealing with the press isn't going to get us 3 points each week and surely maintaining a bit of discipline should be a given for any manager!?! Just because we've had previous managers that haven't even been able to do that very basic thing, doesn't mean that we should hold that up as an example of Shearer's managerial genius. I could fine players for being late to training for fuck's sake it doesn't mean I'm the right man for NUFC, does it!?!

Thanks anyway, Alan. I hold no blame on this man at all tbh. If that's being sensitive to the fact he's a club legend, and my absolute hero, then i don't really care. If we're down now, we were down before he came in.

And fwiw, as this seems to be the debate atm... if Shearer isn't our manager next season then i reckon Dowie will be.

That said, i do think Shearer will stay on.

Or maybe its because we have been let down by pretty much every manager who has came into the job without ties to Newcastle.

We've been let down by pretty much every manager who's come into the job, full-stop. The only difference is that you're willing to ignore it if they happen to have some ties to the club. Keegan let us down too, remember. Twice. Roeder had ties to the club and all. How does that fit in with your view?

We've been let down by pretty much every manager who's come into the job, full-stop. The only difference is that you're willing to ignore it if they happen to have some ties to the club. Keegan let us down too, remember. Twice. Roeder had ties to the club and all. How does that fit in with your view?

I wouldn't exactly say Keegan let us down during his first stint as manager like. But if that's your take on it.

I wouldn't exactly say Keegan let us down during his first stint as manager like. But if that's your take on it.

Keegan didnt dissapoint.

Robson didnt.

Roeder got an unlikely European spot and a good European run.

There.

I really don't imagine there are many better candidates out there to be manager than Shearer.

If we could get a proven top class manager to take over then that'd be the way to go, but how likely is that when we're no longer a Premiership club? Not very would be my guess, particularly with the clowns we'd have trying to make the appointment.

Hoping Ashley will agree to Shearer's vision for the club and support him in what he wants to do.

If not, we won't be a Premiership club again for a long time.

Of course there are better candidates out there than an unproven manager with a track record consisting of eight games, most of which were defeats!! If people can forget for a moment that his name is Alan Shearer, then you'll see just how ridiculous that statement is. This is what I mean by the insular thing, everyone's reduced the number of potential managers down to a list consisting of one name. Already, before we've even begun looking!! There's more out there than Alan Shearer, there's more places to look than a list of previous players, than the Premiership, than England, than Europe. Look at where the two best managers in the league came from: Scotland, not even the Old Firm, Aberdeen; and Japan, Japan for fuck's sake, do people seriously not think we could attract someone from the fucking J-League!?!

There's loads of potential candidates out there, it's whether or not we actually go and look for them or just go with the easy option and appoint Shearer uncontested. If he is the best that we can get then fine, but let's not assume that without even looking at the alternatives first.

Keegan didnt dissapoint.

Robson didnt.

There.

Keegan walked out on us twice.

Roeder had some success, but if he was so great why isn't he our manager now?

Robson didn't, I agree.

Keegan didnt dissapoint.

Robson didnt.

There.

Robson didn't, I agree.

Keegan let us down by leaving us in a better position?  Twice.

He didn't whilst he was our manager, but how was walking out on us like that not letting us down?

I know it's pretty much considered sacrilegious to say this, but he definitely let us down the second time.

He didn't whilst he was our manager, but how was walking out on us like that not letting us down?

I know it's pretty much considered sacrilegious to say this, but he definitely let us down the second time.

We've been over the second one far too often. But for the first time I was devastated when he left, but by no means will I say he let us down simply for what he done for us.

Keegan didnt dissapoint.

Robson didnt.

There.

Robson didn't, I agree.

Keegan let us down by leaving us in a better position?  Twice.

Twice?

First time yes, but walking out mid season was a let down for definite.

Second time he left us totally in the shit. It wasn't all his making, but still, he decided to walk away rather than stay and sort it out and that's a let down in my book.

Maybe he did but he was hardly proved wrong was he?

We've been over the second one far too often. But for the first time I was devastated when he left, but by no means will I say he let us down simply for what he done for us.

I can appreciate what he did for us and still feel let down that he left like that.

Wasn't proved right either though.

Anyway, none of this is really relevant to anything now, that's the past and we need to get beyond it and start looking to the future.

Wasn't proved right either though.

Anyway, none of this is really relevant to anything now, that's the past and we need to get beyond it and start looking to the future.

I think he was proved right. Can you compare the football we played under a happy Keegan to the dross we've witnessed since?