Liverpool - Newcastle United | Sun May 3rd - 1:30pm @ Anfield - Pre Match Thread

Kaizero

Liverpool  striker Fernando Torres is left out of the squad, with Dirk Kuyt and Yossi Benayoun up front, while Steven Gerrard returns after four matches out with a groin injury.

Newcastle leave Michael Owen on the bench and start with a three-man attack of Mark Viduka, Peter Lovenkrands and Obafemi Martins, while Joey Barton returns in midfield for the first time since 28 January.

with that team, if we are clinical i reckon we can give them back the scoreline they took from our patch.

Another good team selection. We will probably lose but we are going for it

Guest Phil K

Benayoun's more a danger than Kuyt in my opinion

That said, Livepuddle could play half a team and beat our lot.

Guest Stephen927

Good to see Owen dropped to the bench. With Mark Viduka up top with 2 pacey players alongside him, it does look like Shearer is preferring to go with a counter attacking style of play. Barton back in midfield is a huge bonus, will be interesting to see who will be playing alongside him (unless it's already been confirmed?)

:clap2:

TEAMS

LFC: Pepe Reina, Daniel Agger, Steven Gerrard, Albert Riera, Fabio Aurelio, Xabi Alonso, Yossi Benayoun, Alvaro Arbeloa, Dirk Kuyt, Javier Mascherano, Jamie Carragher

Subs: Diego Cavalieri, Andrea Dossena, Ryan Babel, Lucas, David Ngog, Nabil El Zhar, Martin Skrtel

NUFC: Steve Harper, Habib Beye, Damien Duff, Sebastien Bassong, Fabricio Coloccini, Nicky Butt ©, Alan Smith, Joey Barton, Peter Lovenkrands, Oba Martins, Mark Viduka

Subs: Tim Krul, Kevin Nolan, Michael Owen, Danny Guthrie, Andy Carroll, David Edgar, Jonas Gutierrez

Good to see Owen dropped to the bench. With Mark Viduka up top with 2 pacey players alongside him, it does look like Shearer is preferring to go with a counter attacking style of play. Barton back in midfield is a huge bonus, will be interesting to see who will be playing alongside him (unless it's already been confirmed?)

:clap2:

no

the bbc are confirming our team like last season's kit, bit by bit. Still dont know who barton is in for

Guest Stephen927

TEAMS

LFC: Pepe Reina, Daniel Agger, Steven Gerrard, Albert Riera, Fabio Aurelio, Xabi Alonso, Yossi Benayoun, Alvaro Arbeloa, Dirk Kuyt, Javier Mascherano, Jamie Carragher

Subs: Diego Cavalieri, Andrea Dossena, Ryan Babel, Lucas, David Ngog, Nabil El Zhar, Martin Skrtel

NUFC: Steve Harper, Habib Beye, Damien Duff, Sebastien Bassong, Fabricio Coloccini, Nicky Butt ©, Alan Smith, Joey Barton, Peter Lovenkrands, Oba Martins, Mark Viduka

Subs: Tim Krul, Kevin Nolan, Michael Owen, Danny Guthrie, Andy Carroll, David Edgar, Jonas Gutierrez

Doesn't look like they will have as much of a threat down the right, so Duff at left back shouldn't be as exposed (though he did well at left back under Glenn Roeder).

I think Jonas and Owen will be making an appearance come 60 minutes.. or at least Jonas. Could be effective and it's one of the only times I've been happy with him being on the bench.

It's 4-3-3 in all but name. I can't see Oba putting in the defensive work that Jonas would have but at least we've got a real goal threat on the counter.

reasonably pleased, smith over guthrie though, lunacy

Smith was streets ahead of Guthrie on Monday night. Guthrie couldn't keep the ball for shit in the second half where Smith very rarely lost possession.

Quite impressed with that selection, in theory! Dear me... go away hope.

:lol:

Isn't it always the way. Hopefully we do alright today because I fancy our chances against Boro much more with Barton and without Owen.

Need to get in hard in Gerrard early on. Because he's a fucking wanker.

fyp

Be on the look out for him going over to his favourite spot to take a free kick from and throwing himself to the ground screaming injustice as usual, in spite of the fact they could easily beat us by just knocking in a few goals from open play anway.