Liverpool - Newcastle United | Sun May 3rd - 1:30pm @ Anfield - Pre Match Thread

Kaizero

Guest neesy111

i'm going to say a draw, i'm guessing man utd play at the saturday so basically this will be pointless for them as man utd would be a win away from the title if they win

i would go same back 4

then

smith   butt guthrie   nolan barton

martins

I would expect a game tracker to look like this

12'   YC      Butt

16'   YC      Smith

24'   YC      Barton

25'   Sub    Torres rep by Babel

28'   Sub    Alonso rep by Lucas

34'  Arrest Barton by Pc Walton. ABH,GBH,Attempted murder.

43'   YC      Nolan

2nd half

56'   2nd YC   Smith   down to 10

57'   Sub    Lucas Rep by el zhar

66'   Liverpool also down to 10 after an injury

78'   YC     Bassong

89'   0-1    Martins

FT

fyp

Maybe WE should take the piss and put Harper upfront to see what happens, in his full goalie gear.

Whenever we get the ball we should hoof it out for a throw, can't see them getting anywhere if we do that for 85 minutes. Then BAM we play it through to Harper when they least expect it, takes it round Reina and slams it into the empty net. Flawless plan.

Maybe WE should take the piss and put Harper upfront to see what happens, in his full goalie gear.

Whenever we get the ball we should hoof it out for a throw, can't see them getting anywhere if we do that for 85 minutes. Then BAM we play it through to Harper when they least expect it, takes it round Reina and slams it into the empty net. Flawless plan.

however if they kick off we'll be chasing the game anyway.

Good to see you back Joe.

:kinnear:

Play 4-5-1 for this

Harper

Beye  Colo  Bassong  Duff

Guthrie  Barton  Smith  Jonas

Owen

Viduka

God can't believe i'm putting Smith in the starting line up

however if they kick off we'll be chasing the game anyway.

OK, how about this. Get two academy players to stand beside Reina for the whole game and call him names.

GK - Harper

RB - Beye

LB - Edgar

CB - Coloccini

CB - Bassong

LW - Duff

CM - Guthrie

CM - Smith

CM - Butt

RW - Jonas

CF - Owen

And hold out. Full backs don't overlap and just stay where they are the whole game. Basically try and do what Chelsea did against Barca whilst also overrunning the midfield with 5 in there. 1 point is better than we would have expected and will mean we would only be technically 1 point worse off then what people had hoped for before the Portsmouth game.

GK - Harper

RB - Beye

LB - Edgar

CB - Coloccini

CB - Bassong

LW - Duff

CM - Guthrie

CM - Smith

CM - Butt

RW - Jonas

CF - Owen

And hold out. Full backs don't overlap and just stay where they are the whole game. Basically try and do what Chelsea did against Barca whilst also overrunning the midfield with 5 in there. 1 point is better than we would have expected and will mean we would only be technically 1 point worse off then what people had hoped for before the Portsmouth game.

The catch is, we'd probably still lose anyway and it's yet another formation to flummox our collection of overpaid wankers, only to go back to the 4-3-3 in the home games.

I say stick with the 4-3-3 and contain them that way. The beauty of the formation is that it is so diverse; it doesn't have to be super-attacking. And if we continue with Butt and Smith in the middle then we might achieve a decent bit of defensive protection.

Interesting that people are naming Viduka and Owen as lone strikers. I definitely think we should play one up front but I think Martins or Carroll would be a lot more suitable in this game. Its very likely that we will be pegged back for most of the game and I just can't see Owen having any effect whatsoever. I'm not convinced Viduka would contribute much either with his lack of fitness up there on his own. He will hold the ball up all day but if we do manage to create anything I don't think he'll be there in the box to finish it off. If we are to score i think it will be on the counter attack and for that reason I'd consider Martins or Carroll better options. Martins gives us that bit pace and he can stretch then on the attack and he might just pull out a wonder strike (he's certainly due one), while Carroll would offer some strength and height plus he'll work hard.

4-3-3, rest Martins for the home games and play Lovenkrands. Make sure Lovenkrands works the channels, something we didn't do enough on Monday. If it was up to me Geremi would play too but I think that ship has sailed. So we're looking at:

Harper

Beye Colo Bassong Edgar

Butt

Smith Duff

Owen

Viduka Lovenkrands

So you've got the back 4 which just sit and don't over commit, Edgar in for his height against Kuyt. It will basically end up with Butt and Smith sitting in front of the back 4, Duff milling about aimlessly as usual. Lovenkrands working the channels should pull a centre half out with him and that gives Viduka and Owen some extra space to work in. Problem we'll have is if the full backs just sit there is no width whatsover, and we'll soon get pressed off the ball as Mascherano/Alonso/Gerrard go mental.

Doubt Martins will play, he's refusing injections so doubt he'll be fit for all the run up, he was holding his groin and hardly moving towards the end but wasn't taken off (before we made the last sub) Viduka I can only assume was taken off so he's fit for Liverpool and martins will be on the bench for that game.

Guest north shields lad

I know ive said somthing similar last time we played  :dowie:

But i have a feeling we will get atleast a point from this, although saying that i had a large bet that e would beat Portsmouth, and have also had other bets that we stay up and Hull go down.

HAVE FAITH

--------------Harper

Beye-----Colo------Bass------Duff

------Smith--------------Butt

----------------Jonas

----------------Owen

-----Oba------------------Loven

or

--------------Harper

Beye--Tayls--Colo--bass---Duff

------Butt----Barton----Smith

---------------Jonas

----------------Oba

I know ive said somthing similar last time we played  :dowie:

But i have a feeling we will get atleast a point from this, although saying that i had a large bet that e would beat Portsmouth, and have also had other bets that we stay up and Hull go down.

HAVE FAITH

There isn't really that much difference between us and them.