Newcastle vs Middlesbrough pre-match thread - 11/05/09 (live on Setanta 8pm)

Dave

If we get an early goal I can see us winning with a couple of goals. Just need to score that first goal, and so far we haven't been able to do that. Just read 'boro has lost the most away games this season (along WBA) and only managed to score nine goals on their travels! That said, we can boost the second worst home record in the entire league, worst side is Hull..

I'm going crazy in this prediction, 3-0!

Anyone knows where to see the game in Los Angeles? Preferably somewhere near Hollywood and all the youth hostels...

Butt is the only player that can play that deep midfield role and Smith was miles better than Guthrie against Pompey.

Butt is absolutely woeful, pissed me off no end when Kinnear said a while back "for me he's brilliant" and what pisses me off even more is that the fucking media think he's our best player and we love him.

Butt is the only player that can play that deep midfield role and Smith was miles better than Guthrie against Pompey.

Butt is absolutely woeful, pissed me off no end when Kinnear said a while back "for me he's brilliant" and what pisses me off even more is that the f***ing media think he's our best player and we love him.

:sadnod:

Butt is absolutely woeful, pissed me off no end when Kinnear said a while back "for me he's brilliant" and what pisses me off even more is that the f***ing media think he's our best player and we love him.

He is the only midfielder who can break up opposition play, he still does this pretty well imo, just the other aspects of his game and his psychical attributes that have gone to cack.  Needs replacing in summer but i can see why he is played tbh. 

I agree with you about the media, never understood that, has been going on the whole time he has been here too.

He is the only midfielder who can break up opposition play, he still does this pretty well imo, just the other aspects of his game and his psychical attributes that have gone to cack.  Needs replacing in summer but i can see why he is played tbh. 

I agree with you about the media, never understood that, has been going on the whole time he has been here too.

Don't agree with the bolded part myself. He hasn't got an exceptional ability to read the game, his physical attributes are so poor that he can't break it up with sheer force of will and that impacts negatively on his ability to tackle. His ability to break up play has been propagated largely by the media IMO.

In my mind, the reason we couldn't get the ball back from Pompey in the last 15 minutes after Butt was substituted was down to the low fitness of players returning from injury coupled with a very hard-working [if not somewhat ineffectual] first 75 minutes.

Don't agree with the bolded part myself. He hasn't got an exceptional ability to read the game, his physical attributes are so poor that he can't break it up with sheer force of will and that impacts negatively on his ability to tackle. His ability to break up play has been propagated largely by the media IMO.

In my mind, the reason we couldn't get the ball back from Pompey in the last 15 minutes after Butt was substituted was down to the low fitness of players returning from injury coupled with a very hard-working [if not somewhat ineffectual] first 75 minutes.

I am anything but a fan of Butt, but no one else looks like playing that defensive role ATM. Guthrie has bottled many big matches for me, despite the fact he's clearly got enough talent to walk into this midfield. I am really worried if he plays against boro he'll miss a few passes then hide for the rest of the game.

I am anything but a fan of Butt, but no one else looks like playing that defensive role ATM. Guthrie has bottled many big matches for me, despite the fact he's clearly got enough talent to walk into this midfield. I am really worried if he plays against boro he'll miss a few passes then hide for the rest of the game.

That's reasonable however we are facing Boro - lowest scorers in the league and hardly renowned for possession football. Giving that winning is a priority and we've been especially toothless of late, with respects to priority: Scoring Goals > Not Conceding. [i know a score-draw is no better than a goalless draw, but I just think we've got more chance of outgunning them at SJP].

That's reasonable however we are facing Boro - lowest scorers in the league and hardly renowned for possession football. Giving that winning is a priority and we've been especially toothless of late, with respects to priority: Scoring Goals > Not Conceding. [i know a score-draw is no better than a goalless draw, but I just think we've got more chance of outgunning them at SJP].

Guthrie would be best employed in a defensive midfield role and at home it might well be an option, he clearly isn't ready to dominate as a playmaker yet. To think a week ago we could have had the option of a Guthrie/Barton centre midfield which is what many of have wanted for ages now. It says a lot about Barton that we've gone all season without having the chance to use it.

Southgate: In a perverse way, you'd rather be playing in these games, where something matters, rather than a mid-table game.

:doh:

That's why Boro are where they are under his management.

Don't let us down you cunts. That means you Nicky Butt most of all.

I don't think Nicky Butt will let us down, it's the strikers and attacking midfielders I'll be watching closely.

Don't let us down you c***s. That means you Nicky Butt most of all.

I don't think Nicky Butt will let us down, it's the strikers and attacking midfielders I'll be watching closely.

Nicky Butt is well, well overdue a good performance that fools people into thinking he is still capable of playing at this level. 

Nicky Butt is well, well overdue a good performance that fools people into thinking he is still capable of playi

Nicky Butt is well, well overdue a good performance that fools people into thinking he is still capable of playing at this level. 

If Nicky Butt just does his job as a defensive midfielder that's enough for me in this game. The responsibilty lies with those further forward to spark in this game. We have to win, we can't afford to have any more sterile performances from Owen. Martins, Viduka, Jonas, Nolan, Guthrie or whichever other tosser is supposed to provide or score goals.