Liverpool - Newcastle United | Sun May 3rd - 1:30pm @ Anfield - Pre Match Thread

Kaizero

We'll get more chance this game tbh Liverpool will play to win and i'd stick with 4-3-3 and attack them back. No point in going for the point imo, Jonas and Barton should start alongside either Guthrie or Smith, this will compensate for the lack of movement in the side and Barton will come and get the ball and it may spark all the hiders into life. Fancy we'll get a goal here whether that's enough i'm not sure, but the confidence alone from a goal would be great.

Get Smith to follow Gerrard around all day and make his life hell. Get Bassong to crunch Torres early doors. And someone else to stop Alonso.

smith trying to do the essien shadow job?  :lol:

he'd be off the pitch within minutes

Probably! ;D

Think somebody needs to try though as thats about the only way to stop him short of busting the cunt.

Get Smith to follow Gerrard around all day and make his life hell. Get Bassong to crunch Torres early doors. And someone else to stop Alonso.

smith trying to do the essien shadow job?  :lol:

he'd be off the pitch within minutes

Probably! ;D

Think somebody needs to try though as thats about the only way to stop him short of busting the cunt.

it'd have to be jonas, he's the only one who could keep pace and has the stamina

we know who's fit yet?  personally i'd line up 4-5-1 with whichever back four then:

-------butt------nolan-------

jonas-----smith-----guthrie

-----------oba-----------------

nolan & butt to sit in front of the back 4 and protect, nothing more - a very limited area to roam within

the other three have the job of keeping the middle tight and doubling up with full backs for protection - defend at about 30 yards out the whole time, compress our midfield and defence leaving oba to plough a lone furrow

anything other than a frustration job on our part we're losing badly, do it right we might get lucky and scrape a point

oh and i'd agree with putting a man on gerrard if the rest of our team up to it but they're not

Toon Two Miss Mersey Trip

By Craig Hope

NEWCASTLE United will be without defensive duo Steven Taylor and Jose Enrique for Sunday's trip to Liverpool.

Taylor suffered a reoccurrence of an ankle injury during last month's defeat at Spurs and remains sidelined.

Meanwhile, Enrique pulled up with a hamstring problem against Portsmouth on Monday and he too will not travel to Merseyside.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1644709,00.html

Toon Two Miss Mersey Trip

By Craig Hope

NEWCASTLE United will be without defensive duo Steven Taylor and Jose Enrique for Sunday's trip to Liverpool.

Taylor suffered a reoccurrence of an ankle injury during last month's defeat at Spurs and remains sidelined.

Meanwhile, Enrique pulled up with a hamstring problem against Portsmouth on Monday and he too will not travel to Merseyside.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1644709,00.html

Fudgymcfudgerson, we are screwed, he'll try 343 or something mental.

Are people suggesting we try and hold out against them? When have we ever managed that?

Need to attack, lose 8-4 or something.

I agree, all out attack all guns blazing or we're done for.

In principal it's not a bad idea, but can anybody actually see us making any sort of impact coming out all guns blazing? We can't create chances against poor teams, what chance do we have against a vastly superior Liverpool side?

Gerrard on his own would dominate our 3-man midfield.

Only thing we'll do is leave ourselves exposed and be 2 down after 20 minutes, and possibly get our faces bummed off and ruin our goal difference.

"Rest" Owen and leave Martins up front on his own. Stick 10 men behind the ball and tell Oba to have a shot any time he manages to get a  hold of a clearance. Play three holding midfielders and then Jonas and Smith out wide, with license to get up and support Oba should the chance present itself.

----------------- Harper

Beye ------ Colo ------- Bassong -------- Duff

-------- Guthie --- Butt ----- Nolan

Smith ------------------------------------- Jonas

------------------- Martins

In principal it's not a bad idea, but can anybody actually see us making any sort of impact coming out all guns blazing? We can't create chances against poor teams, what chance do we have against a vastly superior Liverpool side?

Only thing we'll do is leave ourselves exposed and be 2 down after 20 minutes, and possibly get our faces bummed off and ruin our goal difference.

"Rest" Owen and leave Martins up front on his own. Stick 10 men behind the ball and tell Oba to have a shot any time he manages to get a  hold of a clearance. Play three holding midfielders and then Jonas and Smith out wide, with license to get up and support Oba should the chance present itself.

----------------- Harper

If Barton is anywhere near fit he should replace Nolan in that team

----------------- Harper

If Barton is anywhere near fit he should replace Nolan in that team

Give him 30 minutes so he's ready for Boro, or if Shearer feels he can play more then start him by all means, yes.

----------------- Harper

I'd probably play Duff instead of Smith and swap him around with Jonas. Not because I rate Duff but simply the idea of Alan Smith trying to get forward and support actually makes me chuckle.

Guest firetotheworks

The only hope I have for this match is that we keep the goal difference in our favour for the remaining matches after this. Cant see us getting anything from this match at all, in the slightest, ever.

----------------- Harper

I'd probably play Duff instead of Smith and swap him around with Jonas. Not because I rate Duff but simply the idea of Alan Smith trying to get forward and support actually makes me chuckle.

It's Damien Duff man, one place in the starting line-up is too much for the cunt as it is.

The only hope I have for this match is that we keep the goal difference in our favour for the remaining matches after this. Cant see us getting anything from this match at all, in the slightest, ever.

We're Newcastle United, never say never when it comes to us being fully doomed before a match. That's when we get the unlikely draw. Or get beat ten to nothing.

So basically you'd play Jonas instead of Smith? :lol:

I think we'd be foolish to not go 4-3-3. It's blatantly the only formation that is going to win us our home games, irrelative of this one. We'll lose anyway. The only major drawback about the formation against Pompey was that some of the players weren't used to what roles and functions they were supposed to be taking up, notably the front five (ie not Butt). Another game 'getting used to it' will only help us for the games v Boro and Fulham.

So basically you'd play Jonas instead of Smith? :lol:

But Jonas was already in the team.  :razz: