Liverpool - Newcastle United | Sun May 3rd - 1:30pm @ Anfield - Pre Match Thread

Kaizero

Guest Stephen927

Would love to see us be able to have a run of games with the 4-3-3, but Liverpool away and given our situation, we really have to pack the midfield and play one up front. Would be nice to see us go there and try and attack them, but it simply isn't worth the gamble, a point would be massive for us.

Guest Alan_Shearer

Looks like Shearer's been reading this forum. No Shola, no Owen, no Nolan. Wow. A manager with sense.

What you on about? Nolan and Owen are in the squad.

If he's scrapping the 4-3-3 then he's very daft imo. It's blatantly the only formation that'll potentially keep us up.

I appreciate that it's not his team and he's been brought in far too late, but he needs to stop tinkering now like. It's do or die and he's just got to take a punt, pick a formation and go with it. 4-3-3 is the best option, by far iyam.

If he goes 4-3-3 tomorrow, a 3 man midfield of Butt, Nolan and Guthrie/Smith will be absolutely raped off the park by the Liverpool midfield.

Fair enough for the home games, but we need 4-5-1/4-4-2 tomorrow IMO.

Yep, the 4-3-3 will only work against teams we can potentially dominate. Try it against a team like liverpool and we will be looking at 5-0+.

Our midfielders are absolutely useless on the ball. We play 4 at the back and 5 in midfield we'll spend the entire game lumping it up to the front man, losing the ball & trying to stop them from scoring.

No one will be capable enough to track gerrard, alonso etc so we'll just get cut through and lose well.

I still think we've a better chance if we attack, cant see us stopping them scoring. Go for something like 3-4-3 and maybe when we lump it up we'll actually get the odd chance ourselves.

Guest palnese

Our midfielders are absolutely useless on the ball. We play 4 at the back and 5 in midfield we'll spend the entire game lumping it up to the front man, losing the ball & trying to stop them from scoring.

No one will be capable enough to track gerrard, alonso etc so we'll just get cut through and lose well.

I still think we've a better chance if we attack, cant see us stopping them scoring. Go for something like 3-4-3 and maybe when we lump it up we'll actually get the odd chance ourselves.

Barton and Guthrie?

Saying that, though, there's a few inaccuracies in that article... so probably best not take it as gospel (as always with paper shite).

Here's my attempt at second-guessing AS for tomorrow (has there ever been a manager harder to predict!?) 4-5-1.

Harper

Beye        Coloccini        Bassong        Duff

Smith        Butt        Barton

Jonas                                       Lovenkrands

Martins

SUBS: Krul, Edgar, R. Taylor, Nolan, Guthrie, Viduka, Owen.

Viduka up front on his own is surely not going to happen? Oba as a lone ranger (if fit enough of course) supported by others has looked good at times this season against the big teams.

Stoke, Fulham, West Ham, Hull, Everton, Manchester City and Arsenal have got a point from Anfield this season.

Hope? :neutral:

Throw in the fact we've got points at 3 of the 4 top-six clubs we've played this season away from home and why not?

Stoke, Fulham, West Ham, Hull, Everton, Manchester City and Arsenal have got a point from Anfield this season.

Throw in the fact we've got points at 3 of the 4 top-six clubs we've played this season away from home and why not?

:dowie:

:dowie:

Man Utd - got a point.

Chelsea - got a point.

Everton - got a point.

Arsenal - got beat.

As a sobering point, Real Madrid got beat 4-0.

Thanks for the spoiler. I was going to watch this later on. as had SKY+d it. :thdn:

to be fair mate a football forum isnt the best place to avoid seeing the result.

have i just been whooshed?

Mail now reckons he's dropped for Lovenkrands.

It's also reporting the Torres hamstring injury that was mentioned on here, saying he's barely been able to train over the last 3 days.

Humiliation for Owen: Striker dropped for Lovenkrands as Shearer hopes for an Anfield miracle

hughton did the same v arsenal at home

Being dropped for Lovenkrands is humiliating?  What does Lovenkrands have to say about that I wonder? :lol:

By the way does anyone know when Gerrard got back to full training?  He hasn't played a game since his injury has he?

If Torres is out that's a big boost, he's scored 5 in his last 5 afterall.  We'll still probably lose but maybe now we won't lose by as many goals :)