Iain Dowie confirmed as joining Shearer's coaching staff

lovejoy

Why not? Hughton press conferences are a joke anyway.

That avatar :lol: :lol: :lol:

Googling for 'ian dowie' from my location gives me 'Image results for ian dowie' as the top result, with three versions of that picture and a fourth in which he has the exact same expression but a different shirt on.

Edit: in fact, he looks like that in all the pictures of him, except the ones that are of other people.

Guest Howaythetoon

By the way, the Dowie appointment... could indicate many things about the long-term under Shearer and just what type of manager he will be. Dowie is like Big Sam when it comes to the modern side of the game as he's interested in the stats, the fitness, the physiology etc. whereas I don't think Shearer is into all that. Ying and yang and all that. It wouldn't surprise me if Hughton and Calderwood also followed Wise once the season ends and other Shearer people get appointed. At talk ins whenever Shearer as manager gets mentioned the likes of Beardsley, Beresford and Barton in particular all seemed to believe he would be big on backroom staff, allowing him to do what he's good at while having the people around to do what he's not so good at. Dowie... I bet everyone would have tipped Rob Lee. Shows a thinking of outside the box and independent thinking too. I.e. not a job for the boys type manager ala Souness with Saunders.

Dowie isn't there as a tutor like (if he is there). I don't know but i bet it can be a benefit, in some respects, having conflicting ideas from the two main men. I quite like the sound of Dowie coming in tbh; has ever simply been a 'coach'? I can only ever remember him as a manager so it's a canny bit of experience to have alongside Shearer.

Dowie isn't there as a tutor like (if he is there). I don't know but i bet it can be a benefit, in some respects, having conflicting ideas from the two main men. I quite like the sound of Dowie coming in tbh; has ever simply been a 'coach'? I can only ever remember him as a manager so it's a canny bit of experience to have alongside Shearer.

I'm guessing you've not seen the confirmation yet.

Guest Howaythetoon

I know, didn't realise there was a Dowie thread, hoping people post about Dowie, what he brings to the table, what his appointment means or could mean etc.

I'm guessing you've not seen the confirmation yet.

Ah. :thup:  Good stuff. Decent little coaching set up we're looking at now tbh imo. Having Hughton and Calderwood as "3rd and 4th", as opposed to the main men shows a decent bit of strength in depth, or whatever you want to call it. Exciting times. :)

I'm getting this weird sensation flowing through me. Relaxation, i think it's called. The hard work is still to do, i know, but i feel a lot more comfortable than i did 24 hours ago. 24 hours ago i was resigned to relegation. Quite the opposite now. :aww: 

By the way, the Dowie appointment... could indicate many things about the long-term under Shearer and just what type of manager he will be. Dowie is like Big Sam when it comes to the modern side of the game as he's interested in the stats, the fitness, the physiology etc. whereas I don't think Shearer is into all that. Ying and yang and all that. It wouldn't surprise me if Hughton and Calderwood also followed Wise once the season ends and other Shearer people get appointed. At talk ins whenever Shearer as manager gets mentioned the likes of Beardsley, Beresford and Barton in particular all seemed to believe he would be big on backroom staff, allowing him to do what he's good at while having the people around to do what he's not so good at. Dowie... I bet everyone would have tipped Rob Lee. Shows a thinking of outside the box and independent thinking too. I.e. not a job for the boys type manager ala Souness with Saunders.

I quite liked some of the things he was doing at Crystal Palace. Like getting the players playing cricket together during training.

Just gave me the impression that he thought abut things and that he didnt just go through the motions in training and tried to try different things to keep the day to day stuff interesting.

EDIT.. already  :dowie:  :lol:

Even though Palace ultimately went down, atleast he's got the experience of actually being in this situation. It was on the very last day that it was actually confirmed, and they were quite unlucky from what i remember. The experience will undoubtedly help; and this squad is a hell of a lot better than the one they had back then.

:dowie:  :smitten:

Very impressed with this appointment. Impressed with Shearer's thinking, and impressed with whoever was behind all this from inside the club. Be it Ashley himself, or Llambias, or a new investor. Brilliant stuff if you ask me