PFA Player of the Year: Ryan Giggs

Frazzle

Guest The Libertine

On average Giggs has played 37 minutes per game this season...

and his fellow midfielders;

Lampard has 19 goals

Gerrard has 21 goals

Ronaldo has 23 goals

Ireland was also conned.

I'd love to see a clip of Giggs' contributions this season. How long would that last, a minute?

You could make a DVD out of Ireland, Jagielka and Vidic's performances.

How long did it take him to score that goal at West Ham?

That long I'd imagine.

Guest firetotheworks

Remember when Cannavaro won player of the tournament in the last World Cup? It's exactly the same 'shit, he's a legend, we better give him something even though he doesn't deserve it' mentality.

Remember when Cannavaro won player of the tournament in the last World Cup? It's exactly the same 'shit, he's a legend, we better give him something even though he doesn't deserve it' mentality.

Dunno, I thought he was immense in a strong Italy side that only conceded two goals during the tournament  (an unfortunate own goal and a penalty)

Didn't Zidane win the golden ball though?

Guest firetotheworks

Remember when Cannavaro won player of the tournament in the last World Cup? It's exactly the same 's***, he's a legend, we better give him something even though he doesn't deserve it' mentality.

Dunno, I thought he was immense in a strong Italy side that only conceded two goals during the tournament  (one of them in the finals).

Actually, my mistake, it was even more ridiculous. Cannavaro won Fifa World Player of the Year for 06, not WC player of the tournament. In 06 Kaka was still pissing all over everyone, how Cannavaro got it I'll never know.

Zidane won player of the tournament for the World Cup, which is probably just about right for his performance against Brazil alone.

Remember when Cannavaro won player of the tournament in the last World Cup? It's exactly the same 's***, he's a legend, we better give him something even though he doesn't deserve it' mentality.

Dunno, I thought he was immense in a strong Italy side that only conceded two goals during the tournament  (one of them in the finals).

Actually, my mistake, it was even more ridiculous. Cannavaro won Fifa World Player of the Year for 06, not WC player of the tournament. In 06 Kaka was still pissing all over everyone, how Cannavaro got it I'll never know.

Zidane won player of the tournament for the World Cup, which is probably just about right for his performance against Brazil alone.

To be fair to Fabio, he was the anchor of three title winning sides during that year.

Guest firetotheworks

To be fair to Fabio, he was the anchor of three title winning sides during that year.

I see your point, and its certainly not a bad one, but I think that was more to do with the team as a whole than Cannavaro. Whereas Kaka was everything as a player at that time, regardless of his team.

I see your point, and its certainly not a bad one, but I think that was more to do with the team as a whole than Cannavaro. Whereas Kaka was everything as a player at that time, regardless of his team.

Kaka, alomg with all the other Brazilians, really failed to produce at the World Cup, so it would have been tough to give to him that year. He definitely earned and was rightly given the award in 2007. I don't know, I'm a big central defender myself, and I like to see us given some credit. People love to praise those soft little playmakers and strikers, but you never hear us getting credit for cleaning up all the messes. Let us have one for once. :lol:

The oddest choice for me is Anelka in the Premiership team of the season. Obviously I've missed something.

Perhaps you've missed that he has scored more goals than everyone bar C.Ronaldo?

The oddest choice for me is Anelka in the Premiership team of the season. Obviously I've missed something.

Perhaps you've missed that he has scored more goals than everyone bar C.Ronaldo?

Well that would be it, but being the second top goalscorer isn't exactly an outstanding achievement. For me, he hasn't looked anything exceptional, and Chelsea improved very noticeably when Drogba came back into form and Anelka got bunged out on to the wing.

On occasions, Rooney has absolutely carried his team this season. I do think there are some players - Bryan Robson and Paul Scholes are other examples - who play to such high standards that their performances are taken for granted and they don't get these awards.

Guest toonlass

Premier League Team of the Year: Edwin van der Sar; Glen Johnson, Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic, Patrice Evra; Ashley Young, Steven Gerrard, Ryan Giggs, Cristiano Ronaldo; Nicolas Anelka, Fernando Torres

Giggs in central midfield. :kinnear:

Ferdinand and Evra. :kinnear: :kinnear:

No Lampard. :kinnear: :kinnear: :kinnear:

How did Shola not get in like?

Well that would be it, but being the second top goalscorer isn't exactly an outstanding achievement. For me, he hasn't looked anything exceptional, and Chelsea improved very noticeably when Drogba came back into form and Anelka got bunged out on to the wing.

On occasions, Rooney has absolutely carried his team this season. I do think there are some players - Bryan Robson and Paul Scholes are other examples - who play to such high standards that their performances are taken for granted and they don't get these awards.

That's very true - and I think there's an element of that in Giggs' award. He's about to play his 800th match, and it's like the membership of the PFA suddenly thought "Holy Shit, how hasn't a champion like him won it once in the past 18 years?"

Okay, so it's more likely that SAF had that thought, told the MUFC PR team, who then sent it out as a spam email to the PFA membership :lol:

I'm not so sure I'dve put Anelka in the team myself, but it's obviously because of his pretty amazing goal scoring form in the first half of this season. As much as Rooney has his merits for basically carrying Man Utd in some games (see Tottenham... well, in association with Howard Webb), Anelka has his merits for doing the plain old goal mooching striker role (even if it turns out that Chelsea's system suits a Drogba style striker more).

How awards should have went IMO.

PFA Player of the year - Steven Gerrard

PFA Young player of the year - Steven Ireland

Team

---------------------Schwarzer------------------

Johnson-------Vidic-------Jagielka-----Evra

Ireland----- Lampard ----- Ronaldo

Gerrard

Rooney--- Torres

Guest Stephen927

SSN showed a couple of clips of Wolves players saying why they voted for him, mainly because he's a legend etc.

I was a huge fan of Giggs in his prime, but no way should he have won it this year. Utter bollocks.