Iain Dowie confirmed as joining Shearer's coaching staff

lovejoy

Just a thought, but wouldn't Dowie be a BBC chum?

I imagine they've spoke before, yes. Dowie's been working for Sky Sports since he got sacked from QPR so we best get Townsend and McManaman in then we've got somebody from ITV and Setanta too.

I thought they were at the Euros together and sometimes did MOTD2?

They were, but Shearer will have known him from the Southampton days first and foremost. Obviously Dowie spoke a lot of sense in Shearer's eyes.

By the way, the Dowie appointment... could indicate many things about the long-term under Shearer and just what type of manager he will be. Dowie is like Big Sam when it comes to the modern side of the game as he's interested in the stats, the fitness, the physiology etc. whereas I don't think Shearer is into all that. Ying and yang and all that. It wouldn't surprise me if Hughton and Calderwood also followed Wise once the season ends and other Shearer people get appointed. At talk ins whenever Shearer as manager gets mentioned the likes of Beardsley, Beresford and Barton in particular all seemed to believe he would be big on backroom staff, allowing him to do what he's good at while having the people around to do what he's not so good at. Dowie... I bet everyone would have tipped Rob Lee. Shows a thinking of outside the box and independent thinking too. I.e. not a job for the boys type manager ala Souness with Saunders.

Agree with most of that, I just hope Dowie doesn't ever get considered for promotion to the no 1 spot if Shearer decides he doesn't want to hang around as manager. Some people just aren't meant to be managers and the temptaion is always there for Chairmen to take the cheap option and promote from within when the proper manager leaves.

By the way, the Dowie appointment... could indicate many things about the long-term under Shearer and just what type of manager he will be. Dowie is like Big Sam when it comes to the modern side of the game as he's interested in the stats, the fitness, the physiology etc. whereas I don't think Shearer is into all that. Ying and yang and all that. It wouldn't surprise me if Hughton and Calderwood also followed Wise once the season ends and other Shearer people get appointed. At talk ins whenever Shearer as manager gets mentioned the likes of Beardsley, Beresford and Barton in particular all seemed to believe he would be big on backroom staff, allowing him to do what he's good at while having the people around to do what he's not so good at. Dowie... I bet everyone would have tipped Rob Lee. Shows a thinking of outside the box and independent thinking too. I.e. not a job for the boys type manager ala Souness with Saunders.

Agree with most of that, I just hope Dowie doesn't ever get considered for promotion to the no 1 spot if Shearer decides he doesn't want to hang around as manager. Some people just aren't meant to be managers and the temptaion is always there for Chairmen to take the cheap option and promote from within when the proper manager leaves.

Which has to be a possibility,I would think.

[move] :dowie: :dowie: :dowie: :dowie: :dowie: :dowie: :dowie: :dowie: :dowie: :dowie: :dowie: :dowie: :dowie: :dowie: :dowie: :dowie: :dowie: :dowie:[/move]

[move] :kinnear: :kinnear: :kinnear: :kinnear: :kinnear: :kinnear: :kinnear: :kinnear: :kinnear: :kinnear: :kinnear: :kinnear: :kinnear: :kinnear: :kinnear: :kinnear:[/move]

[move]:dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin:

:dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin:

:dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin:

:dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin:

:dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin: :dowiespin:

[/move]

[move]:kinnear:[/move]

Dowie has always struck me as being very level headed and straight shooting, pleased he's here.

Indeed, two no nonsense men who know their limits but also their strengths at the helm for the run in. Good stuff.

who was it that once said that Shearer probably wouldn't have a massive amount of patience when coaching players with vastly inferior levels of ability? It's for this reason that it's important we got a man like Dowie in

Quite like Dowie, he was a manager who wasn't afraid to try new things and look into the techinical side of stuff. Glad we have some experience in to help Shearer even if he wasn't the greatest manager ever.