Liverpool - Newcastle United | Sun May 3rd - 1:30pm @ Anfield - Pre Match Thread

Kaizero

I think we'd be foolish to not go 4-3-3. It's blatantly the only formation that is going to win us our home games, irrelative of this one. We'll lose anyway. The only major drawback about the formation against Pompey was that some of the players weren't used to what roles and functions they were supposed to be taking up, notably the front five (ie not Butt). Another game 'getting used to it' will only help us for the games v Boro and Fulham.

I'd agree with that.

I'd probably play Duff instead of Smith and swap him around with Jonas. Not because I rate Duff but simply the idea of Alan Smith trying to get forward and support actually makes me chuckle.

So basically you'd play Jonas instead of Smith? :lol:

But Jonas was already in the team.  :razz:

So was Duff. :lol:

Who are you dropping/bringing in?

I'd probably play Duff instead of Smith and swap him around with Jonas. Not because I rate Duff but simply the idea of Alan Smith trying to get forward and support actually makes me chuckle.

So basically you'd play Jonas instead of Smith? :lol:

But Jonas was already in the team.  :razz:

So was Duff. :lol:

Who are you dropping/bringing in?

Oh shit aye.  :lol:

I think we'd be foolish to not go 4-3-3. It's blatantly the only formation that is going to win us our home games, irrelative of this one. We'll lose anyway. The only major drawback about the formation against Pompey was that some of the players weren't used to what roles and functions they were supposed to be taking up, notably the front five (ie not Butt). Another game 'getting used to it' will only help us for the games v Boro and Fulham.

I'd agree with that.

In theory, yes.

But I'm not sure how much they'll be able to adjust to the system while getting humped for 90 minutes.

I'd agree with that.

In theory, yes.

But I'm not sure how much they'll be able to adjust to the system while getting humped for 90 minutes.

Aye. Plus the fact our goal difference is pretty much our only advantage over the others right now. As Gol says we've never been able to intentionally keep teams at bay but we might have to try after the first 15mins or so...

I think it's a bit of a myth, personally, that it's a formation hell-bent on attack. I'd argue that it's our best defensive formation aswell, and whilst i appreciate the different circumstances, five clean sheets in eight last season attests to that.

I'd agree with that.

In theory, yes.

Aye. Plus the fact our goal difference is pretty much our only advantage over the others right now. As Gol says we've never been able to intentionally keep teams at bay but we might have to try after the first 15mins or so...

We did pretty well against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

Dalglish backs Magpies to stay up

source

Fri 01 May, 08:15 AM

Former Newcastle boss Kenny Dalglish is backing the Magpies achieve Barclays Premier League survival but admits it may come by the narrowest of margins.

Alan Shearer's men face Liverpool at Anfield on Sunday sitting in the relegation zone, three points behind Hull in 17th, but Dalglish believes the rest of the run-in will be kind to the team from the North East.

He said: "I think Newcastle will stay up. They have two home games left against Fulham and Middlesbrough. If they win those it will take them to 37 points. Hull also have Bolton and if they win it will take them to 37 as well. I don't see too many points coming for Hull or Newcastle apart from the ones I have mentioned, so then Newcastle would stay up on goal difference."

Steven Gerrard is set to return aid Liverpool's title challenge, after missing four games with a groin injury, with the prospect of leaders Manchester United being six points clear of the Reds if they win at Middlesbrough on Saturday.

He scored twice in the 5-1 win at St James' Park earlier in the season and is looking to create yet another piece of scoring history.

Gerrard's next goal will be his 118th for Liverpool, placing him joint 12th with Ian St John in the club's all-time list.

And Liverpool are just one goal short of recording 300 in the Premier League under manager Rafael Benitez, with their next goal being their 50th in all competitions at Anfield this season.

Just for good measure, Dirk Kuyt is one goal short of equalling his best season's tally for the club.

Dalglish added: "This is a game that both sides have to win, but Liverpool will know exactly where they stand because Manchester United are playing at Middlesbrough on Saturday.

"It seems that Sir Alex Ferguson is going to make a few changes at Middlesbrough, but he does not put out too many bad sides so it doesn't matter who he fields. But if Middlesbrough get a return from the match then Liverpool will really be left with a big game on Sunday."

I'd agree with that.

In theory, yes.

4-3-3 against Liverpool will end in us getting hammered. What is the point of going toe to toe with our groaning, half dead strikers? Pick one striker to play up front everyone else has to be in midfield in an attempt to strangle the Liverpool midfield.

Probably get another Shearer three at the back job seeing as Taylor and Enrique are oot.

---------------------Harper

-------Beye---------Colo----------Bass

Jonas-------------------------------------Duff

----------------------Butt

-----Smith------------------------Barton

-------------Owen-----------Oba

Hopefully Shearer has learned that it's far less damaging to our overall play to just play four at the back with somebody like Edgar or Ryan Taylor or Duff playing out of position on the left side than it is to try to shoehorn the side into that awful 3-5-2 formation.

Guest north shields lad

Havent read every page so might be posted but the good news is

Torres is out, done his hamstring  :cheesy:

Guest toonlass

Havent read every page so might be posted but the good news is

Torres is out, done his hamstring  :cheesy:

Yeah? Cool, one less threat, I predict 6-0 instead of 9-0.